Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:19:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to compose a single tx using outputs from multiple wallets?  (Read 1023 times)
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:31:14 PM

I'm figuring that the protocol cannot distinguish whether the signatures from multiple outputs in a transaction are from a single private key or multiple private keys. If so, why not make that feature available? I'll slope away quietly if it's already possible, but I'm fairly sure it can't be done now.

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CircusPeanut

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:38:20 PM

I'm figuring that the protocol cannot distinguish whether the signatures from multiple outputs in a transaction are from a single private key or multiple private keys. If so, why not make that feature available? I'll slope away quietly if it's already possible, but I'm fairly sure it can't be done now.

I think that with the latest testing version (soon to be 0.92) you will be able to do what you describe with "Simul Funding"
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:56:52 PM

I think that with the latest testing version (soon to be 0.92) you will be able to do what you describe with "Simul Funding"

I understand what you mean, but as a specific use, I'm thinking about an unpredictable usage: aggregating these 1 satoshi spam transactions. I've kept my wallets that have ever received spam and have figured that one day the fees and minimum output thresholds will make them spendable (and hopefully a really effective Coinjoin will be available to clean up the taint  Cool)

Vires in numeris
CircusPeanut

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 03:02:21 AM

Not so applicable, but I a planning to create a dust-b-gone plugin. I will post it to the forum when I'm done.
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:43:57 AM

I've since realised that the answer to my original question is a yes, as Coinjoin couldn't work if it wasn't possible to sign one tx with multiple private keys. So it can be done, I just don't think Armory now lets you as a part of it's transaction building GUI. A complete dust-be-gone feature would be nice though, and it'd be especially efficient if it allowed many wallets to one transaction Cheesy

Vires in numeris
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 03:19:47 PM

I've since realised that the answer to my original question is a yes, as Coinjoin couldn't work if it wasn't possible to sign one tx with multiple private keys. So it can be done, I just don't think Armory now lets you as a part of it's transaction building GUI. A complete dust-be-gone feature would be nice though, and it'd be especially efficient if it allowed many wallets to one transaction Cheesy

Strictly speaking, the answer to your subject line is: yes.  The new simulfunding features do allow you to simulfund one transaction from multiple input wallets.   However, talking about dust:  due to the complexity of allowing it, we do not have coin-control available for simulfunding transactions, so your wallet would have to be empty except the dust, in order to guarantee that the dust is used in the simulfunding tx.  If you have 5 wallets with only dust, you could create 5 prom notes for the full amount of each wallet -- which can be done by going to "Merge promissory notes" and then add 5 notes in the interface, one from each wallet.  But if the wallets aren't otherwise empty, it's likely not to behave how you expect.  Though you could just empty all of the wallet entirely back into one of your own wallets, which will destroy the dust and merge all the wallets into a single address/UTXO.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: