Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:22:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Political compass! (who believes what?)  (Read 13504 times)
jaybny

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 08:58:58 AM

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

https://twitter.com/jaybny/status/1022596877332762624

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 02:01:43 AM

BCEmporium,  you have some disturbingly illogical views on this subject.  I respect your right to your opinion (so don't take personal offense), but I disagree with it. Here's why:

You were saying that anyone who falls into the corners of the chart is an extremist and therefore dangerous.  Yet, you, refusing to evaluate individuals on an individual basis, but instead lumping diverse peoples into a single group and labeling them "extremist" and "dangerous", are being extremist yourself.  To say that Fascist Right-wingers, and Authoritarian Leftists are the same as traditional Anarchists and "anarcho"-Capitalists is an extreme position to take.  The chart distinguishes between authoritarians and freedoms lovers, as well as rightist and leftist economic views.  To say that Hitler (upper Right) and Rothbard (lower Right) are the same is utter nonsense.

So "absolute truth" does exists? Mind to give an example? Other than fallacies there is...

As it looks I'm talking to an extremist, and extremists are impossible to talk to (doesn't matter if from right or left wing, authoritarian or libertarian), taken everything they "believe in" is "the truth" and everything someone else's does or believe is "wrong"...

It seems like you are actually the extremist as a lot of people have tried to explain concepts to you but you blindly proceed with your arbitrary classifications.  Also, to say that there are no absolute truths in the world is illogical.  A meta-analysis of your position will destroy it. 

Consider, for you to state that "There are no absolute truths in the world" is in itself, a statement of the absolute.  If there are no absolutes in the world you cannot actually be sure that your statement is correct.  Therefore, there may actually be absolutes.  The best that you could do would be to admit that there is one absolute, and that is: that there are no absolutes other than this statement.  However, if you admit that there is at least one absolute, why could there not be others?  To say that there is a single absolute in the world is arbitrary and arrogant.  You cannot possess enough knowledge to say for certain something of that magnitude.

Your thoughts?  Smiley

pjwaffle (OP)

Activity: 539
Merit: 100

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 03:59:05 AM

inb4 my thread gets more awesome! :3

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███      BiB Exchange      ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
S e t   O f f   t h e   W e b 3   G e n e r a t i o n   N o w
sortedmush

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 10:51:21 AM

It seems like you are actually the extremist as a lot of people have tried to explain concepts to you but you blindly proceed with your arbitrary classifications.  Also, to say that there are no absolute truths in the world is illogical.  A meta-analysis of your position will destroy it. 

Consider, for you to state that "There are no absolute truths in the world" is in itself, a statement of the absolute.  If there are no absolutes in the world you cannot actually be sure that your statement is correct.  Therefore, there may actually be absolutes.  The best that you could do would be to admit that there is one absolute, and that is: that there are no absolutes other than this statement.  However, if you admit that there is at least one absolute, why could there not be others?  To say that there is a single absolute in the world is arbitrary and arrogant.  You cannot possess enough knowledge to say for certain something of that magnitude.

Your thoughts?  Smiley
+1

My internet has been down for a couple of days (funny story see below), and I've been thinking of a nice neat refutation of BCEmporium's analysis. I get back on line and find this ^ which is almost word for word what I had in mind. Nice.

So what happened to my internet connection? .. My housemate came in absolutely shit faced with a couple of his friends at 4am, and woke me out of a lucid dream, playing ridiculous music on MY computer. Incensed, I did what any other self respecting linux noob would do. I shut the machine down remotely using bash from my laptop, then proceeded to giggle myself to sleep.

I awoke the next day to find my monitor smashed and the router ripped out of the wall and thrown in the garden, in the rain.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 01:17:36 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 01:31:41 PM by BCEmporium

To say that Hitler (upper Right) and Rothbard (lower Right) are the same is utter nonsense.

Why? Because one caused a World War and the other not, at least yet? Never heard on Rothbard's contest on Hitler's policies - actually almost nobody does contest Hitler's policies as it is never discussed other than come out with the social and emotional effects of Nazism. (This does NOT mean people agree to Hitler's policies, just that issue is barely, rarely or almost never discussed).

Also you guys take everything seriously, and by taking it way too seriously even for a little piece of fun test, you second my thoughts of the danger in the extremes and ultimate danger in corners.

As for that sentence, turns funny, if use it a sole "Absolute argument" would be arbitrary, the fact is it's oppose isn't less arbitrary than it nor less arrogant - And put to practice the argument that "there's absolute truth" is a statement of Authority, taken that if there's than we must all abide by such "truth". I would ask outside math and theories where we can find something, some social or economic value to be in a position we can call "Absolute".

BTW, even on math and written theories you can find the burden of arbitrary, why do we say 2+2=4 and not o+o=d or something else instead? And those characters we use? Do they've any absolute value? Are they more worthy than chinese? Or arabic? And our languages?...
A value to be absolute would need to be immune to time, political quadrant, ideologies, so that from pre-historic times to the future ahead and from libertarians to authoritarians, left to right, it would remain unchanged... up to so far I found no such a thing in the planet, at least in this one.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
s0beit

Activity: 556

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:42:38 PM

pjwaffle (OP)

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:46:29 PM

inb4 totally awesome flame warz continuingz Tongue

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███      BiB Exchange      ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 06:00:45 PM

inb4 totally awesome flame warz continuingz Tongue

Flame?! Where?!
Flame wars are about senseless insults, I wouldn't ever engage such a thing, we're discussing over some arguments here. Different points of view, but arguments.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
pjwaffle (OP)

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:08:05 PM

inb4 being awesomely flamed about accusing awesome flamers of being awesomely flaming!

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:10:43 PM

inb4 being awesomely flamed about accusing awesome flamers of being awesomely flaming!

So your point is that we must all remain silent, because otherwise we will find some points we don't agree with each other and that for you is... flaming?!

|

|
pjwaffle (OP)

BIB Exchange

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:13:42 PM

So your point is that we must all remain silent, because otherwise we will find some points we don't agree with each other and that for you is... flaming?!

I just mean that I'm enjoying the educated debate/argument. (and making off topic comments in an attempt to get people to be a little less serious and make some jokes)

The Script

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:42:55 PM

I wasn't attempting to be incendiary, so if I came across as insulting to BCEmporium, I apologize.  Sometimes I take things too seriously?  Tongue 
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 09:48:21 PM

I wasn't attempting to be incendiary, so if I came across as insulting to BCEmporium, I apologize.  Sometimes I take things too seriously?  Tongue 

No insult taken.
I like mind challenges.  Cool

|

|
The Script

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 12:48:53 AM

Your thoughts?  Smiley
+1

My internet has been down for a couple of days (funny story see below), and I've been thinking of a nice neat refutation of BCEmporium's analysis. I get back on line and find this ^ which is almost word for word what I had in mind. Nice.

Apparently I just barely beat you to it.  I've been mulling it over for a few days as well but just have been busy trying to finish up things for my classes (finals week). 

So what happened to my internet connection? .. My housemate came in absolutely shit faced with a couple of his friends at 4am, and woke me out of a lucid dream, playing ridiculous music on MY computer. Incensed, I did what any other self respecting linux noob would do. I shut the machine down remotely using bash from my laptop, then proceeded to giggle myself to sleep.

I awoke the next day to find my monitor smashed and the router ripped out of the wall and thrown in the garden, in the rain.

Mother of Mary.  I would have had an epileptic fit and then would have gone on a chain-saw massacre of the guilty parties.  I hope those assholes are paying for the damages.
sortedmush

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 09, 2011, 07:10:58 AM

Mother of Mary.  I would have had an epileptic fit and then would have gone on a chain-saw massacre of the guilty parties.  I hope those assholes are paying for the damages.

They are indeed.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 02:12:56 AM

Muah ah ah ah.

Wow, we would not get along!

I am a tree hugging hippy apparantly. A left leaning libertarian. On par with Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama apparently Smiley
The Script

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 09:03:50 AM

Muah ah ah ah.

Wow, we would not get along!

I am a tree hugging hippy apparantly. A left leaning libertarian. On par with Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama apparently Smiley

The hell you are.  You are a right-wing, Fascist, Authoritarian like me.  Companies have the freedom to operate--as long as they do exactly what we say, and businessmen can own companies as long as they kick us back a lot of cash.  We shall create the Fourth Reich and spread our banner of Racial Superiority across the globe.  Not sure how bitcoin fits in though.   Huh

Join me, Brother.
m4rkiz

Activity: 170

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 07:22:41 PM

I wonder what makes you guys go to the bottom-right, and not to bottom-center.

Because the market shouldn't be regulated at all?

while i believe that markets in general should not be 'regulated' by the state i strongly support one strike rule - if company decide to knowingly sell something dangerous\risky or simply wrong described stuff it should be wiped out from the market by the state

i should be able to buy anything from everyone and anyone should be able to sell me anything, but as soon as some one forgot to mentioned that "new batch of lcds have tn screen instead of ips (that they shipped to reviewers and stores for display)" or "that used to be spring water but now we use tap water without changing label" they should be punished hard

they have way too much of money for lawyers and marketing... when you get scammed by someone you may (sure, depends on the situation) put him behind the bars, while worst you can do against some companies that knowingly sell junk advertising it as "cure for the cancer that converts your body fat into rolex watches" is class action lawsuit that will mean that they may need to return some money to the people they just scammed...

BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 08:30:36 PM

while i believe that markets in general should not be 'regulated' by the state i strongly support one strike rule - if company decide to knowingly sell something dangerous\risky or simply wrong described stuff it should be wiped out from the market by the state

i should be able to buy anything from everyone and anyone should be able to sell me anything, but as soon as some one forgot to mentioned that "new batch of lcds have tn screen instead of ips (that they shipped to reviewers and stores for display)" or "that used to be spring water but now we use tap water without changing label" they should be punished hard

Why not just stop buying the products of disreputable businesses? Isn't that much easier than trying to keep a limit on the power of a small state that is allowed to "wipe out" companies. What do you think it will do when people decide it is no longer necessary and try to "wipe out" the state itself?
GreenSky

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:45:44 PM

Here's mine, I'd say it's quite accurate.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.38&soc=-6.97
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: