Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:02:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal as honeypot...  (Read 3204 times)
Anonymous

May 02, 2011, 05:41:53 AM

With coinpal being shut down has anyone noticed an increase in account suspensions of people who bought or sold bitcoins using the service ?

Would it not be easy for paypal to know who the customers are and then mass ban anyone who traded for bitcoins?

Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 06:04:36 AM

With coinpal being shut down has anyone noticed an increase in account suspensions of people who bought or sold bitcoins using the service ?

Would it not be easy for paypal to know who the customers are and then mass ban anyone who traded for bitcoins?

Undecided

I highly doubt they would do that.  They only want to stop bitcoin use, they don't want to cut their customer base.  Paypal is always first to go, as in the poker world.  They just don't want to be part of the bitcoin system legal or not.
colossus

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Obey me and live or disobey and die.

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 06:27:46 AM

This is indeed bad, coinpal was simple no thrills exchange cash for coins, plus paypal was a nice method to convert the coins into useable cash that could appear at the ATM. I'm not sure why they frooze his account really if he has cash to give away in exchange for btc isn't that his prerogative, no doubt it was the volumes both large and small that drew attention, perhaps this is a temporary thing time will tell.

Cry
AmpEater

Activity: 232
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 12:38:16 PM

This is indeed bad, coinpal was simple no thrills exchange cash for coins, plus paypal was a nice method to convert the coins into useable cash that could appear at the ATM. I'm not sure why they frooze his account really if he has cash to give away in exchange for btc isn't that his prerogative, no doubt it was the volumes both large and small that drew attention, perhaps this is a temporary thing time will tell.

Competition. Paypal got wise and realized they were helping a competitor bootstrap itself into existence.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 01:16:35 PM

Competition. Paypal got wise and realized they were helping a competitor bootstrap itself into existence.

It's more likely they would have trouble with regulations than they are scared.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 02:23:33 PM

I used CoinPal twice and so far my account remains active.  I'm hoping that this doesn't change in the near future.
Mahkul

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 02:52:14 PM

If you're buying through BitMarket, Paypal has no way of knowing what you paid for. And we are certainly not going to disclose this information to them under any circumstances.
Anonymous

May 03, 2011, 06:57:27 AM

If you're buying through BitMarket, Paypal has no way of knowing what you paid for. And we are certainly not going to disclose this information to them under any circumstances.

tell them you bought carrots Smiley
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 07:37:05 AM

They cannot do anything too obvious - if the story breaks that they are afraid of bitcoin this would validate our currency immensely.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 07:50:59 AM

Undecided

For what purpose? Making sure they use BTC only and demand BTC services and shops? k, thx PP.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 11:32:15 PM

I think we should start a book on the date for when PayPal officially folds, Chap. 7 or 11. ... they have made so many backward looking moves for a supposed "tech. company" I just can't see them being around that long, at least in the money business. Maybe they are already technically insolvent and that is why they are so govt, risk averse? Doesn't speak of a strong corporation.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 11:51:45 PM

I think we should start a book on the date for when PayPal officially folds, Chap. 7 or 11. ... they have made so many backward looking moves for a supposed "tech. company" I just can't see them being around that long, at least in the money business. Maybe they are already technically insolvent and that is why they are so govt, risk averse? Doesn't speak of a strong corporation.

Paypal is owned by Ebay.  I don't see that falling any time soon.  Sure, you used to be able to pay for auctions in other ways, but since the acquisition, Ebay has made non-paypal payment methods increasingly difficult.  Of course, putting up arbitrary walls to foster your own interests is the best way to make room for competition.  I guess it could happen if they get too paranoid.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 12:52:44 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2011, 10:12:31 AM by sgornick

I think we should start a book on the date for when PayPal officially folds, Chap. 7 or 11. ...

They are providing the strongest growth for eBay.

Love this quote though:
  "Good competition makes us play better."  - PayPal's president Scott Thompson
  http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4674740/thompson-paypals-mobile-business-is-explosive/

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2011, 01:52:58 AM

Do it.  But I would bet they would live a long time as much as I dislike them.  Even if Dwolla, facebook money and Bitcoin start to make inroads it will take years to unseat PreyPal.  As long as eBay and PrayPal are linked block out others in the auction space one near monopoly supports another.

mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 10:25:14 PM

As far as I can tell, PayPal hasn't frozen the accounts of any of my customers.
Tukotih

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 08:25:33 AM

...Love this quote though:
  "Good competition makes us play better."  - PayPal's president Scott Thompson
  http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4674740/thompson-paypals-mobile-business-is-explosive/
Lol, good competition made them scared, desperate and impulsive Tongue

Donations always appreciated: 1GkRu9rZxk5iMRzsrcZxZ3BUHV1SWNZ9RB
IMPORTANT! Switch from deepbit: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 09:53:48 AM

As far as I can tell, PayPal hasn't frozen the accounts of any of my customers.
I can confirm that, so far nothing changed on my account.
Hope your account will be returned to you and you don't lose anything.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: