Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:34:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin calculation profitability  (Read 1843 times)
The1AndOnlyMessia (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:58:01 PM

Hey:)

Was just wondering how I can calculate whether the bitcoin miner I'm going to buy is profitable or not. Also, what sites do you guys reccomend for calculating this?

Here is the info about the miner I'm going to buy.
NB! I will buy TWO of them.

This is the info for one machine:
Name: sp30 yukon
Seller: Gawminers.com
Watt consumption: 2500 watt from the wall
Hash rate: 6 th/s
Electricity costs: 0.04$ per kw/h

If there are any other info that you need that I haven't listed, please let me know.
Also, is a 35% difficult increase per month realistic? If not, what percentage per month is?

Thank you guys, you're awesome!:)

-Messia

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 09:59:10 PM

Was just wondering how I can calculate whether the bitcoin miner I'm going to buy is profitable or not. Also, what sites do you guys reccomend for calculating this?

If there are any other info that you need that I haven't listed, please let me know.
Also, is a 35% difficult increase per month realistic? If not, what percentage per month is?

-Messia

There are a number of calculators out there that will help you out.  For example, if you input an expected difficulty increase of 20% with a 0% pool fee, $11000 hardware costs, $0.04/kwh, 5000 watts and a start date 60 days from now, and 12TH/s... it's a negative 9BTC return.  Now, if we change up those parameters a bit to be a 10% jump in difficulty, you're at a positive 10BTC return.  Also, if we change the parameters to have BTC priced at $2000 a coin, and leave the difficulty at 20%... you'll see a 4.66BTC return.

That's only 1 calculator.  You can drastically change the outcome depending on the parameters you use.  Take a look in the Mining Speculation forums to see some discussions regarding ROI.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 10:14:35 PM

Mind if i ask where are you getting 0.04$ per kw/h?  I love that number for electricity.
cech4204a

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 11:55:37 PM

YOu can google mining calculator and you will find lots of results. But most of all keep in mind next facts:

-electricity cost
-possible network problems, so you won't be able to mine (same goes for electric cuts)
-depreciation of your hardware
-time needed to sell hardware
-btc price movements
-mining difficulty
-possible hacks
-luck effect
-allternative investment

the list is endless, in the end it's more like gut feeling having effect

Bitcoin is DEAD
Skrillex

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:15:05 AM

This webpage is so handy for calculating mining profits

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/?cal=1
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:54:11 AM

This is the one I like (you can directly select your SP30 hardware):
https://tradeblock.com/mining/

More in general, as already suggested, you can take a look at the Mining speculation subforum.

This is, for example, a thread with other links to mining calculators:
Mining > Mining speculation > best mining calculator
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:21:52 PM

The only problem would be that Spoondolies Tech could turn out to be a scam. Then you would never ROI, lol.
GAWMiners is just a reseller.
PangPang

Activity: 499

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:44:42 PM

-Messia

Go to https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator and you can get an estimation of your profit/loss after entering all the info.
I usually use 15% increase for each period (about 13 days).

The1AndOnlyMessia (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:44:38 PM

Mind if i ask where are you getting 0.04$ per kw/h?  I love that number for electricity.

Norway in the highlands
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:56:51 PM

Calucalations like this are very hard to do properly.
Too much things to consider, energy rate, network outtages etc.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 07:13:28 PM

Norway in the highlands
Won't have too much problem keeping your hardware cool... Grin

As was pointed out, GAWminers is just a retailer/reseller.  Spondoolies-Tech actually produces the miner.  I own their first model (the SP10) and am very satisfied with its performance, although it screams like a banshee

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
byt411

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 07:33:13 PM

Norway in the highlands

As was pointed out, GAWminers is just a retailer/reseller.  Spondoolies-Tech actually produces the miner.  I own their first model (the SP10) and am very satisfied with its performance, although it screams like a banshee

Seriously? I wasn't aware that they had shipped anything at all. So its really noisy? Have you tried adding airflow?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 07:38:58 PM

Norway in the highlands

As was pointed out, GAWminers is just a retailer/reseller.  Spondoolies-Tech actually produces the miner.  I own their first model (the SP10) and am very satisfied with its performance, although it screams like a banshee

Seriously? I wasn't aware that they had shipped anything at all. So its really noisy? Have you tried adding airflow?
I think you might be misunderstanding me.  I own the SP10.  It's the first product SP-Tech produced.  I got it in May.  It's a 1.4TH/s miner based on their Hammer ASIC.  And yes, it screams.  Think jet turbine.  It's a very loud, high-pitched scream.  This is caused by the server PSU fan running 100% (which you cannot control in any fashion) and the actual cooling fans (which you can set from 40% - not quite so loud - to 90% - hope you have earphones).

The SP30 is their second generation machine.  It is based on their 28nm RockerBox ASIC.  It is a 6TH/s machine.  It has not yet been built, since SP-Tech is still waiting to get the chips from the manufacturer.  They have everything ready and as soon as the chips are in will be building and testing.

byt411

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 07:41:28 PM

Norway in the highlands

I think you might be misunderstanding me.  I own the SP10.  It's the first product SP-Tech produced.  I got it in May.  It's a 1.4TH/s miner based on their Hammer ASIC.

The SP30 is their second generation machine.  It is based on their 28nm RockerBox ASIC.  It is a 6TH/s machine.  It has not yet been built, since SP-Tech is still waiting to get the chips from the manufacturer.  They have everything ready and as soon as the chips are in will be building and testing.

I didn't misunderstand. How about its power consumption? SPTech made these machines to be more power efficient, are they in practice?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 07:51:50 PM

Norway in the highlands

I think you might be misunderstanding me.  I own the SP10.  It's the first product SP-Tech produced.  I got it in May.  It's a 1.4TH/s miner based on their Hammer ASIC.

The SP30 is their second generation machine.  It is based on their 28nm RockerBox ASIC.  It is a 6TH/s machine.  It has not yet been built, since SP-Tech is still waiting to get the chips from the manufacturer.  They have everything ready and as soon as the chips are in will be building and testing.

I didn't misunderstand. How about its power consumption? SPTech made these machines to be more power efficient, are they in practice?
Oh... OK, sorry... thought you might have been under the impression that I somehow had an SP30 Smiley.

So... my experience with the SP10 has been from good to very good.  The initial batch of the product (April) had fast corner ASICs and hashed above their advertised rate of 1.4TH/s (usually getting anywhere from 1.5 to 1.6TH/s).  The next batch, the one I got, was unfortunately built out with slow corner ASICs, and initially nobody could get over 1.3TH/s.  Also, if you were running on standard US power at 110/120V, you were limited by the firmware to 1100 watts draw from the PSU.  This further reduced hash rate.  I typically got about 1.25 - 1.28TH/s at about 1000W from the wall.

As time has gone on, Zvisha (firmware god at SP-Tech) has worked very closely with a lot of us to release better and better versions of the firmware, and to help us with customizing the settings.  He also released a way to lift the PSU limit, and accompanied it with a warning to be careful.  So, after using that method and with the latest version of the firmware (1.5.2), my slow-corner May batch now runs at a constant 1.39 - 1.41TH/s at about 1200 watts from the wall.

You can also go the other way with the unit and down-volt it.  Running it at the slowest rate setting (which is called "medium" in the settings), I see about 1TH/s at about 700-750 watts at the wall.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 09:00:30 PM

I found this youtube video that gives you a pretty good idea of what the SP10 sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__crNsd7GEM

You can turn your speakers up nice and high to get the full effect Smiley

Yes, that's really a video of the SP10 hashing.  Yes, it does really scream like that.

Lieji

Activity: 543

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:59:14 AM

I found this youtube video that gives you a pretty good idea of what the SP10 sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__crNsd7GEM

You can turn your speakers up nice and high to get the full effect Smiley

Yes, that's really a video of the SP10 hashing.  Yes, it does really scream like that.

The noise is pretty bad...
Jonny, I hope you are not running your sp10 in your room lol. Tongue

ezreal

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 08:24:13 PM

based on the new antminers coming out with a minimum of 478 gh/s of 1 unit can do and the difficulty will just sky rocket even quicker.
Mobius7

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 09:28:07 AM

based on the new antminers coming out with a minimum of 478 gh/s of 1 unit can do and the difficulty will just sky rocket even quicker.

Looks like you forgot about those terrific 6TH/s SP30 from spondoolies-tech? Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: