Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:19:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Casascius Bearer Bars - Protective Airtite Case ?  (Read 2398 times)
monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 10:06:34 PM

Does anyone know if there are any airtite cases that fit the casascius bearer bars ?

I have had a quick look, and I dont think they line up with standard size bullion bars, and their airtites.

So I would be very interested to see if anyone else has had any more luck

Thanks !

MN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 04:59:39 AM

Bump (as I would like to find something as well).

nicolasgramlich

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:33:05 AM

Interested too! Or some grading services that accepts these bars! Smiley

icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:21:08 PM

I think I asked this same question a few months back, nobody could point me to any air-tites that fit. I ended up keeping them in plastic sleves/pouches
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 04:40:32 PM

Well, not the type of case people are searching for; however, I currently have my bars in these until something better comes along....

Nimbus Frame
http://www.lindner-usa.com/pg5_englisch/sonstige-sammelgebiete/nimbus-frames.html

Many diff sizes avail.  Not my site.
I will post pics of a bar or two or coins in them if requested.

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:51:57 PM

Can I see a pic of the bar? I wanna know if it's safe so it's worth buying

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 05:29:19 PM

Well, not the type of case people are searching for; however, I currently have my bars in these until something better comes along....

Nimbus Frame
http://www.lindner-usa.com/pg5_englisch/sonstige-sammelgebiete/nimbus-frames.html

Many diff sizes avail.  Not my site.

Those things look awesome!  Thanks for sharing!
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 07:21:04 PM

What do you mean by 'safe'?  It's not meant to protect the coin/bar.  It is more meant as a display.

Judgement call on being worth buying.  You might have spent $600 on the bar plus whatever was added to the bar, so I think spending $20 on the case is well worth it.  Smiley

It is sandwitched between two layers of a type of film (not sticky).  So, you can open and close the case as often as you want (reposition, etc).
If gives the appearance that the object is floating.  When you take a picture or angled right, you can see the film.

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:23:46 PM

Watching, as I'll be looking out for a best fit container solution for these, will post if and what I find.

Btw, I'll buy any perfect condition bars for their loaded BTC value plus 1 BTC, inclusive of insured, tracked, signed for postage and escrow.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:27:16 PM

What do you mean by 'safe'?  It's not meant to protect the coin/bar.  It is more meant as a display.

Judgement call on being worth buying.  You might have spent $600 on the bar plus whatever was added to the bar, so I think spending $20 on the case is well worth it.  Smiley

It is sandwitched between two layers of a type of film (not sticky).  So, you can open and close the case as often as you want (reposition, etc).
If gives the appearance that the object is floating.  When you take a picture or angled right, you can see the film.

well I was thinking about something that would function as an airtight, since they can be used as a nice display (with foam and stands) and it's protective.

Either way, that stand is really really nice!

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:48:47 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 11:10:19 PM by monkeynuts

Nimbus Frame

Many diff sizes avail.  Not my site.

Nice. Thats the best I have seen so far. Would love to see a pic of a bar in one, and then know the size that was bought.

Otoh - if you find anything better would love to hear

Anyone know if its possible to get a custom size airtite made ? Surely there are enough of us with bars to make it economical ? I would be down for 10 straight away. I would go in with someone if there are upfront costs to make it work, equally would gladly get bulk, and resell on here for a small margin

If I can get the right case, I will post some pics, as I have a few very special bars that I am sure folks would like to see
nicolasgramlich

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:53:49 PM

@monkeynuts Count me in on getting a few of those! Smiley

monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:57:48 PM

If I had the first clue about who can do custom size acrylic cases for bullion ... that wouldnt be a problem. At the moment I cant seem to find anything. I am sure there will be a very reasonable option for 50 - 100 units comingfrom China ... just knowing how to engage them

Anyone got any ideas please ?
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:01:17 PM

If I had the first clue about who can do custom size acrylic cases for bullion ... that wouldnt be a problem. At the moment I cant seem to find anything. I am sure there will be a very reasonable option for 50 - 100 units comingfrom China ... just knowing how to engage them

I have a reliable contact in China who could sort this out. I'd need to know exact measurements though. If someone can give me the dimensions of the case they need, I can try and sort it out pretty soon Smiley
monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:05:55 AM

I have a reliable contact in China who could sort this out. I'd need to know exact measurements though. If someone can give me the dimensions of the case they need, I can try and sort it out pretty soon Smiley

Mikes site says bar is 80mm x 40mm x 6mm. I have just measured one, and that seems accurate

It would be worth getting a test case done and to hand (if thats possible ...) for a measure up before any bulk. I'm also not entirely sure what the demand is. I would take a punt with 50, I would need to be clear on demand to have a run of any more.

I will keep my eye out for a redeemed none denom bar, at a reasonable price. I could always get that, and fire over to China for them to use as a template, if that would make it easier. Anyone got one to sell (reasonable pricing please)

monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:06:59 AM

And what what I should have said was thanks AT101ET  Smiley
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:10:43 PM

They seem to make 1 ounce Silver bar airtight cases for smaller sizes.  Not sure if bigger cases exist

http://www.risingstarmint.com/item/acrylic-airtight-bar-capsules/acrylic-airtight-capsules-for-/lid=15174974

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:36:36 PM

I asked this question on a silver forum ...

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-705635.html#p705635

A reply came back (probably Australian $)

"From my limited experience...

Gold plated means that it won't tarnish so you would be looking for protection from scratches rather than from the air, so you probably don't need them to be airtight.

I looked into getting some clamshell packaging made, similar size.

Custom vacuum forming mould $3400-$3800 approx
Die cutting knife  $220- $380

Then you need to add the cost of the actual clam shell, for which they want a minimum order, around 1000 from what I can remember.

They expect you to add the cost of the clamshell to whatever product you are selling so you can pass the cost onto the buyer.

You kind of figure that you could use some yourself and sell the rest, but here is the kicker, the company would retain the vacuuforming molds and reserved the right to sell your product along with their own.  So any thoughts of selling the remaining items as a business would have to take into account that there is a plastics manufacturing company who can sell them cheaper than you can and they haven't had to pay any of the set-up fees.

I gave the whole thing up as a bad idea but I might revisit it now that 3D printing and 'makers' are taking over from the larger companies.

I also got in touch with Ultra-Pro with the idea but they never got back to me, they might be able to help you though, or Lighthouse, they both have archival quality storage solutions for things you didn't even know needed storing."

Seems like price could be too prohibitive here .... unless AT101ET can pull a blinder

But the 3D printing angle caught my attention. But again this is something I dont know an awful lot about

AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:46:32 AM

Just got a few responses. 
So far nobody has the right type of cases to fit the bar.
The sizes Mike chose are a bit unusual.
Anyway, I went down the non air tight route and have found a couple of things that may be a possibility.
They aren't cases that fit exactly but something like a foam insert can be made.
Making a case specific for the size will be quite costly even in china.
They tend to charge a lot for the mould.

Re 3D printing, I've had some experience with it. As a matter of fact I just got something printed for my personal collection Smiley
Anyway, to cut to the point I don't think that it's the best option.
You'd need to get the material right and it'll need some finishing as well.
I'm no expert in clear plastics but I know that it'll be very expensive per print.
I once tried mass producing a 3D printed iPhone case.
The total quite worked out more than an injection mould and the same number of pieces.
On the other hand, if it's just for a couple of pieces then it may be worthwhile.

I'll let you know when I get some more responses.
monkeynuts (OP)
Legendary

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:08:43 PM

I would be interested to hear, thanks for doing this.

http://www.prophila.de/Produktbeschreibung/-/li4836S/145/0/1/1342091408201426041811791125171182.html I can get the type of cases that were talked about earlier for 8.5 euros. Just need to confirm if the 100x100mm is internal or external dimensions.

I will hold fire until I know what you find.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: