Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:39:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinFest 2015  (Read 11750 times)
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 03:41:09 AM

The date of the next CoinFest has finally been announced! From February 20-22, cities around the world will celebrate all things crypto. We've put up a placeholder page at CoinFest.org with the rules and a growing list of participants until we finish upgrading our website.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 10:48:05 PM

Reserved
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 12:28:08 AM

Reserved
Reservations are unnecessary. Tongue Unless you want to join as an organizer and run a CoinFest in your locality... then some cooperation is involved!

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 03:31:01 PM

Montreal and the Bitcoin Embassy will be joining us for CoinFest 2015. That makes 5 cities, 3 countries and 3 languages participating so far. List updated  Smiley

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 05:48:46 AM

Frank Pouliot from the Bitcoin Embassy is now the French language coordinator, and the CoinFest has spread to Brazil, where organizer Helio Silva will be the Portuguese language coordinator. CoinFest.org will be updated as soon as Helio's Brazilian CoinFest website (www.coinfest.com.br) is published. Let us know if you want to help, too! Smiley

qtgwith

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 12:26:16 PM

very cool Grin
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 03:48:45 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 04:13:10 AM by The Bitcoin Co-op

The new CoinFest website has finally arrived! You can see what it's about, past events, events to come, and ways that you can get involved! The web design template was provided for free by Mojito Sites, and many more upgrades are pending. Stay tuned!

ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 03:55:00 AM

You should probably contact the New York Bitcoin Center. They do a lot of these events, and a good one in New York would be a nice win, IMHO.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 04:14:51 AM

You should probably contact the New York Bitcoin Center. They do a lot of these events, and a good one in New York would be a nice win, IMHO.
We would love to see CoinFest spread to New York. The Bitcoin Fair there seemed interested for a little bit, but abruptly dropped contact. Is the Center likely to respond to me via the standard channels? Anyone with an "in" there could be very helpful to us.

ruletheworld
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 04:25:27 AM

We would love to see CoinFest spread to New York. The Bitcoin Fair there seemed interested for a little bit, but abruptly dropped contact. Is the Center likely to respond to me via the standard channels? Anyone with an "in" there could be very helpful to us.
Sounds great, I'll PM you a couple of contacts that I know.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 07:46:21 PM

We've added Rome, Italy to the list, and a crude map to show CoinFest's global expansion. Stay tuned for further updates to this page: http://www.coinfest.org/coinfest-2015-2/

promojo

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:31:56 AM

Good stuff.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 06:28:22 AM

We've added a reporting page to CoinFest.org. By making all of our public keys known and revealing the source/destination of and reason for all transactions, CoinFest turns the pseodoanonymity of Bitcoin into a tool for transparency.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 05:23:30 PM

I would like to give my support to this event in the Netherlands.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 08:25:52 PM

That's great news! The history and culture of the Netherlands is pretty much ideal for the spirit of CoinFest. You guys have that Bitcoin Boulevard, right? That would be a perfect place to do it. Please let me know what support you can offer--we don't have any organizers in that area, yet.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 10:08:18 PM

For those still wondering what CoinFest is all about, the founder wrote an article for Bitcoin Magazine called the Spirit of CoinFest. Check it out.

Meanwhile, the first donations for CoinFest 2015 are trickling in. XBT Jackpot sent around .1 BTC, making them the first corporate donor. They also created an account with 50 mBTC in CoinFest's name; the founder was contracted by CoinFest to gamble briefly on its behalf, and the proceeds were withdrawn to the CoinFest account.

Several more locations around the world are considering joining the fun. Stay tuned.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 05:32:05 AM

The Transparency page appears to have been a popular feature. We also made the Coin Front, and will have another news article coming out soon. All of that is detailed on the News page, newly added.

Additionally, we have updated the map and made some tweaks to the website here and there. There are now 10 cities participating in CoinFest on 4 continents--stay tuned for some awesome news.

ruletheworld
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 08:27:48 PM

Do you have a press release/press kit?
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 01:05:02 AM

We don't really have a press kit; I just email news outlets from time to time, and have personal connections with certain journalists. All the CoinFest organizers in other cities also engage the press independently, in a decentralized fashion.

ruletheworld
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 02:42:58 AM

We don't really have a press kit; I just email news outlets from time to time, and have personal connections with certain journalists. All the CoinFest organizers in other cities also engage the press independently, in a decentralized fashion.
Please hit me up if you're doing anything in New York.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 03:11:35 AM

Please hit me up if you're doing anything in New York.
The Bitcoin Co-op won't be doing anything in New York for CoinFest, but many people have suggested to the NYC Bitcoin Center that they should participate by organizing an event there. I've yet to hear back from them about it.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 08:25:49 PM

CoinFest has got a bunch of a new partners, more website upgrades and news articles on their way. We've spread to 12 cities in 8 countries, celebrating cryptocurrency in over 7 languages across the Western Hemisphere. Stay tuned for more exiting news!

Dotrego

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2014, 10:48:46 PM

That's great news! The history and culture of the Netherlands is pretty much ideal for the spirit of CoinFest. You guys have that Bitcoin Boulevard, right? That would be a perfect place to do it. Please let me know what support you can offer--we don't have any organizers in that area, yet.
Arnhem would also qualify. You might want to get in touch with the guys of Bitkassa, they have experience organizing events there. I would recommend Patrick van der Meijde.

Would be willing to provide an extra set of hands at the event itself if it were to be held in the Netherlands. Too busy to help out in planning or preparations though.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 01:10:08 AM

Arnhem would also qualify. You might want to get in touch with the guys of Bitkassa, they have experience organizing events there. I would recommend Patrick van der Meijde.

Would be willing to provide an extra set of hands at the event itself if it were to be held in the Netherlands. Too busy to help out in planning or preparations though.
Thanks a bunch for your support! We actually reached out to Arnhem, already, and have emailed with Patrick. He said he likes the idea and will give it some thought, but that he is very busy. Maybe if he knew you would lend an extra pair of hands as a volunteer day-of, you could encourage him to join us! Smiley

Dotrego

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

Cool. Will let him know next time I see him Wink
Organizers of existing meetups like this or this might also be interesting to talk to.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 10:20:16 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2014, 01:33:06 AM by The Bitcoin Co-op

Lots of new cities on board. Helsinki has arrived thanks to the Helsinki Bitcoin Hobbyists, and The Dutch Bitcoin Boulevard in the Hague will be participating, as well.

Also, Hyderabad, India will be the first city in Asia to host a CoinFest, and the 17th city worldwide. Major thanks to Venugopal Badaravada from Bitcows!

See the updated list: http://www.coinfest.org/coinfest-2015-2/

UPDATE: we just spread to the United States, as well, in Denver, Colorado and Marietta, Georgia. That makes 19 cities!

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 01:41:43 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2014, 05:16:40 PM by The Bitcoin Co-op

Sorry we've been out of touch for so long. The Co-op's social media guy was summoned to Dubai to educate government officials on the blockchain, and spent the month spreading crypto around the world! Good news, though:

CoinFest is now in 21 cities around the world. 3 previous ones were lost (at least for now), but we gained so much more. Despite the wishes of Vladimir Putin, CoinFest has spread to Mother Russia, where a collapsing ruble has left them with bigger concerns.

Because Bitcoin is against the law in Russia, and they are actively arresting those who refuse to comply with the order to cease its use, we have made the following exception to the traditions of CoinFest: Russian cities that fail to find a cryptocurrency-accepting venue will still be listed by CoinFest.org, as average business owners cannot be expected to be as brave as the heroes behind CCFR and CoinFestRussia.

The blockchain is bigger than all of us. Keep fighting the good fight, guys. Cool

EDIT: a mistake was made. 2 cities are about to be added, making 23. Smiley

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

We've finally launched the CoinFest page for Vancouver! All CoinFest events will be listed here. Several more are on their way, as well as a map and the transparency statement--use this as your source of local CoinFest information in our city: www.bitcoincoop.org/coinfest

CoinFest organizers around the world are starting to launch their events, too. Check out this one in Columbia: https://www.facebook.com/events/322574727938382/

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 07:50:53 AM

As part of the path towards full decentralization, coinfest.org now keeps its funds in a multisignature address. This means that no one person can control the CoinFest wallet. For now, only the most trusted CoinFest nodes can be signatories, but the number of signatures will be increased from 5 to 15 once CoinFest 2015 is over, and the DAO will utilize an all-inclusive consensus-based model.

Please see the updated transparency page at http://www.coinfest.org/transparency/. The CoinFest wallet currently requires 4 of 5 signatures to issue transactions; the current signatories are:

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 09:17:27 AM

Despite another couple cities dropping out of the running, CoinFest's global expansion has only continued. With 4 cities in Russia and now Tallinn in Estonia slated to participate, CoinFest has spread to 25 different places all over the world!

Check out CoinFest Estonia at www.coinfestestonia.org, or see the updated map and listing at http://www.coinfest.org/coinfest-2015-2/

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 04:54:52 AM

A couple nodes dropped out, but we're still over 20 cities. Due to a delay in our ATM's shipment to Africa and problems with fundraising, CoinFest Africa has been delayed until March; that gives the Africans more time, however, and more nodes in Africa are likely to come online. One of our directors might be going to Nigeria, himself!

The plans for CoinFest in Vancouver are huge, but they're pretty much laid out, now. There are more than twice as many events as last time, over 3 days, once against culminating in a conference. We've posted to a lot of places, to get as many new faces at CoinFest as we can; his Meet Up provides a pretty good summary of events, however: http://www.meetup.com/bitcoinvan/events/220469989/

If you wanna celebrate CoinFest with us, but are trapped in a city that is lacking, don't fret! We're setting up lots of Google hangouts, like this one on Saturday, where you can tune into CoinFest Vancouver and meet our community.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 02:20:12 AM

I see Tauru(s)ex(c)hange renamed to Taurus Bitcoin Exchange.

Wise call, but how can you miss that  Grin Grin Grin
Haha, I didn't notice that. I'm gonna go make fun of Yuri now, thanks

taurusexchange

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 02:28:15 AM

We're aware of the issue and are working HARD on it. Not.  Grin

This was the most straightforward domain name available and we like it. 
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 06:21:18 AM

So took keep everyone posted: CoinFest was huge overall, with significant turnouts across Europe and exciting adoption efforts in Latin America. Canada was dethroned as the center of attention, which is mostly good, because CoinFest is decentralized. It just hurt our egos a bit.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of problems with mail: we sent it a bit late due to lack of funding, then all of it was held up by weather and/or customs. Without the Skyhook BTM, CoinFest Botswana was forced to delay, and CoinFest Ghana chose to do so, as well.

Now, other nodes want to join, so we're organizing CoinFest Africa! 3 events in Botswana and Ghana are confirmed, with others possible in Uganda, Sierra Leone and Tanzania. Mark your calendars for March 20-22.

They will be joined by a solidarity event in Vancouver on March 20. The CoinFest Vancouver wallet will be multisigged, and private keys given to a chosen group of trusted organizers for distributed control. It's time to start building the DAO!

We'd like to thank all of the local sponsors around the world who made this possible, as well as our current global sponsors, the Taurus Exchange and ASICSPACE. We'll report back next year with the final results of CoinFest 2015, and the plans for CoinFest 2016.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: