Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:59:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweden moving towards cashless economy - opportunity for Bitcoin?  (Read 2670 times)
rat (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:14:35 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 01:46:25 AM by rat

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57399610/sweden-moving-towards-cashless-economy/

hmmmmmm....

the race is on.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:37:24 AM

Unfortunately they are moving towards digital fiat. Yuck.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:40:40 AM

"One should be able to send money and donate money to different organizations without being traced every time," he says.

Bitcoin does not solve that for the ordinary user. But sure, it's an opportunity, I'll give you that.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:40:44 AM

The United States is becoming a cashless society.  The Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008 allows for the IRS to require all purchases by businesses to be reported to the IRS.  The thing is, the credit card company or bank will automatically report the spending to the IRS, or make it really easy to report.  So what the IRS is really doing is requiring any business that uses cash to report the payments.  It does not matter how long it takes a business to spend to get to the threshold amount.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:50:19 AM

IMO Bitcoin needs a few more months for good and easy to use light clients to come out before it can actually be a viable alternative for the average user.

BTW I'm talking to the guy that makes these videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics/videos
I'm hoping to spark an interest in him and maybe he'd want to make a few videos explaining Bitcoin to the average user which I think he'd be really good at. He could also start collecting tips on his other videos and maybe get some love from the Bitcoin economy Tongue

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 02:49:31 AM

The United States is becoming a cashless society.  The Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008 allows for the IRS to require all purchases by businesses to be reported to the IRS.  The thing is, the credit card company or bank will automatically report the spending to the IRS, or make it really easy to report.  So what the IRS is really doing is requiring any business that uses cash to report the payments.  It does not matter how long it takes a business to spend to get to the threshold amount.

Actually the US is moving towards cash with 10% of US residents giving up or loosing their credit cards and 29% of US residents do not have a credit card. http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/poll-1-in-10-americans-gives-up-loses-credit-cards-1276.php

A further downturn in the economy and the use of cash will go up not down.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 03:30:31 AM

IMO Bitcoin needs a few more months for good and easy to use light clients to come out before it can actually be a viable alternative for the average user.

BTW I'm talking to the guy that makes these videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics/videos
I'm hoping to spark an interest in him and maybe he'd want to make a few videos explaining Bitcoin to the average user which I think he'd be really good at. He could also start collecting tips on his other videos and maybe get some love from the Bitcoin economy Tongue

1,724,060 views for Schrödinger's Cat in 5 months!!! This guy is good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:18:18 AM

1,724,060 views for Schrödinger's Cat in 5 months!!! This guy is good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4

I felt high after watching this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIq5CZlg8Rg&feature=relmfu

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 09:26:46 AM

did anyone actually see this as an invitation?

as an opportunity?

to at least provide an alternative while people are looking for one?

Yeah, thanks for the link. I certainly think that the debate about a cashless society could help us spread the word about Bitcoin in Sweden. I will write something about the article on bitcoin.se for starters. Also, I'll contact Oscar Swartz to see if he knows about Bitcoin, seems like a guy who could help spread the word.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:46:11 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 11:51:48 AM by BubbleBoy

The "cashless society" scheme is a crime against society. If we only stop for a moment to think that the European payment market is basically a duopoly between Visa and MasterCard, which charge between 1%-5% on each transaction passing through their systems. That's a few percent of the GDP of a cashless society subverted for the benefit of private entities. It's rent seeking in it's purest form.
But what if the carder lobby succeeds in their evil plan ? What if cash is abolished by law and the carders no longer see it as a competition - what would the fees be then ?

The privacy implications are appalling. The ability to make secret payments and purchases is an essential liberty of a free citizen, a citizen able to overlook his elected representatives. "Money laundering" and "tax evasion" are not reasons to strip essential liberties - criminals will always find ways to move assets, while the general public will lose the ability to fund and engage in counter-governmental activities, effectively setting the stage for a police state.

Governments should go exactly in the opposite direction the carders are pushing: established a public electronic cash system based on chaumian blinding. It should be free to use and guarantee the privacy of person to person transactions. The only way privacy could be removed should be with the cooperation of the other parties in the transaction, thus establishing an acceptable compromise between the privacy of citizens and preventing major crimes such as kidnapping for ransom (which are easier to accomplish with digital cash).

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:33:02 PM

The "cashless society" scheme is a crime against society.

If that were it....

In this scheme, every transaction with require authorization by the government. It may pull the rug under a lot of crime, but it will give the government unprecedented power over ordinary citizens. We will not be able to do a thing as simple as using the subway without explicit permission of both the payment provider and the government. Removing the ability to pay is as simple as pressing [ENTER] in this society but to the individual this is in effect a death penalty.

Everyone who believes that government or corporations will not use this power is kidding themselves. It's a path down to totalitarianism. And once we are there there will be no way back to freedom as long as the leaders are committed totalitarians.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.