Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ungraded 1893-S Morgan Silver Dollar, accepting BTC or other coins  (Read 4578 times)
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:53:40 PM

Must have hit a nerve if the spelling police had to come out!

Seriously, post the actual pics of the coin and I bet some here would be interested...
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:13:32 PM

Wow, I never knew we had so many numismatic experts here!  I just Copy and Pasted the photos from ebay as it is the same type of coin as mine, and no photos I was able to take with my iphone came out very well, there were always shadows in it somewhere.

That's not my ebay auction.

I could try again later to take better photos, maybe outside in shaded daylight so it looks more even for light and dark areas.

And if anyone feels I am selling it too cheaply, I will be happy to accept more for it!  I figured I'd price it at a level where even if it comes out low on the grading scale, the buyer doesn't lose money on it.

RedGummyBear - L2Spell.  "poured" has a letter "u" in it.  You wrote "pored".

Djjacket - you L2Spell too.  In your case, "pour" should be "poor".

Haha, good call on the "Word Crimes" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

But you shouldn't be posting on threads while driving...

timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:14:13 PM

You all are making me think I should get it graded and sell it myself!  Maybe I will do that and make more money off of it than just 2.5 BTC.
djjacket

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:22:26 PM

You all are making me think I should get it graded and sell it myself!  Maybe I will do that and make more money off of it than just 2.5 BTC.

You should - This coin is one of the most faked and altered Morgans and a buyer would be pretty foolish to purchase one without getting it authenticated.  That's what grading will do for you.

The fact that you posted an image of a coin that was not yours and did not disclose this makes it very scammy since the value of the coin very much depends on its condition - Your coin could have a hole in the middle of if for all we know.
RedGummyBear

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

♀ ♥

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:07:09 PM

Wow, I never knew we had so many numismatic experts here!  I just Copy and Pasted the photos from ebay as it is the same type of coin as mine, and no photos I was able to take with my iphone came out very well, there were always shadows in it somewhere.

I could try again later to take better photos, maybe outside in shaded daylight so it looks more even for light and dark areas.

And if anyone feels I am selling it too cheaply, I will be happy to accept more for it!  I figured I'd price it at a level where even if it comes out low on the grading scale, the buyer doesn't lose money on it.

RedGummyBear - L2Spell.  "poured" has a letter "u" in it.  You wrote "pored".

Djjacket - you L2Spell too.  In your case, "pour" should be "poor".

Thanks for pointing out my typo.  I'm glad i could be of service pointing out this fake coin. So your using a photo from Ebay and trying to sell a coin that you claim you have but don't have any real pictures.  Every time you type something new it makes you look worse.

The key to my ♥ has been lost. Call a locksmith
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:46:43 PM

Picture with the coin next to your forum name and date hand written on a piece of paper, regardless of whether you're going to try to sell it.  The fact that you say you've had the coin for 20 years and it still isn't graded is a sign as well.  Any collector would have even the shittiest coin graded to prove authenticity.  Going forward people will think you are a scammer because of this thread.

Hell... if I see a post from you to sell something, I'll refer people to this thread with a warning.

I'm tired of fucking scammers.  Especially ones trying to get this much money.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:10:57 AM

I never said I had it 20 years.
wafdawg

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:41:57 AM

Per my 2013 Red Book:

A 1893-S graded MS67 sold in a Heritage auction in 2011 for $546,250.  Mintage 100K, In VF-20 it is worth $5200, EF-40, $9k, AU-50 $20K, MS60 $120K, MS63 $185K, MS64 $330K, and lastly in MS65 $650K. 

Anyone who really has this coin would know its worth.  This coin is fake to death.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 04:40:58 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 09:17:30 PM by Possum577

Picture with the coin next to your forum name and date hand written on a piece of paper, regardless of whether you're going to try to sell it.  The fact that you say you've had the coin for 20 years and it still isn't graded is a sign as well.  Any collector would have even the shittiest coin graded to prove authenticity.  Going forward people will think you are a scammer because of this thread.

Hell... if I see a post from you to sell something, I'll refer people to this thread with a warning.

-Fuse

You should probably stop fucking scammers then!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

BTW, I was the one that has had coins like these for 20 years. The earliest is dated 1882.

ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582

HODL for life.

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:25:33 PM

Picture with the coin next to your forum name and date hand written on a piece of paper, regardless of whether you're going to try to sell it.  The fact that you say you've had the coin for 20 years and it still isn't graded is a sign as well.  Any collector would have even the shittiest coin graded to prove authenticity.  Going forward people will think you are a scammer because of this thread.

-Fuse

You should probably stop fucking scammers then!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

BTW, I was the one I said had coins like these for 20 years. The earliest is dated 1882.

OK... I got the 20 year thing mixed up.

You did get me though... that was pretty good  Cheesy.

Either way, timk225... clear up the situation or someone will end up putting a scam accusation thread in the scam subforum.  It might even be me.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:18:40 PM

I'm going to take it to some coin collectors after work today or tomorrow.  I did a google search, and there are some big fancy shops in the city that claim they can estimate its grade, so we will see what they say about it.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 05:17:21 PM

I just Copy and Pasted the photos from ebay as it is the same type of coin as mine,

Are you fuking dumb? Or just playing dumb? When you have a coin like this, you would know that condition is everything because it's a numismatic. Why steal a picture and say your coin is the same "type" of coin.

robhimself

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Calling out scams, one HYIP at a time...

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:29:23 AM

I just Copy and Pasted the photos from ebay as it is the same type of coin as mine,

Are you fuking dumb? Or just playing dumb? When you have a coin like this, you would know that condition is everything because it's a numismatic. Why steal a picture and say your coin is the same "type" of coin.

There's no way anyone is that dumb, clearly a scammer.

xjack

Activity: 539
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:34:48 AM

just get a magnet and see if the coin is attracted to the magnet.

...and if its not magnetic all you've proven is that it doesnt contain ferrous materials.

Terrible testing method.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 05:06:53 AM

You guys/gals did a great job calling bull shit when things didn't sound right from the beginning. I feel better about this community knowing that so many people are genuinely interested in make sure others, strangers, won't get ripped off.

timk225 (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:23:01 AM

I took it to two coin collector shops yesterday that said they could estimate it.  One gave it a VG-10 rating and the other an F-12.  I looked up the grading scale and it is on the low end.   I will probably put them on ebay or ask the coin shops what price they want to offer for them.
Treggar

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 01:51:15 PM

Seems shady.  Why not just take a picture of it?  You really expect someone to buy something they haven't seen?
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 02:02:52 PM

You guys/gals did a great job calling bull shit when things didn't sound right from the beginning. I feel better about this community knowing that so many people are genuinely interested in make sure others, strangers, won't get ripped off.

We are just tired of all the scams we see here every day...being screwed over has made us like this unfortunately.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 12:56:27 PM

I took it to two coin collector shops yesterday that said they could estimate it.  One gave it a VG-10 rating and the other an F-12.  I looked up the grading scale and it is on the low end.   I will probably put them on ebay or ask the coin shops what price they want to offer for them.
Shops will not give you a good price, its basically like a pawnshop would do. Please consider my offer. I will pay your asking price if it is genuine and you ship first and allow me an inspection before payment. If I have any issues with it I will return it at my own expense. I don't think you will get a better deal than that, especially here.
timk225 (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 03:34:45 PM

I don't think I will sell it to anyone here, I don't appreciate the attitude I have been given about it.  I'll either deal with a coin shop directly or put it on ebay.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: