Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:23:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When is a smaller block time worse ?  (Read 1866 times)
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 10:29:19 PM

Orphans, Forks.. Both very serious problems in the incentive structure of a coin.

Also the shorter the blocktime, the less secure is a confirmation. Because less luck is needed to "overtake" the network speed with <50 %  hashpower.

Doublespending!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:40:43 PM

ok guys.

no matter if its 10minutes, 2 minutes or 1 minute. the argument will continue on and on and on forever, where people will say:
"but at starbucks if a customer wants a coffee, do you realise how long a minute is between the time of the customer paying, and then being to to not move, not leave. whilst the cashier sits there waiting the whole minute for the coin to confirm. in that minute you will probably have a 2 more people coin the queue. then on the second customer 2 more people join the queue, meaning now 3 waiting. and so on"

so no matter how long the confirm time is .. its too long.
so forget confirmed transactions. PLEASE!

please get it out of your mind that fast food places will ever wait for confirmations. instead this is the only 2 solutions
1. accept unconfirmed, because the value is low.
2. just like paypal (pre deposit funds to get confirmed) then simply move funds OFFCHAIN to the recipient, via a third party wallet service that has liability insurance to cover each customer for a daily spend amount of under $100 of bitcoin.

as for products over $100 then you can argue about confirmation times, which customers and merchants would be more acceptable to wait around for.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 10:43:22 PM

ok guys.

no matter if its 10minutes, 2 minutes or 1 minute. the argument will continue on and on and on forever, where people will say:
"but at starbucks if a customer wants a coffee, do you realise how long a minute is between the time of the customer paying, and then being to to not move, not leave. whilst the cashier sits there waiting the whole minute for the coin to confirm. in that minute you will probably have a 2 more people coin the queue. then on the second customer 2 more people join the queue, meaning now 3 waiting. and so on"

so no matter how long the confirm time is .. its too long.
so forget confirmed transactions. PLEASE!

please get it out of your mind that fast food places will ever wait for confirmations. instead this is the only 2 solutions
1. accept unconfirmed, because the value is low.
2. just like paypal (pre deposit funds to get confirmed) then simply move funds OFFCHAIN to the recipient, via a third party wallet service that has liability insurance to cover each customer for a daily spend amount of under $100 of bitcoin.

as for products over $100 then you can argue about confirmation times, which customers and merchants would be more acceptable to wait around for.

There will be easy services for that. like "green"-addresses, where the merchant can be sure that he will get the BTC.

Easy 0-conf acceptance.

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 10:48:08 PM

10 minute confirmations is a good amount of time for confirmations. On average there is only a 1/600 chance that a particular block mined will be orphaned. If you get the chances of an orphan to be much higher then that, then it becomes a better possibility that the only block that a miner finds in a day, or a two week period is orphaned due to a small percentage of the overall network hashrate. If the confirmation time is too much longer then it would take too long for transactions to confirm, making it less convenient for consumer use.  
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:53:39 PM

"but at starbucks if a customer wants a coffee, do you realise how long a minute is between the time of the customer paying"

I don't know about you but when I go to Starbucks I see almost every single customer using a Starbucks prepaid card. The only thing you need BTC for is to reload the card, which can take as long as necessary.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:19:26 AM

"but at starbucks if a customer wants a coffee, do you realise how long a minute is between the time of the customer paying"

I don't know about you but when I go to Starbucks I see almost every single customer using a Starbucks prepaid card. The only thing you need BTC for is to reload the card, which can take as long as necessary.

yep you get it. what you just said is my solution number 2

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: