Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:16:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible for somebody to collect all bitcoins?  (Read 1953 times)
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:56:00 PM

All the bitcoins will be mined in 2140. Yeah, they're DEFINITELY going to be alive then.

So what exactly have you thought through? This seems like a poor argument.

Lets say this person decided to buy them after 2140.

I it seems like,  I was just quite curious when I thought of that.

You got the quote BB code the wrong way then, that wasn't my quote - it was Yakamoto's. I've corrected it as above Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:57:26 PM

what kind of dump shit is this? This forum contains more idiots everyday....

You're quite serious about your coin.
So this is a sold account huh...

How old are you? These aren't what mature people would say, and they'd not reply with a crappy response such as yours.

I agree with him fully. This forum keeps getting populated with idiots and it's getting annoying.
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:58:08 PM

All the bitcoins will be mined in 2140. Yeah, they're DEFINITELY going to be alive then.

You got the quote BB code the wrong way then, that wasn't my quote - it was Yakamoto's. I've corrected it as above Smiley
Thanks dude Cheesy
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:00:27 PM

Let's say we have 1 billion dollars and we try to buy all at once bitcoins, but we cant get them all because most of them not on exchanges, it takes 6 months to buy %99 i am sure some people will forget and never sell their BTCs. So practically impossible to see.

lol you are extremely lucky if you could buy 10% of all bitcoin on open exchange with 1 billion dollars. Then the next 10% would cost you at least 10 Billion.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
CrackedLogic (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:01:49 PM

what kind of dump shit is this? This forum contains more idiots everyday....

You're quite serious about your coin.
So this is a sold account huh...

How old are you? These aren't what mature people would say, and they'd not reply with a crappy response such as yours.

I agree with him fully. This forum keeps getting populated with idiots and it's getting annoying.

I was trying to play a pun with his username but okay.

I'm 15 by the way, that would explain it. Let's end the argument there.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:05:09 PM

Is it possible to collect all the apples from the entire world? ( Comparing BTC with apples doesn't make sense, but the answer is similar )

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
barangunel

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:05:45 PM

If you are asking about buying all the bitcoins:

What if someone bought up all the existing bitcoins?

Only a fraction of bitcoins issued to date are found on the exchange markets for sale. Bitcoin markets are competitive, meaning the price of a bitcoin will rise or fall depending on supply and demand. Additionally, new bitcoins will continue to be issued for decades to come. Therefore even the most determined buyer could not buy all the bitcoins in existence. This situation isn't to suggest, however, that the markets aren't vulnerable to price manipulation; it still doesn't take significant amounts of money to move the market price up or down, and thus Bitcoin remains a volatile asset thus far.

So yeah if bitcoin won't fall the network will continue finding more coins until 2140. So the one wants to buy all of them won't be alive until all bitcoins are found Tongue
CrackedLogic (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:07:01 PM

Is it possible to collect all the apples from the entire world? ( Comparing BTC with apples doesn't make sense, but the answer is similar )

You can always grow more apples, but i guess I understand.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4479

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:10:59 PM

if it only takes 10,000 coins to move the market price from $600 to $800, then imagine the price rise of buying 100k coins

now imagine the price just to get 1 million coins..

i ask yourself again, do you think you have the funds to buy the other 13mill coins now the price is multiple thousands of dollars per coin..

i dare ya, buy them all Cheesy

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:11:03 PM

Wipe out every apple tree and you have a chance, but no doubt some kid will be growing one out of a petri dish.

There's no feasible way to collect all XBT, not in this life time. Not unless you somehow managed to get every address to send to your own address - but even that would be a logistical nightmare lol.

acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:17:17 PM

The difficulty will be sky high in 2140.

But you probably didn't think about that. And I only told you half of the answer.
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:42:05 PM

Definitely possible but not very probable. They could be the fetish obsession of some weird and creepy collector one day. He'd polish his BTC all day long and show them to strangers without being asked to. Talk about tainted coins!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:51:26 PM

They couldn't possibly buy all coins because I'm not selling mine. As simple as that.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:59:44 PM

They couldn't possibly buy all coins because I'm not selling mine. As simple as that.

There are also many coins which are lost forever, encrypted in wallets with forgotten passwords or wallets.dat files lying inside some old broken hard disks.
DjPxH

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:15:38 PM

What if they just decide to use force? Imagine you're the last person who hasn't given up their coins. You now have to fear that every sound you hear and every shadow you see in the corner of your eyes is a creepy guy who's after every single satoshi! If he has some weird attraction to BTC, you'd have to face a very aggressive and potentially dangerous collector!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 08:36:01 PM

bitcoins = pokemon

Gotta catch 'em all!

What would happen if somebody collected all of them and they sold 1 bitcoin for like $50000,would you move onto another coin or would you try to get the coins circulating again?
By the time one person collected even 33% of all BTC, 1 Bitcoin would already be selling for well over $50,000 each. Personally, if I knew some entity was trying to get them all, I'd only sell mine for 100x curent market value, and I'd never sell more than half my BTC even at that price.

Essentially, this is why it is impossible to collect them all.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:47:16 PM

Soon I'll have a bunch of them. Probably never all, but a bunch.

You see, I keep creating sock pockets and from those accounts, releasing alt-coins that are pre-mined and/or ninja-mined.

Some I sell for bitcoins to suckers in an IPO and the rest to suckers after the pump.

My collection of bitcoins is growing quite rapidly, and isn't costing me any fiat.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:02:21 PM

Soon I'll have a bunch of them. Probably never all, but a bunch.

You see, I keep creating sock pockets and from those accounts, releasing alt-coins that are pre-mined and/or ninja-mined.

Some I sell for bitcoins to suckers in an IPO and the rest to suckers after the pump.

My collection of bitcoins is growing quite rapidly, and isn't costing me any fiat.
Holy crap!

Prepare to see a huge influx of new alts being created by Jr. Members and so, we got the next money-making method over here!

Sadly, though, I don't think I'm going to ever be able to match your speed of... "production", as I'm not very good with creating alts, no matter how hard I try.

A lot of my gathering of BTC is done via working in the service section (writing mainly) and through signature campaigns. Never bought any BTC, but I may in the future.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:15:10 PM

That was a joke, well, a half-joke.

I think it is going on - I think a lot (but not all) of altcoins are being produced by a ring for the purpose of hoarding bitcoins.

And that method doesn't result in buy orders, not from them.

Eventually when more people catch on, the game will be up and we will see them start selling bitcoins for cash as they move on to their next scam.
And bitcoin will drop in value.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:19:01 PM

That was a joke, well, a half-joke.

I think it is going on - I think a lot (but not all) of altcoins are being produced by a ring for the purpose of hoarding bitcoins.

And that method doesn't result in buy orders, not from them.

Eventually when more people catch on, the game will be up and we will see them start selling bitcoins for cash as they move on to their next scam.
And bitcoin will drop in value.
A perfect time to amass more!

Even if they start selling, there will be a pretty big backing, even if the price does drop. They'd have to be selling a lot of BTC in order for it to be serious, and even then there's a lot of support at the $400 range.

I'm not saying that your suggestion isn't true, it's a lot more accurate than some may think.

I see what you mean, and I do believe that it is a likely scenario. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: