Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:29:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips so you don't get your coins stolen.  (Read 1788 times)
obocaman

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:07:26 PM

Would you trust storing it into the cloud or in some email provider like gmai?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:21:29 PM

1.Disable Flash on everything but youtube(or anything you deem safe)
2. Disable or delete Java.
3. Don't download cracked programs OR download only those older than 2012 or older.
4. Don't store your wallet on Dropbox.

Follow above steps, and you don't even need to run an anti-virus, which is btw, recommended. You can thank me when your 1btc you kept safe is worth $100k.

Basic steps but something which not a lot of people listen too.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
Shogen
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:29:05 PM

Definitely not, unless you have encrypted the file with good strong password. Smiley

Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:26:06 PM

3. Don't download cracked programs OR download only those older than 2012 or older.

Follow above steps, and you don't even need to run an anti-virus, which is btw, recommended. You can thank me when your 1btc you kept safe is worth $100k.

5. Encrypt your wallet with a strong password, 10 - 15 chars in length with random characters. Do not store your wallet and password in the same storage
6. Install no-script addon to protect our computer from malicious scripts when visiting untrusted site
Encrypting the wallet does nothing if you install a keylogger. I will let you on a secret. These 3 years, I've never encrypted my wallet, don't even have an anti-virus but my computer is squeaky clean. I just follow those three steps above.
I've also gained the skill of reverse engineering allowing me to peek into the assembly of potentially malicious exes before I run them. I've also thought of implementing custom software to specifically protect from suspicious programs reading wallet.dat or installing keyloggers.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
whiteflight31

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:38:34 PM

5. Encrypt your wallet with a strong password, 10 - 15 chars in length with random characters. Do not store your wallet and password in the same storage
6. Install no-script addon to protect our computer from malicious scripts when visiting untrusted site
Encrypting the wallet does nothing if you install a keylogger. I will let you on a secret. These 3 years, I've never encrypted my wallet, don't even have an anti-virus but my computer is squeaky clean. I just follow those three steps above.
I've also gained the skill of reverse engineering allowing me to peek into the assembly of potentially malicious exes before I run them. I've also thought of implementing custom software to specifically protect from suspicious programs reading wallet.dat or installing keyloggers.

This software would be nice, I don't think there's a program like this on the market / on the web.
ReRunRod

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:39:28 PM

I keep my coins in my android wallet and back everything up! Wink
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:41:32 PM

Your android phone is much more vulnerable than you think. There are many apps out there that are malicious and can potentially steal your coins.

ReRunRod

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:53:29 PM

Your android phone is much more vulnerable than you think. There are many apps out there that are malicious and can potentially steal your coins.

Understood on that account. I develop for Android. I remove all coding that has to do with location and data storing. I only have a total of 10 apps that I install nothing more. Phone is rooted and running a program called "Logging Remover" made by Trev-E @ xda developers. Linux is much harder to crack than windows Smiley

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/carrier-iq-sues-treve/
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/logging-test-by-treve-sassibob-review/
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:47:07 PM

Understood on that account. I develop for Android. I remove all coding that has to do with location and data storing. I only have a total of 10 apps that I install nothing more. Phone is rooted and running a program called "Logging Remover" made by Trev-E @ xda developers. Linux is much harder to crack than windows Smiley

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/carrier-iq-sues-treve/
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/logging-test-by-treve-sassibob-review/
Here is somebody that had his Android phone compromised https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=704041.msg7960933#msg7960933

Also, Linux is not inherently harder to crack, it's just that hackers have not shifted focus on it.

williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 11:48:22 PM

I would probably use xapo.com. Their vault is fully insured and I don't have to worry about encryption and losing paper wallets and stuff like that.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:18:39 AM

I would probably use xapo.com. Their vault is fully insured and I don't have to worry about encryption and losing paper wallets and stuff like that.

IMO the log out time is way too messed up, for some random reason I always log out lol.  And now I can't log back it, whenever I enter my username and PIN, it just clears and refreshes the page :-/
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:24:57 AM

Most important thing is not visiting suspicious sites/downloading suspicious files.
What would u call a suspicious site?

williamj2543

Activity: 588

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:19:52 AM

Most important thing is not visiting suspicious sites/downloading suspicious files.
What would u call a suspicious site?
Just be careful. Anything seeming too good to be true probably is not legitimate, and don't click the green download buttons. Ever. 

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:10:08 AM

Definitely not, unless you have encrypted the file with good strong password. Smiley

I would not trust any cloud.  Use cold storage for it.  Any online use 2factor. 

Some offer SMS/google authenticator which add another level.  Also use decent passwords, and DO NOT use the same passwords.  If you use different passwords for different places chances are less of worst case scenario. 
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:17:18 AM

I would not trust any cloud.  Use cold storage for it.  Any online use 2factor. 

Some offer SMS/google authenticator which add another level.  Also use decent passwords, and DO NOT use the same passwords.  If you use different passwords for different places chances are less of worst case scenario. 

If you use a deterministic wallet you don't need to store the keys anywhere as long as you can reseed the wallet.  In the case of Armory, for example, you can make an M of N wallet where you would need M of N pieces to restore the wallet.  You can make it so you need 3 out of 8 pieces and scatter the 8 pieces around the world - most people can't break into 3 locations to get your coins.  You can even put one of the 8 pieces on the cloud - it would be meaningless for anybody unless they were hellbent on targeting just you.  So cloud/online can be safe as long as it's not able to recreate a wallet in its entirety.

I can't see a justifiable reason for spreading out your coins into multiple wallets unless you're so well off you don't want people to know you have 10K coins, and in that case you can have your Butler do it  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: