Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:33:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thailand Approves Fully-Legal Bitcoin Exchange  (Read 2187 times)
sugarfree

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:32:08 AM

I lived in Thailand and BTC was never really banned. There have been other exchanges, namely BahtCoin running uninterrupted for quite some time. With that said, this is a much better exchange and I'm glad it's back.

Can you list any bars restaurants or other shops who accept Bitcoin in Thailand? I only see a couple of hotels in the south on coinmap.org.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
annoyingorange

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:36:55 AM

Can you list any bars restaurants or other shops who accept Bitcoin in Thailand? I only see a couple of hotels in the south on coinmap.org.

Unfortunately there really aren't any. I'm going to be working on changing that over the next couple of months here. I'll report back when I make some progress!
sugarfree

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:38:26 AM

I lived in Thailand and BTC was never really banned. There have been other exchanges, namely BahtCoin running uninterrupted for quite some time. With that said, this is a much better exchange and I'm glad it's back.

But it IS illegal to send Bintcoins from/to Thailand out of another country? That what i have heard/read, but all i'm reading now is about the exchange.
annoyingorange

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:43:12 AM

But it IS illegal to send Bintcoins from/to Thailand out of another country? That what i have heard/read, but all i'm reading now is about the exchange.

Absolutely not. There was never a single law passed in Thailand concerning Bitcoin. All of this stemmed from what one dude at the Ministry of Finance said a long time ago and it being misrepresented as law. They aren't even capable of making laws, they just enforce already existing ones.
sugarfree

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:45:14 AM

Unfortunately there really aren't any. I'm going to be working on changing that over the next couple of months here. I'll report back when I make some progress!

Okay, good luck with it
ipnone5only

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:02:21 AM

I wouldn't say this is huge, but it's definitely big when a central bank reverses their position towards Bitcoin. I could see China and Russia do the same now.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:09:42 AM

Thought bitcoin was banned in Thailand last year.

No, the Bank of Thailand reviewed their stance on Bitcoin and clarified it. And now there are two exchanges operating legally in Thailand.
RepublicSpace

Activity: 145

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 09:51:48 AM

I wouldn't say this is huge, but it's definitely big when a central bank reverses their position towards Bitcoin. I could see China and Russia do the same now.

I've always been of the opinion that central banks, as a monolithic entity, are no different than a day trader on gox.

They are human beings and subject, in aggregate, to the same conflicting emotions, ie panic/fear/capitulation, that traders are susceptible to in figuring out this Bitcoin thang.

That's how powerful it is.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 02:05:56 PM

Thought bitcoin was banned in Thailand last year.

actually bitcoin is banned NOWHERE.

emeraldforce

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:16:01 PM

Thailand MOON! Go Thailand Go!
EFFV

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:47:44 PM

I really wish we had something like this in the US, something that was very simple.  I'd love to be able to have my bank account $ transferred into BTC just by doing 1 click, and being able to trade it back into fiat just as easily.  I think there's a huge market there, if someone could figure out all the legal red tape.

haha. If it was this easy I would not have any USD left. ....oh wait I already don't.

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:22:57 PM

I really wish we had something like this in the US, something that was very simple.  I'd love to be able to have my bank account $ transferred into BTC just by doing 1 click, and being able to trade it back into fiat just as easily.  I think there's a huge market there, if someone could figure out all the legal red tape.

haha. If it was this easy I would not have any USD left. ....oh wait I already don't.

Which really is - at this point - a hell of a lot risk. Never go full BTC Smiley
But I guess you contemplated the risks/rewards, I just remind you that it's pretty risky...

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 07:15:22 PM

Which really is - at this point - a hell of a lot risk. Never go full BTC Smiley
But I guess you contemplated the risks/rewards, I just remind you that it's pretty risky...

People who are in full BTC, I do appreciate that they are "making a stand" and acting on their principles, or taking a big risk to try to get a big reward...but on the other hand I think they must not have a family they have depending on them.  I think it's totally irresponsible to be full BTC if you have people depending on you because there is a chance BTC would go back to $1, or worse.
titulng

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

HubrisOne

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:14:48 AM

Bluff, China said it is legitimate too, and then?

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██
▀█████████████████▀
WP

dlzc

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:58:48 AM

I agree you said. But Thailand's economy is not so good, I think it has a little difficult
Thailand really should embrace BTC as it suit their economical model perfectly.

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:56:40 AM

I agree you said. But Thailand's economy is not so good, I think it has a little difficult

Really? Why do you say that?  The Thai economy is actually quite good and quite robust as far as I can tell.
Guido (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 08:58:17 AM

when bar fines can be paid in crypto, it has arrived  Grin

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:18:43 PM

Really? Why do you say that?  The Thai economy is actually quite good and quite robust as far as I can tell.

They had this damning price fixing of rice to a high level. Lots of rice destroyed in storage, and the government could eventually not pay out the farmers. If this story has ended now, please tell us.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 06:27:46 PM

Really? Why do you say that?  The Thai economy is actually quite good and quite robust as far as I can tell.

They had this damning price fixing of rice to a high level. Lots of rice destroyed in storage, and the government could eventually not pay out the farmers. If this story has ended now, please tell us.

Yes, it's over now. The Army immediately paid out all the farmers out of public funds. Thankfully that whole situation is over with for the most part. Just cleaning up the damage that was done.

That was probably one of the worst policies I've ever heard of.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: