Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 07:22:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Payment processing sites that allow bitcoin trading  (Read 3115 times)
weavejester (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:13:59 PM

With the recent closing down of Coinpal, I've been looking into the terms and conditions of alternative payment processing sites, to see whether they would allow buying bitcoins. Some other people are probably doing the same thing, so this thread is an attempt to collect everyone's investigations into one place (or at least a place to report my own investigations).

The sites I've looked at so far:

Google Checkout

Forbids "Financial products, services and stored value" and "Discounted currencies or currency exchanges"  (reference).

Amazon Payments

Forbids "Cash or cash equivalent instruments - including but not limited to money orders, travelers' checks, and generally accepted stored value products." (reference).

AlertPay

Forbids "Using or selling any form of e-cash, web cash or other matter, tangible or not, that is redeemable by a Buyer for a product or service from a third party." (reference).

NoChex

Forbids "Currency, bullion or prepaid debit/credit cards" (reference).

Moneybookers

Requires approval for "money exchange or remittance businesses, including but not limited to bureaux de change, currency exchanges and purchase of travel money" (reference). I enquired about approval for bitcoin, but they told me it would not be allowed. (And even closed down the account I used to make the request!)

So as yet I've not found a payment processing site that seems like it would allow bitcoins. I'll continue to look around, and update this thread as I do.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Challengerek

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:43:56 PM

Interesting! Does anybody know if they don't accept buying financial instruments due to their own internal rules or is there some sort of general legal issue?
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:48:32 PM

Interesting! Does anybody know if they don't accept buying financial instruments due to their own internal rules or is there some sort of general legal issue?

It's probably related to anti-money laundering regulations in whatever jurisdiction they are based in. They just don't want the hassle more than anything I expect.

Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:51:31 PM

If a company allows credit card payments, they won't allow bitcoins. It's been said before, the best options are going to be cash, or e-currencies that do not allow chargebacks, but everyone keeps looking for the easier options. I'd like easier options too, but it just isn't possible.

Tril

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 09:50:09 PM

What country?

dwolla.com works for USA only.  It mentions bitcoins in the FAQ by saying that they're not a "token" like Bitcoins.
I haven't used it yet but am considering signing up. Also I hear mtgox plans to accept Dwolla.
As I boycott PP, Dwolla looks a promising option.

Also, a computer site I shop on - mwave.com - encourages payments through a system called eBillMe.com.
I've used this: you send payment using your existing online bill pay service, and when it clears (I think it takes 2 days),
they ship your order.  Mwave offers a discount/rebate for using eBillMe instead of a CC.

In any case both these systems are unrelated to CC and thus may meet the requirements.  It's still likely
you can reverse transactions, so any site accepting USD and paying BTC, should hold the USD for a while
to reduce chance of reversals, or charge higher fees (I'd say 6-10%) to compensate for the risk.
http://everyjoe.com/work/may-scale-of-monetary-hardness-162/
Tril

Activity: 213

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 10:01:22 PM

The reason PP and other similar systems hate trades for bitcoin, separate from any legal reason,
is that bitcoin are irrevocable and they're not, which gives the transaction higher risk of fraud.  From their
point of view, they will simply see more fraud when payments go to bitcoin (like they did with payments to
e-gold, which was also irrevocable), and probably so much (since e-gold was, and bitcoin is, in such high demand)
fraud, they will simply disallow it to protect themselves.  Liberty Reserve already has irrevocable USD transfers
which makes it ideal to trade with Bitcoin (and I applaud mtgox for accepting it),
which means you still have to find how to get money into LR.

Also, virwox.com started trading in bitcoin, they're the largest 3rd party Second Life Linden (SLL) Dollar exchange.
You can now use Lindens to buy bitcoins directly on virwox.com.
https://www.virwox.com?r=78f8  (this is my referral link)
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 12:06:10 AM

just need to start hacking the system.

here's an example that i think would work

http://secure.newegg.com/GiftCertificate/GiftCardStep1.aspx

i can use my credit card to buy an electronic gift card through newegg.
i then use that gift card as currency.

the trader can set up an account without linking any credit card or bank account to it, when creating the account select "pay by mail with check or money order"
but then when ordering use the gift card.

clearcoin escrow could be used to hold the bitcoins until the newegg order arrives and there are no problems
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:03:22 PM

So if I'm reading this right, it's basically none of them.

What's the official word on Dwolla then?  Is it officially sanctioned under their TOS to trade vs. Bitcoin?  If so, they would be a good option, for U.S. users only of course.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 08:21:26 PM

What's the official word on Dwolla then?  Is it officially sanctioned under their TOS to trade vs. Bitcoin?  If so, they would be a good option, for U.S. users only of course.

Do I need to register and verify a bank account?

Not necessarily. While adding a bank is needed if you wish to unload or load your Dwolla account, you could still send and receive money from other Dwolla users without [registering any] financial institution.

- http://www.dwolla.org/help/the-famous-faq-section/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

river

May 03, 2011, 01:57:37 PM

why is everyone still going on about ... can I convert ....

WTF people .. just buy your shit with BTC .. how @#$% hard is that ...

convert to what .. chipmunks  .. get real .. your using BTC because your sick an F@#$% tired of the Fiat shit ... so why the @#%$ are your all trying to convert back to begin with???  You have real MONEY now .. USE IT.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 01:59:23 PM

why is everyone still going on about ... can I convert ....

convert to what .. chipmunks  .. get real .. your using BTC because your sick an F@#$% tired of the Fiat shit ... so why the @#%$ are your all trying to convert back to begin with???  You have real MONEY now .. USE IT.

How do you propose we obtain BTC to begin with?
river

May 03, 2011, 02:00:31 PM

Start a business .. provide a service, sell goods, request payment in BTC from employer ... Huh just like every other currency.

you want some .. earn it ... that was hard wasn't it!
Ricochet

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 02:05:39 PM

Start a business .. provide a service, sell goods, request payment in BTC from employer ... Huh just like every other currency.

...it's just currency conversion.  I don't see why you have to be so angry about it.  Good luck with your crusade.
river

May 03, 2011, 02:11:25 PM

...it's just currency conversion.  I don't see why you have to be so angry about it.  Good luck with your crusade.

I'm not getting angry .... I'm pointing out the obvious ...

but as for as ..  it's just a .....
no ... it's not .. that's like saying when the Republic of the U.S. was first created .. it was OK to talk about it being a Democracy .. uh .. no it wasn't .. they'd a shot you for treason ... and guee .. all those that still did it .. got there way .. the U.S. IS now a democracy, there is NO law except the guns and corruption that EVERY true democracy brings ...congratulations on that one.

so no ... it's not OK to discuss some things .. or you MAKE them real ...no matter how negative.
Ricochet

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 02:15:00 PM

I don't even know what you're trying to argue anymore, or what relevance it has to the original post here.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 02:22:35 PM

When I can spend bitcoins at the grocery store, there will be little further need for such exchanges. Until then, you would be better served by coming up with ways to make it possible to spend bitcoins at the grocery store.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
pjwaffle

Activity: 539

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:07:39 PM

When I can spend bitcoins at the grocery store, there will be little further need for such exchanges. Until then, you would be better served by coming up with ways to make it possible to spend bitcoins at the grocery store.

Bitmunchies :3

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███      BiB Exchange      ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
S e t   O f f   t h e   W e b 3   G e n e r a t i o n   N o w
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:16:55 PM

The grocery store needs good exchanges, even if you don't.
bearbones

Activity: 316

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 03:27:56 PM

Someone called for groceries?  Bitmunchies is your place!  Cheesy

In all seriousness, though, this is a problem.  Even if you do determine to make BTC through some business, you'll still have to cash them out.  For instance, unless my suppliers will start accepting bitcoins, I'm going to have to convert the majority of my revenue back into USD.  Otherwise it is nothing but a sophisticated conversion technique where one loses USD and gains BTC at a predictable rate.

The thing that won me over is that a prepaid cc works just fine for my suppliers.  It is a little inconvenient, but how many things are there that you are required to pay in cash?  Hell, I'm pretty sure you can even pay your taxes with a cc.  As long as you keep your day job, and at least a little cash, BTC and prepaid cc are 100% useful.

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
Drifter

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 03:45:55 PM

How old are you?  Roll Eyes

My boss doesn't hand out checks in bitcoins and I'm not a retailer. Last time I checked, the grocery store and the gas pump don't have a bitcoin addresses. My bills? Can't pay them with bitcoins either.

Get real.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: