Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:30:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Just finished my CS degree, home for a few months. Which of these do you want me to make first? (Read description before voting)
A feature-rich bitcoin web app - 9 (21.4%)
A better bitcoin cross-platform app (mining included) - 8 (19%)
A Bitcoin market-trading app / bot - 4 (9.5%)
A direct and simple Bitcoin currency converter (simple withdrawl method) - 16 (38.1%)
Other (write-in) - 5 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to make some bitcoin software - what do you want? Poll + Donate Vote  (Read 1588 times)
joshuaMachine (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 10:57:07 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2011, 11:42:33 PM by joshuaMachine

Concepts for each option -

1: Bitcoin web application.
- Login to your web account instead of having to import a wallet file
- Multiple wallet support
- Download your wallet (encrypted with your password)
- Upload wallets
- Make new wallets
- Send bitcoins for free, just like normal, and send bitcoins to email addresses for people who don't use bitcoin (no expiration)
- Manage your wallets, view transactions
- Automatic encrypted backups on the server
- Rely on donation support short term, free service
- No fees for using the service
- Mobile support via html5 or possibly native apps
Long term features:
- API to automate bitcoin transactions
- withdraw bitcoins as USD/EUR/other to an account
- advertising support medium term if donations can't cover costs, and in the long term you could expect to earn interest on your bitcoins (bitrist?)

2. Better complete bitcoin application + GPU mining
- Send, receive, generate new addresses, manage wallet and view transactions (all the functionality of the standard bitcoin application)
- Easier wallet backup / restore, including an option to automatically maintain an encrypted cloud backup with a username and password, as a free service (hardware failure is a real phenomenon)
- clean and user-friendly high performance mining on the GPU
- Self updating application that will be available for download from its own website
- More relevant information in the GUI, for example: pulled from the mining pool web interfaces for popular pools, if you are connected to one. Mhps is one important stat, but there are many others, including your income rate history, income rate expectations, current difficulty rating, etc.
Long term features:
- better performance through improved implementation in OpenCL / better algorithms to solve bitcoin mining

3. Bitcoin trading application / bot
- this would be a native app that plugs into the bitcoin markets that have APIs available (or by making my own API via their web interface), lets you track the market and automate the process of buying and selling via a simple scripting language. It would also allow you to use MTgox and eventually others without having to log in  through the web (you could use the native app)

4. Bitcoin currency converter
- web application (possibly native app also if demand is high) that allows you to check the current market conversion rate and withdraw via your preferred, popular method. Paypal, direct deposit USD / EUR, visa cash card, etc. This would be a convenient abstraction that would allow you to avoid having to deal with the markets directly and would not *require* any account if going from bitcoins -> other currency. I know using mtgox to withdraw money can be a nightmare if you are trying to get USD. You either have to withdraw at least $800 (US), or accept 1% fee just to get into an intermediary market and then STILL have another layer of withdrawl on another market (under $800 US), which is totally nuts. Depending on the implementation, you would have lower direct deposit limits for USD (still no fees ideally) - the server would be doing bulk bitcoin withdraw from mgtox, and then sending each person their share of the $800 withdrawl. For Euros, the 2% fee is not avoidable, but withdrawing could still be done in bulk and the fees would be reduced for transactions below $15.

5. Other! Write-in candidate

I'm going to work on one thing at a time and get it good and make it work. There will be plenty of opportunity for alpha and beta testing even a few days after I get started. Please vote. Use votes. Use bitcoins. The way the bitcoin voting is going to work: make a donation, but don't use any digits past the first decimal. Use the second decimal to denote your vote.

Example: I would like to donate 3.5235534 bitcoins towards project #2. Instead, I will simply donate 3.5 bitcoins to project #2, and denote that I am voting for project #2 by donating exactly 3.52 bitcoins. If I wanted to donate 5.1 bitcoins to project #4, I would donate 5.14 bitcoins, exactly. 1 bitcoin to project #1 would be 1.01 bitcoins. get it?

Some of these projects are extensive and will require extra hardware or long term server costs. I have the know-how to get this done quickly and I believe in bitcoins as a currency, so I would like to make it easier for people to use them. I also just graduated college and need money. I also believe in free and open source software if developers can still get paid for their work. Vote to pick the project that you like and also to pledge money towards its implementation. Larger value donate votes are weighted more than lower value donate votes, which are weighted more than poll votes. If you donate and want to help and get early access to the software while it is in the testing phase, let me know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2011, 11:14:58 PM

paypal analog for bitcoin with same API. And stores could use the existing PayPal code for bitcoin trading simply changing the address of the site from paypal.com to yourbitcoinsite.com

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
PabloW

Activity: 228
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 11:19:47 PM

I voted 1 and 2 buta ll options would be great! Im really hoping to see the web app
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 11:22:20 PM

Given you don't have a lot of trust, I'll donate when I see progress - fair? Don't worry, I'm not stingy. Perhaps we could get a bounty setup?
joshuaMachine (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 11:30:56 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2011, 12:42:01 AM by joshuaMachine

Given you don't have a lot of trust, I'll donate when I see progress - fair? Don't worry, I'm not stingy. Perhaps we could get a bounty setup?

You definitely don't have to donate unless you want to - just vote for now. Keep in mind I will need some sort of income to pay for the expenses attributed to these projects. Some will cost more dollars than others but all of them will take a significant amount of time. Donate as you see fit- ramp it up with progress. A donation of 0.01 for project #1 would still carry more weight than a vote for project 2, because that donation signals to me that there exists a willing donor for project #1 that I could count on later, and that would cost you less than the time I already took to write the post out, if you are mining for bitcoins.

Anyway, donating is optional. Small token donations in the early stages are about marking interest. Larger donations later (read:sooner) will be about financial support to pay for time - free software, no advertising, keeping the project alive.
joshuaMachine (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 11:43:40 PM

There are 2 write-in votes but no write-ins... That's not good.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 11:05:48 AM

I would like to see a tool that could split one wallet into two. One of the new wallets would contain all generated coins, and the other new wallet would contain everything else.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 11:10:47 AM

I would like to see a tool that could split one wallet into two. One of the new wallets would contain all generated coins, and the other new wallet would contain everything else.

Wallet tools would be cool. Especially choosing which coin(s) to spend.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 12:12:37 PM

Take a look at Open Transactions. You may find it an interesting open source project.

It can be made bitcoin capable. The wallet project Moneychanger could be just what you are looking for.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Moneychanger

Can already do lots of stuff but needs more work and testing. OT server can be a used as the basis for network of exchangers.

Edit: I think mining software is in good shape, maybe the main client needs the work more can't say, but we desperately need some tools to make it easier for small local exchangers to get up and running.

joshuaMachine (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 01:09:23 PM

Thank you, keep the votes, donations, and information coming. Write-in is also very useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: