Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:00:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Dominica Bitcoin Drop be a Success?  (Read 2645 times)
cryptocoinsnews (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 10:48:33 AM

I am pessimistic about the drop. The ecosystem of BTC in Dominica is not built up yet. The citizens have nothing knowledge about BTC and don't know how to use it.

What will happen whit the BTCs they get? Will they just be unused?

/David Parker, Director of CCN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nodoubt

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 10:59:40 AM

It would be a big step for Bitcoin but government wont allow It.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:48:54 PM

I doubt that it's going to be a big success, but it will be an interesting experiment and we will be able to see what disadvantages still need to be considered for future drops. And we can learn what still needs to be optimized in order to make Bitcoin attractive to the common public!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 05:01:09 PM

Read the terms. The funding for the "Bitcoin drop" is from suckers people who donate money for it. The people behind the "Bitcoin drop" aren't putting up the money.
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 10:54:15 PM

My guess is 90% of the BTC "dropped" will never get spent, and will forever remain permanently locked in the blockchain.

I'm sorry, and I'm all for bitcoin, but this idea is ridiculous.  What's the average person going to get?  Maybe $5, so 0,011 BTC?  In general, these are fishermen and others who work for low wages, and for many people, their biggest investment is probably some sheep / goats, maybe a cow, etc.  You're going to spam the entire island via SMS letting them know they now have 0.011 BTC?  They're going to laugh at it as if it's just some huge joke, and make fun of the stupid mainlanders while sitting around enjoying dinner and drinks that night.

That's the most likely result.  Trust me, these people aren't abandoning cash for bitcoin any time soon.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 11:52:26 PM

Read the terms. The funding for the "Bitcoin drop" is from suckers people who donate money for it. The people behind the "Bitcoin drop" aren't putting up the money.
And they're sure to pocket a percentage of the donations.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cryptocoinsnews (OP)

Activity: 299

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 06:16:19 AM

My guess is 90% of the BTC "dropped" will never get spent, and will forever remain permanently locked in the blockchain.

I'm sorry, and I'm all for bitcoin, but this idea is ridiculous.  What's the average person going to get?  Maybe $5, so 0,011 BTC?  In general, these are fishermen and others who work for low wages, and for many people, their biggest investment is probably some sheep / goats, maybe a cow, etc.  You're going to spam the entire island via SMS letting them know they now have 0.011 BTC?  They're going to laugh at it as if it's just some huge joke, and make fun of the stupid mainlanders while sitting around enjoying dinner and drinks that night.

That's the most likely result.  Trust me, these people aren't abandoning cash for bitcoin any time soon.

Interesting aspect..

/David Parker, Director of CCN
Minerjoe

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:33:27 AM

You are missing the point. This even is not about these islanders starting to use Bitcoin, it s all about the event and positive marketing effect of that event. People in the rest of the world hear about, people read about it, people get wallets, buy Bitcoin, use Bitcoin. To put it differently, it adds up to general BTC acceptance and we need a lot more of that.

Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:32:08 AM

You are missing the point. This even is not about these islanders starting to use Bitcoin, it s all about the event and positive marketing effect of that event. People in the rest of the world hear about, people read about it, people get wallets, buy Bitcoin, use Bitcoin. To put it differently, it adds up to general BTC acceptance and we need a lot more of that.

Ohhh, so this isn't about the 70,000 Dominicans?  We're just exploiting them for a marketing gimmick?

Phew, glad we got that cleared up.  I thought there might be some ill intentions here or something...
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:49:17 AM

It's not about how much is given. I always hear that people in developing nations are ignorant and stupid. Obviously there needs to be training in how they can benefit from the technology. There needs to be a long term plan to help developing nations use cryptocurrencies. I would like to see a think tank develop such a plan.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:41:16 PM

The drop seems to me like a waste of money. That money would be better spent in a grassroots effort to educate the people about Bitcoin first by actually having some places where it could be used. Show people what it is first and make them want to know more. Starting with an air drop like this doesn't really feel like it's going to have much impact.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 09:31:04 PM

The drop seems to me like a waste of money. That money would be better spent in a grassroots effort to educate the people about Bitcoin first by actually having some places where it could be used. Show people what it is first and make them want to know more. Starting with an air drop like this doesn't really feel like it's going to have much impact.

I do see your point, but note that the drop will come together with some educational/explanatory campaign (I hope). And it's very hard to get people interested in bitcoin if they completely don't know what it is, don't have any of it, don't know how to get it, they simply may not be interested in educating themselves. It's best to give them some small (but not to small) amount and they're more likely to seek education/information even on their own.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:37:09 PM

I agree. As said above air drops like this are generally not very successful and the people who receive the coins generally just sell them if they do anything with them at all.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 09:46:15 PM

I agree. As said above air drops like this are generally not very successful and the people who receive the coins generally just sell them if they do anything with them at all.

Which air drops are you referring to?
I'm only aware of Aurora (other 'nation coins' were mostly scams). But this one would much different than the AUR one, for many reasons, main one being bitcoin is already established with big infrastructure, and success of bitcoin doesn't at all depend on success of the drop.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
BTCulture

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:56:50 PM

People is free to use btc anywhere they like, if they have a pc and internet.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:03:16 PM

Fiat currencies will go under, and it will not be pretty. Will people, in the internet age, fall for the fiat trap again? Possibly not. People are much more knowledgeable today and it could be that cryptocurrencies will partially replace failed fiat currencies...

Truth is the new hatespeech.
EndlessStory

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:14:52 PM

Yes in my opinion.It's like showing a right track to people lost track and set them free from ongoing dilemma of conservative financial bound.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: