Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:51:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 186 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine  (Read 578431 times)
IntroVert

Activity: 265
Merit: 119

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:34:30 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 01:57:37 PM by IntroVert

...And it says: "Downloading headers... 4 days behind" with "socket recv error 10054" repeating in the debug.log. Tried to add a few nodes, but nothing changes. I'm behind standard home router. Please advise.

Found out what the problem was. The Cryptonite-QT is half-baked, it messed up some environment variables which Bitcoin-QT uses, resulting in breaking both itself and Bitcoin-QT.

Don't install Cryptonite-QT if you use default Bitcoin wallet! I've managed not to be forced to download the whole Bitcoin blockchain, but it was close.

Can you please share what settings you reverted in order to make bitcoin-qt work again without rebuilding its blockchain database? I have 9.2.1 and it is hosed since I put and ran the cryptonite-qt wallet on my machine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:46:50 PM

...And it says: "Downloading headers... 4 days behind" with "socket recv error 10054" repeating in the debug.log. Tried to add a few nodes, but nothing changes. I'm behind standard home router. Please advise.

Found out what the problem was. The Cryptonite-QT is half-baked, it messed up some environment variables which Bitcoin-QT uses, resulting in breaking both itself and Bitcoin-QT.

Don't install Cryptonite-QT if you use default Bitcoin wallet! I've managed not to be forced to download the whole Bitcoin blockchain, but it was close.

Can you please share what settings you reverted in order to make bitcoin-qt work again without rebuilding its database? I have 9.2.1 and it is hosed since I put and ran the cryptonite-qt wallet on my machine.
+1
I need this info, my wallet is corrupt now :/

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:57:31 PM

People waiting == people waiting to mine coins that could be yours. Just a friendly reminder.

True. But those people are also taking on risk that I don't have.

With GPU miner without pool will be hard to deal with 100+ GPUs farms ( i have seen many in VTC while mining )

Gpu miners can be already in play -in 3 day mining with i7 3770k and i have 0 balance so i can tell you that CPU mining doesn't exist ( at least for me ).
Anyway like every where those who got GPU miner 1st behind scene will get big $$; x11... crypto night everywhere is same.

At the end coin can lose some fairness and cause it "clones" claim better distribution - lets just look at Bytecoin and Monero
if such situation will stay long next clone will get BIGGER attention and community at the end market share.

You don't 'get' a miner, you make it. Fair to the bone. Getting something for nothing is the unfairness.
I think, you made privat optimazed miner and don`t want to wolf reliz his. I am remember you close source GPU MMC miner and how you take 90% of all MMC net hashrate on your pool.

Wolf, relize you miner please it will be good for all Cryptonite communite.
What if one does not share the communite valuz?
I want to say in your "beautifull words" you hiding only you personal interests. My example shows your essence.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know "personal interests" (also known as making a living and having a computer to code on and a home in which to plug it in) was such a bad thing.

Let's talk about your personal interests - you want the product of our skilled work, but you don't want to pay for it. You want it for free - so you can make money, without a care for the people who made that possible.

In short, you can shove your community values right up your ass.
Grin +1

edit: That's nice to do things for the community, as long as the community doesn't forget it has to work both way...

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:03:18 PM

A new exotic proof of work doesn't mean security, it means someone much smarter than you will mine a hundred times the amount of coins you will on the same hardware.

This is the apparent future of crypto coins, get used to it. Smiley
IntroVert

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:09:32 PM

Can you please share what settings you reverted in order to make bitcoin-qt work again without rebuilding its database? I have 9.2.1 and it is hosed since I put and ran the cryptonite-qt wallet on my machine.
+1

Try starting the client via the following "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=C:\Users\%your_username%\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin either from the command line or edit the Target field on your shortcut property screen. My bitcoin-qt client is now synced. This is applicable to Win7 64bit, change the path to bitcoin-qt.exe if it is different for your system.

EDIT: you can also try "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=%APPDATA%\Bitcoin
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:09:48 PM

+1

All right, no need to panic, your BTC wallet should be fine, it gave me a scare since I haven't backed it up for some time and had some transactions in the meantime. Here's what you should do:

- Check that both applications are shut down, best to logoff/logon or restart your computer
- Backup both wallets just in case, both files have the same name (wallet.dat) so take care not to mix them up. Wallets are in the same directory where your exe files are
- Delete the whole Cryptonite-QT directory
- Go to "Start" and in the textbox right above it ("Search programs and files") type %APPDATA% press Enter it will open your hidden directory with both Bitcoin and Cryptonite blockchains. Delete the whole Cryptonite directory.
- Start the Bitcoin-QT normally. Since the directory which common environment variable points out is now deleted, it will prompt you to point to proper directory. Choose the checkbox above the currently selected (default), and it will finally find everything it needs and work normally.

I must say this is a major Cryptonite developers fuck-up, to force us to jump through hoops just to save our Bitcoin installation. TBH, it has shaken my confidence that they know what they are doing quite a bit.

Edit: on double check, wallet's are also in hidden directory, you should easily find them.
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:13:56 PM

Or you can just do this (for the time being I suppose).
Pasting from another user's experience some pages back:
edit: succefully separated both coins by running bitcoin-qt with -datadir= parameter.

So it looks like the XCN wallet is actually setting it's data directory using the same parameter as Bitcoin, thus messing up the location for the latter. There's no damage to data reported from anyone yet, so I suppose this can be easily fixed in the XCN wallet soon, and by resetting the Bitcoin data directory to it's original location.

~ Myagui

IntroVert

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:19:04 PM

+1

All right, no need to panic, your BTC wallet should be fine, it gave me a scare since I haven't backed it up for some time and had some transactions in the meantime. Here's what you should do:

- Check that both applications are shut down, best to logoff/logon or restart your computer
- Backup both wallets just in case, both files have the same name (wallet.dat) so take care not to mix them up. Wallets are in the same directory where your exe files are
- Delete the whole Cryptonite-QT directory
- Go to "Start" and in the textbox right above it ("Search programs and files") type %APPDATA% press Enter it will open your hidden directory with both Bitcoin and Cryptonite blockchains. Delete the whole Cryptonite directory.
- Start the Bitcoin-QT normally. Since the directory which common environment variable points out is now deleted, it will prompt you to point to proper directory. Choose the checkbox above the currently selected (default), and it will finally find everything it needs and work normally.

I must say this is a major Cryptonite developers fuck-up, to force us to jump through hoops just to save our Bitcoin installation. TBH, it has shaken my confidence that they know what they are doing quite a bit.

Edit: on double check, wallet's are also in hidden directory, you should easily find them.

Thank you for your help, I managed to fix this without deleting as described in my previous message. I agree that this is/was a major screwup.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 02:27:07 PM

Looks like an issue with the Windows Qt, I haven't seen it happen on Linux. I would say that 80% of development time was spent on cryptonited before we even moved onto making Qt work, so yes it may be a little buggy compared to cryptonited, especially on Windows, because there wasn't a whole lot of testing done on Windows. The issue should be solved in the next release.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Hix
Legendary

Activity: 1971
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:31:59 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 02:53:42 PM by Hix

People waiting == people waiting to mine coins that could be yours. Just a friendly reminder.

With GPU miner without pool will be hard to deal with 100+ GPUs farms ( i have seen many in VTC while mining )

Gpu miners can be already in play -in 3 day mining with i7 3770k and i have 0 balance so i can tell you that CPU mining doesn't exist ( at least for me ).
Anyway like every where those who got GPU miner 1st behind scene will get big $$; x11... crypto night everywhere is same.

At the end coin can lose some fairness and cause it "clones" claim better distribution - lets just look at Bytecoin and Monero
if such situation will stay long next clone will get BIGGER attention and community at the end market share.

You don't 'get' a miner, you make it. Fair to the bone. Getting something for nothing is the unfairness.
I think, you made privat optimazed miner and don`t want to wolf reliz his. I am remember you close source GPU MMC miner and how you take 90% of all MMC net hashrate on your pool.

I want to say in your "beautifull words" you hiding only you personal interests. My example shows your essence.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know "personal interests" (also known as making a living and having a computer to code on and a home in which to plug it in) was such a bad thing.

Let's talk about your personal interests - you want the product of our skilled work, but you don't want to pay for it. You want it for free - so you can make money, without a care for the people who made that possible.

Xe-xe. I don`t want you miner at this moment, i am not mine this coin now, only trade. It your fail) Keep your miner in your self but stop posting shit post with result of it.
And Next.... After someone made public optimize miner ALL will use it And no one will get benefit, only network will be better protected.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:41:02 PM

lol, I like you.

I'm getting the feeling that these new exotic algo's are just for making the few display driver fiddling nerds rich. Maybe they will get rich, or maybe this time people have wised up and will just wait for a fork with established algo and miners/pools and will leave the insider miners exchanging coins between themselves.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:58:15 PM

Looks like an issue with the Windows Qt, I haven't seen it happen on Linux. I would say that 80% of development time was spent on cryptonited before we even moved onto making Qt work, so yes it may be a little buggy compared to cryptonited, especially on Windows, because there wasn't a whole lot of testing done on Windows. The issue should be solved in the next release.

No, it's common problem for both Windows and Linux, just checked it on Ubuntu 14.04 and exact same thing is happening. Until the ~/.cryptonite directory is deleted the Bitcoin-QT is messed up. Fix it for Linux and you'll fix it for Windows also.
illodin

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:16:34 PM

lol, I like you.

I'm getting the feeling that these new exotic algo's are just for making the few display driver fiddling nerds rich. Maybe they will get rich, or maybe this time people have wised up and will just wait for a fork with established algo and miners/pools and will leave the insider miners exchanging coins between themselves.

Nope, because even right before ASICs came out for Scrypt, I was mining faster on AMD GPUs than everyone else.

How much faster? Even if it was 2x faster it's negligible compare to a new algo where everyone else is on CPU's. But I suppose you're right that nothing will change, fools will be giving their BTC to you.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 03:18:04 PM

No, it's common problem for both Windows and Linux, just checked it on Ubuntu 14.04 and exact same thing is happening. Until the ~/.cryptonite directory is deleted the Bitcoin-QT is messed up. Fix it for Linux and you'll fix it for Windows also.
Yeah it was mentioned in this thread earlier actually, some how bitcoin-qt is trying to use the cryptonite data folder. Must be some sort of memory issue, catia will take a look at it when he's available. For now I guess the easiest fix is to just start Bitcoin with the datadir flag pointing to the right directory.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
reorder

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:29:40 PM

Fools? They make profit.

The only people who are fools are miners that don't donate to open source dev. I would gladly do that instead.
Sooner a Nigerian Prince you got an email from will really send you his $18.4M legacy.
discodancer

Activity: 378

Time is Money - Benjamin Franklin

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:37:09 PM

+1
I don't really have any coding skills and have to depend on if ever gpu miners are released, I have to agree with Wolf here. People assume free miners are a form of charity without realising the amount of work which needs to be put in.
illodin

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:40:11 PM

+1
I don't really have any coding skills and have to depend on if ever gpu miners are released, I have to agree with Wolf here. People assume free miners are a form of charity without realising the amount of work which needs to be put in.

Yes, it's a nice profit cycle, new coin with new algo, create miner, mine huge stash, sell miner, dump stash. Rince and repeat.
reorder

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:48:11 PM

+1

Yes, it's a nice profit cycle, new coin with new algo, create miner, mine huge stash, sell miner, dump stash. Rince and repeat.

How about no one create any coins? No Cryptonite, no Litecoin, no Bitcoin. Go back to using fiat, because it's not like anyone's making profit there...

Oh, wait, except the bankers making millions while doing no useful work. That's A-okay in your book, right? But people who actually do skilled work to create a product, they don't deserve jack shit.
You are not going to win over jealousy and greed with reason, give it up.
illodin

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:56:59 PM

Obviously this guy just wants something for nothing, and convincing him of anything that involves someone making money other than him is hopeless, but I don't think everyone on the forums is that way.

I just wanted this coin had a chance to succeed instead of becoming the next BCN2 or BBR2.
illodin

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:59:13 PM

Oh, wait, except the bankers making millions while doing no useful work. That's A-okay in your book, right? But people who actually do skilled work to create a product, they don't deserve jack shit.

Where did I say that? Shove your straw man up your ass.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 186 »
  Print  

Jump to: