Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: error loading blkindex.dat  (Read 12011 times)
Financier (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 03:34:49 AM

2 days ago installed bitcoin wallet on windows xp, i have 2BTC sent to my address but cannot verify balance because when trying to open btc wallet today all i get is this message "error loading blkindex.dat"
also it takes extremely long time to sync with network(yesterday), i have broadband connection 1-1.5MB/sec, yet couldnt sync with network after about 1 hour it still shows 38%
i have no antivirus and firewall is disabled
my first impression this system is totally unreliable, bitcoin=shitcoin
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 03:36:25 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2012, 02:34:13 AM by Kluge

There is a fool-proof lightweight client here: http://ecdsa.org/electrum/

ETA from the future: Hm, I guess it really isn't fool-proof. ... Or maybe it is?
Financier (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 01:10:42 PM

There is a fool-proof lightweight client here: http://ecdsa.org/electrum/

maybe fool-proof but not scam proof, why would anyone use client from untrusted source? go spam your link somewhere else
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 10:17:41 PM

maybe fool-proof but not scam proof, why would anyone use client from untrusted source? go spam your link somewhere else
Funny that a noob with a dozen or so posts under their belt should say that Roll Eyes
I don't think you ever visited the alternative clients subforum, did you?
Financier (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:04:06 AM

Funny that a noob with a dozen or so posts under their belt should say that Roll Eyes
I don't think you ever visited the alternative clients subforum, did you?

the alternative client is certified by the subforum? Wow that is all i need to know, thank you for enlightening me wise man LOL
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:41:14 AM

Delete the FUCKING blockchain and download it again...
Happy now? tell me in a couple days!
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:43:01 AM

+1, I just had to do this and it worked.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
jake262144

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 07:50:15 AM

the alternative client is certified by the subforum? Wow that is all i need to know, thank you for enlightening me wise man LOL
bitcoin=shitcoin

I don't know - nor have I said anything - about the client being certified, but I am well aware who's acting as if they are certifiable...
Electrum is a well-known open source project, for crying out loud: grab the source, study it, compile and install when you have satisfied yourself that it is safe.

As a general piece of advice, taking a more humble approach when asking for help might be a strategy well worth considering.
Financier (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 01:55:32 PM

thanks psy someone else advised that and i did try, it starts shows 99% than crashes with runtime error, next thing i will try to export/import private key and reinstall the wallet
jake262144

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 02:11:30 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2012, 04:10:53 PM by jake262144

Make sure you have a copy of %appdata%\bitcoin\wallet.dat somewhere safe as this file holds all your private keys.
Uninstall the bitcoin client and remove the %appdata%\bitcoin directory.
Reinstall the client and try to re-download the blockchain.
You can swap in the backed-up wallet.dat later on if you succeed.

Frankly, I'm wondering whether the fact you're running an 11 year old OS with no AV protection and no firewall might have something to do with your current predicament.

Do you have another machine you could install the client on?
Install the client (don't launch it yet), create the %appdata%\bitcoin directory and place a copy of the wallet.dat inside it, then launch the client and wait until it downloads the blockchain.

BTW, you can download the blockchain yourself from the project's sourceforge page.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:54:05 PM

I have bitcoin installed on windows XP 32 bits without a problem. And it works. I should add that it's not the very last version, so maybe there is an issue with the latest on Windows XP.

Or you have a corrupted HDD or a lot of fragmented files. I had an HDD die from running Bitcoin on Windows 7. Fragmentation killed it.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:59:48 PM

I have bitcoin installed on windows XP 32 bits without a problem. And it works. I should add that it's not the very last version, so maybe there is an issue with the latest on Windows XP.

Or you have a corrupted HDD or a lot of fragmented files. I had an HDD die from running Bitcoin on Windows 7. Fragmentation killed it.
Windows 7 defrags on a schedule every Wednesday at 1AM local time. It also has some mods to the write process that reduces initial fragmentation. In short, I'm pretty sure your drive was about to die and the excessive number of seek ops pushed it over the edge.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 06:17:12 PM

Windows 7 defrags on a schedule every Wednesday at 1AM local time. It also has some mods to the write process that reduces initial fragmentation. In short, I'm pretty sure your drive was about to die and the excessive number of seek ops pushed it over the edge.

If you leave your bitcoin running 24/7 it will never defrag the files as they are in use when the defragmentation occurs.
Add to that the fact that most people turn off their computers overnight...
My case was the former. Other persons may experience the latter.
My solution was to change my 24/7 Bitcoin node to a Linux box.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 06:36:22 PM

bitcoin=shitcoin
Financier=idiot

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Financier (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:28:28 AM

kokjo=asshole
Financier (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:39:56 AM

i have latest blockchain and wallet.dat, will reinstall on my new laptop tomorrow, i will make this work, however i do not see how an average person would go through this much of trouble, bitcoin goes mainstream soon? i do not think so, unload your bitcoins while fools are still buying :-)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:42:01 AM

i have latest blockchain and wallet.dat, will reinstall on my new laptop tomorrow, i will make this work, however i do not see how an average person would go through this much of trouble, bitcoin goes mainstream soon? i do not think so, unload your bitcoins while fools are still buying :-)
As has been stated multiple times by multiple people, there are lightweight clients available. You do not need to download the Satoshi Client (which is not really "official"), nor download the blockchain. That problem was solved long ago.
Financier (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:57:38 AM

As has been stated multiple times by multiple people, there are lightweight clients available. You do not need to download the Satoshi Client (which is not really "official"), nor download the blockchain. That problem was solved long ago.

I will try that tomorrow, the latest blockchain file is over 1GB, you are saying that your client will sync in timely manner and i do not need to download the file, alright i will give it a try
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 07:36:37 AM

Search for Electrum
Sant001

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:01:20 AM

So if I could just download the file blkindex.dat from someone else I would be up and running again and possibly avoid all the download time?

I have formatted my PC and I was now on the 2nd day downloading the blockchain, until my PC lost power and shutdown couple minutes ago. Now I'm getting same error as the OP.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: