Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:08:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: World Economy 'More Fragile than Before 2007 Crash'  (Read 1550 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 01:53:06 AM

BIS chief fears fresh Lehman from worldwide debt surge
The world economy is just as vulnerable to a financial crisis as it was in 2007, with the added danger that debt ratios are now far higher and emerging markets have been drawn into the fire as well, the Bank for International Settlements has warned.

Jaime Caruana, head of the Swiss-based financial watchdog, said investors were ignoring the risk of monetary tightening in their voracious hunt for yield.

“Markets seem to be considering only a very narrow spectrum of potential outcomes. They have become convinced that monetary conditions will remain easy for a very long time, and may be taking more assurance than central banks wish to give,” he told The Telegraph.

Mr Caruana said the international system is in many ways more fragile than it was in the build-up to the Lehman crisis. Debt ratios in the developed economies have risen by 20 percentage points to 275pc of GDP since then.

Credit spreads have fallen to to wafer-thin levels. Companies are borrowing heavily to buy back their own shares. The BIS said 40pc of syndicated loans are to sub-investment grade borrowers, a higher ratio than in 2007, with ever fewer protection covenants for creditors.

More...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/10965052/Bank-for-International-Settlements-fears-fresh-Lehman-crisis-from-worldwide-debt-surge.html
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:15:56 AM

For me this is obvious.
Year after year Obama increase the country's debt ceiling(that is: bigger bomb when it blows up), this year the US government stalled because of no agreement about how spend the money.

Also european governments with their states spending more and more, and with low economic growing and high unemployment.

Even chinese growing is slowing down Sad
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 02:36:58 AM

This is just somebody confirming what most of us already know in the first place, as for the Chinese economy slowing, despite what arrogant Americans believe they are propping up western economies by lending money to us, we're basically scamming them out of their money by giving them worthless treasury bonds and the 'promise' that we'll pay it back within a set period of oh, past their lifetime.

It's the equivalent of me asking you for some money and promising to pay it back after you're dead, the amazing thing is everybody keeps falling for it! As long as people get their free stuff now it's all okay.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:15:58 AM

you can't keep kicking the ball down the road. the longer you kick it, the bigger the explosion we'll see. looks like it might be the great depression 2.0. that would be pretty damn significant, and not just that, we could see our economic world dominance dwindle because of it. look at what happened after the first one... it led the way to make us the world's first superpower.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:03:29 AM

it's amazing how long the economy's been propped up on hot air.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
trader001

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 07:41:34 AM

Those who pay attention know it is just a matter of time before the next meltdown.
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:04:17 PM

Those who pay attention know it is just a matter of time before the next meltdown.

Periodic crisis are the way our economy recovers from some basic mistakes.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:13:31 PM

They are fabricating another world war.. don't worry soon millions.. billions will die so the Royal 13 won't have to give up their power.  Drafts at levels humanity has never seen before.. nuclear waste lands.. Things are gonna get bad.. no use in prepping really u'll end up dead or a slave there are no two ways about it.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:42:32 PM

They are fabricating another world war.. don't worry soon millions.. billions will die so the Royal 13 won't have to give up their power.  Drafts at levels humanity has never seen before.. nuclear waste lands.. Things are gonna get bad.. no use in prepping really u'll end up dead or a slave there are no two ways about it.

People always get less free after a world war. Before 1940 people didn't even have to use passports to travel. All world wars have been started over money and world war 3 would be no different. I don't know if countries would really shoot nuclear missles, people in general are too scared to use them.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 01:23:55 AM

This is one of a number of reasons we are on "BITCOINTALK".

Let them have their paperMoneyMeltdown.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 04:13:11 AM

+1 Very Well said.  I couldn't have put it better if I tried.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 05:10:43 AM

Well said. The problem was "addressed" in 2008 with more debt instead of real reform. You don't smother a fire with more fuel.

Each time I buy bit coin I feel a bit less vulnerable to the inevitable system failure.

trader001

Activity: 166

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 09:39:38 PM

It was compounded and delaying the correction for the mistakes.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:10:25 PM

The longer you delay it the more painful it will be. On a brighter note I just bought another 1.5 btc.  Grin

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 11:34:56 PM

BIS chief fears fresh Lehman from worldwide debt surge
The world economy is just as vulnerable to a financial crisis as it was in 2007, with the added danger that debt ratios are now far higher and emerging markets have been drawn into the fire as well, the Bank for International Settlements has warned.

Jaime Caruana, head of the Swiss-based financial watchdog, said investors were ignoring the risk of monetary tightening in their voracious hunt for yield.

“Markets seem to be considering only a very narrow spectrum of potential outcomes. They have become convinced that monetary conditions will remain easy for a very long time, and may be taking more assurance than central banks wish to give,” he told The Telegraph.

Mr Caruana said the international system is in many ways more fragile than it was in the build-up to the Lehman crisis. Debt ratios in the developed economies have risen by 20 percentage points to 275pc of GDP since then.

Credit spreads have fallen to to wafer-thin levels. Companies are borrowing heavily to buy back their own shares. The BIS said 40pc of syndicated loans are to sub-investment grade borrowers, a higher ratio than in 2007, with ever fewer protection covenants for creditors.

More...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/10965052/Bank-for-International-Settlements-fears-fresh-Lehman-crisis-from-worldwide-debt-surge.html

How can this be bitcoin-off-topic when it clearly calls for a currency that isn't based on debts and potentially infinite money supply?  Wink

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
gmx95

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:01:10 AM

A few well known analysts have predicted a new crisis within next 5 years. That would be the time for bitcoin to shine. :-)

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://novafxtrading.com/bitcoin-trading
onlyu

Activity: 165

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 03:48:16 AM

The longer you delay it the more painful it will be. On a brighter note I just bought another 1.5 btc.  Grin

They can keep delaying it until they are no longer around and let the next generation handle the mess.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:52:08 AM

They can keep delaying it until they are no longer around and let the next generation handle the mess.

That is pretty much the plan. I am opting out. I will not be helping create or clean up the messes these vampires have created.

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:41:48 PM

Even if it benefits Bitcoin im scared. Also, in such a dangerious enviorment, would Bitcoin be even accepted? In total chaos the guy with weapons and food is the guy that rules  Sad

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:27:18 PM

Even if it benefits Bitcoin im scared. Also, in such a dangerious enviorment, would Bitcoin be even accepted? In total chaos the guy with weapons and food is the guy that rules  Sad

Alas this.. not so much to the food as the military might will take it from you.  The #1 form of wealth is armies, armies you control 100% that do not question you.  With that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is yours.

When things go bad the hired armies of the gov (the police) will come to steal EVERYTHING you own.. EVERYTHING including crypto.  If you do not have the means or people to defend yourself you will be killed and everything taken, or enslaved and everything taken...

Things are just not looking good at all..  I have cop friends.. they are 100% brainwashed.  If asked to go wipe out a city there will be no question just action.

It's rather obvious the gun agenda with a massive decrease in gun violence over the past 15 years but the media going on about how bad it's getting and how we HAVE to fix this issue that is getting worse.. when it's getting better... :S..  In my country you'll face years in prison if you are found with a baton... hopefully I can escape south if/when the time comes.  
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:34:29 PM

Even if it benefits Bitcoin im scared. Also, in such a dangerious enviorment, would Bitcoin be even accepted? In total chaos the guy with weapons and food is the guy that rules  Sad

Alas this.. when things go bad the hired armies of the gov (the police) will come to steal EVERYTHING you own.. EVERYTHING including crypto.  If you do not have the means or people to defend yourself you will be killed and everything taken, or enslaved and everything taken...

Things are just not looking good at all..  I have cop friends.. they are 100% brainwashed.  If asked to go wipe out a city there will be no question just action.

It's rather obvious the gun agenda with a massive decrease in gun violence over the past 15 years but the media going on about how bad it's getting and how we HAVE to fix this issue that is getting worse.. when it's getting better... :S..  In my country you'll face years in prison if you are found with a baton... hopefully I can escape south if/when the time comes. 
In the event of a real collapse there won't be a government to oppress, nor will there be an internet to run bitcoin. There will be starvation, disease, and power will be in the hands of those willing to take it. Only food and a few basic goods will have any value. Let's hope it does not come to that.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
unpure

Activity: 169

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 08:32:41 PM

Alas this.. when things go bad the hired armies of the gov (the police) will come to steal EVERYTHING you own.. EVERYTHING including crypto.  If you do not have the means or people to defend yourself you will be killed and everything taken, or enslaved and everything taken...

Things are just not looking good at all..  I have cop friends.. they are 100% brainwashed.  If asked to go wipe out a city there will be no question just action.

It's rather obvious the gun agenda with a massive decrease in gun violence over the past 15 years but the media going on about how bad it's getting and how we HAVE to fix this issue that is getting worse.. when it's getting better... :S..  In my country you'll face years in prison if you are found with a baton... hopefully I can escape south if/when the time comes. 
In the event of a real collapse there won't be a government to oppress, nor will there be an internet to run bitcoin. There will be starvation, disease, and power will be in the hands of those willing to take it. Only food and a few basic goods will have any value. Let's hope it does not come to that.

Hard to imagine it will be a worse case scenario.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 11:49:57 AM

Even if it benefits Bitcoin im scared. Also, in such a dangerious enviorment, would Bitcoin be even accepted? In total chaos the guy with weapons and food is the guy that rules  Sad

Alas this.. when things go bad the hired armies of the gov (the police) will come to steal EVERYTHING you own.. EVERYTHING including crypto.  If you do not have the means or people to defend yourself you will be killed and everything taken, or enslaved and everything taken...

Things are just not looking good at all..  I have cop friends.. they are 100% brainwashed.  If asked to go wipe out a city there will be no question just action.

It's rather obvious the gun agenda with a massive decrease in gun violence over the past 15 years but the media going on about how bad it's getting and how we HAVE to fix this issue that is getting worse.. when it's getting better... :S..  In my country you'll face years in prison if you are found with a baton... hopefully I can escape south if/when the time comes.  

Hard to imagine it will be a worse case scenario.
For examples of worst case, we can look at areas that have had a worst case collapse.  Lebanon, Somalia.  Valuable infrastructure breeds organization to extract tolls, and gangs spring up to collect "taxes" for protecting neighborhoods.  Life goes on.  I can't think of ANY past collapse where some kind of pre existing money system did not continue in use.  Perhaps not the national currency, but some mix of currencies.

A "worst case" collapse of civilization cannot occur from the financial sphere, maybe consider a superbug pandemic, all out nuclear war, or a Carrington event.  Today nuclear war with hundreds or thousands of warheads seems pretty much impossible.

Oh, and around here, cops are not 100% brainwashed....
bananaeater

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 01:01:34 PM

The only conclusion we can draw from History is that nobody draws any conclusions from it.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 07:53:11 PM

Wall St: Bubble Paranoia Setting in as S&P 500 Surge Stirs Angst

Two years of uninterrupted gains in U.S. stocks are sowing anxiety among financial professionals, with three in five saying the market is on the verge of a bubble or already in one, the Bloomberg Global Poll found.

Forty-seven percent of those surveyed said the equity market is close to unsustainable levels while 14 percent already saw a bubble, according to a quarterly poll of 562 investors, analysts and traders who are Bloomberg subscribers. Almost a third of respondents called the market for lower-rated corporate debt overheated and most said stock swings will increase within six months, the July 15-16 poll showed.

More...http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-16/bubble-paranoia-setting-in-as-s-p-500-surge-stirs-angst.html
DannyElfman

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:56:06 PM

I don't think this would be true. The infrastructure of the internet would still be there no matter how badly a economy performs. It is not very expensive to run the internet's infrastructure.

This spot for rent.
onlyu

Activity: 165

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 12:27:36 AM

I don't think this would be true. The infrastructure of the internet would still be there no matter how badly a economy performs. It is not very expensive to run the internet's infrastructure.

It is very expensive and have high dependency on power.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: