Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:47:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Account hacked, email, security question changed  (Read 1615 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 10:43:58 PM

Which bitcoin wallet are you using?

If you are using bitcoin core, click "File", "Sign message", enter your bitcoin address and messsage, and finally click the "Sign Message" button.
I did this the first time today. I got my signature, so what do I do with it?
How do I check this message?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:42:57 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I decided to post one of my btc addresses in case my account were to get hacked. Id appreciate  someone to quote this as well..

thanks...

PS sorry for you hacking loss.

Bigasic btc address  13NgZkHnzSgku8qR7uoBVisSm5n2pdhz2o
Quoting doesn't help - quotes can be faked and the post deleted. I reccommend sending a message to DefaultTrust, going to the Outbox, hovering over the link of your PM and writing down the ID (number at the end).
If you posted a message in the auction section of these forums then your address will be safe as you cannot edit nor delete these messages.
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:47:49 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I decided to post one of my btc addresses in case my account were to get hacked. Id appreciate  someone to quote this as well..

thanks...

Quoting doesn't help - quotes can be faked and the post deleted. I reccommend sending a message to DefaultTrust, going to the Outbox, hovering over the link of your PM and writing down the ID (number at the end).
If you posted a message in the auction section of these forums then your address will be safe as you cannot edit nor delete these messages.

But proving you posted that address and own that address could be a different story the hacker could of had hold of the account for a long time and posted that address.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:04:41 AM

thanks...

But proving you posted that address and own that address could be a different story the hacker could of had hold of the account for a long time and posted that address.

And, what would happen if you switched to a new address? It would be hard proving that you're the owner of the account, I'm guessing.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:11:30 AM

I thought secret questions could not be changed. They are meant to be a passworld you won't be typing everywhere, so the keylogers won't catch, then no need to change if you use a strong secret passworld with maximum length and store it in some vault or something.
hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:27:46 AM

thanks...

That would be why you would post your address in a auction listing early on when you first create your account, or when your account reaches any meaningful status (has positive trust, is a Senior Member or above).

It would be easy to prove that you owned that address as you could simply sign a message with your wallet from that address.
Lieji

Activity: 543

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:55:47 AM

If you are using bitcoin core, click "File", "Sign message", enter your bitcoin address and messsage, and finally click the "Sign Message" button.

IMO, the easiest way is to use https://brainwallet.github.io/#verifyGrin

eid

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:22:35 AM

thanks...

And, what would happen if you switched to a new address? It would be hard proving that you're the owner of the account, I'm guessing.

You would keep the old address too, knowing that you used it for account verification.
eid

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:37:51 AM

Go to the "verify message" tab, insert the address which signed the message, the message body and the signature, and click the verify button.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: