Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:10:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed up confirmation time  (Read 2761 times)
mtomcdev (OP)

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:01:53 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2014, 03:20:43 PM by mtomcdev

I read a few discussions in this forum when experienced devs and community members said that there are ways and even services built on the Bitcoin network to speed up the confirmation time. Someone said that even instant confirmation is possible using some kind of trusted node or some other mechanism. I read those comments but never came cross with the specifics, so I am not sure what are the options and methods to speed up the confirmation time (if any).
Would you let me know please how the Bitcoin confirmation time could be speed up (even with a third party service) and if that is possible at all?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:58:30 PM

You appear to have misunderstood something.

Confirmation time in bitcoin is random with an average of a bit less than 10 minutes.

By paying a transaction fee you can increase the probability that your transaction will be included in the next block, but there is nothing you can do to make that block show up any faster.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:17:54 AM

What you may be talking about is the possibility of accepting transactions as "pretty much valid" before the first confirmation since as Danny said the confirmation time cannot be changed.  This is called accepting a transaction with zero confirmations.

There are ideas floating around for this.  One example is that a third party would insure the transaction after a small amount of time but before the first confirmation.  If the transaction turned out to be bad and you did not get your BTC then the third party insurance would pay you the BTC you lost due to the fact the transaction never confirmed.  There would be a fee for this insurance and the better insurance companies would have methods to reduce their claims by studying the transaction to make sure it has a very good chance of getting confirmed.

Is that along the lines of what you are talking about?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:21:48 AM

What you may be talking about is the possibility of accepting transactions as "pretty much valid" before the first confirmation since as Danny said the confirmation time cannot be changed.  This is called accepting a transaction with zero confirmations.

There are ideas floating around for this.  One example is that a third party would insure the transaction after a small amount of time but before the first confirmation.  If the transaction turned out to be bad and you did not get your BTC then the third party insurance would pay you the BTC you lost due to the fact the transaction never confirmed.  There would be a fee for this insurance and the better insurance companies would have methods to reduce their claims by studying the transaction to make sure it has a very good chance of getting confirmed.

That is pretty neat idea to be honest. Would love to see something like that being made and I would be very interested in their way of handling "bad" transactions.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:25:38 AM

A bad transaction is a claim on the insurance.  Nothing they can do but to pay the claim, possibly learn from the experience, and move on.  There is nothing they can do if a transaction that they thought was good turned out to be bad - probably because it was a double spend.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:29:20 AM

A bad transaction is a claim on the insurance.  Nothing they can do but to pay the claim, possibly learn from the experience, and move on.  There is nothing they can do if a transaction that they thought was good turned out to be bad - probably because it was a double spend.
Hmhm, well it's a very interesting idea and I would love to see it happen. However you would need to trust that party to be fair and honest, which could be a problem.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:29:36 AM

Point taken.

Another idea that has been talked about is that if your BTC are coming from a well known trusted source like Mt. Gox inputs.io well some sort of trusted large node then you are safe in accepting them with zero confirmation.  This hightly trusted source of BTC would publish the fact that BTC coming from a certain address or set of addresses will all be good so you can trust the transaction without waiting for a confirmation.  Perhaps they back their claims with some sort of insurance/guarantee.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:30:46 AM

Another idea that has been talked about is that if your BTC are coming from a well known trusted source like Mt. Gox inputs.io well some sort of trusted large node then you are safe in accepting them with zero confirmation.  This hightly trusted source of BTC would publish the fact that BTC coming from a certain address or set of addresses will all be good so you can trust the transaction without waiting for a confirmation.  Perhaps they back their claims with some sort of insurance/garantee.
Well, if people decided to trust that one node, wouldn't those people be vulnerable to shady practices by the node owner?

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:36:19 AM

True again.  So, best to wait for one or more confirmations unless you are willing to lose a certain amount of BTC to fraud.

This actually may make sense in for example a coffee shop scenario.  Most people would pay for their coffee and the transaction would eventually confirm.  If only a very small percentage of people rip you off then your losses may still be less than losses and fees on conventional credit cards - so still a win overall even accepting zero confirmation BTC transactions.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 12:42:41 AM

True again.  So, best to wait for one or more confirmations unless you are willing to lose a certain amount of BTC to fraud.
I bet that Satoshi broke his brain over this issue and I doubt that we can find a better (better being faster, safer and fair) solution any time soon.

This actually may make sense in for example a coffee shop scenario.  Most people would pay for their coffee and the transaction would eventually confirm.  If only a very small percentage of people rip you off then your losses may still be less than losses and fees on conventional credit cards - so still a win overall even accepting zero confirmation BTC transactions.
This is the main reason why I don't see a problem in doing small transactions with Bitcoin. Even though I don't get why one would use Bitcoin in such a fashion, but that is my personal opinion.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:16:45 AM

If the funds are sent from multi-sig inputs, one of which is a third party, then you can be *reasonably* sure that the level of collusion required to try and doublespend would probably not be worth it for low value transactions.

For example, there is a wallet provider called Greenaddress.it who deal in multi-sig. When I send you a payment from my wallet there both they and I must sign the tx. If I can see that the payment has originated from a (or specifically a Greedaddress.it) multi-sig address (and has a fee attached) I can be very sure that the chance of doublespend is low, i.e. I can accept zero confirmation payments with more security, no confirmation time speedup required.

Of course this is a degree of centralisation, and the merchant still requires myself and Greenaddress not to collude against them, but it is risk reduction.

This can be done without multisig too, I believe that Mycelium (android) wallet has a feature which checks recieved payments for a) a fee and b) propagation across the bitcoin network. if both of these are detected, the payment is labelled as 99% safe, even with 0 confirmations.
[Note, I have never used Mycelium wallet so my description might be a bit off]

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
mtomcdev (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:30:46 PM

What you may be talking about is the possibility of accepting transactions as "pretty much valid" before the first confirmation since as Danny said the confirmation time cannot be changed.  This is called accepting a transaction with zero confirmations.

There are ideas floating around for this.  One example is that a third party would insure the transaction after a small amount of time but before the first confirmation.  If the transaction turned out to be bad and you did not get your BTC then the third party insurance would pay you the BTC you lost due to the fact the transaction never confirmed.  There would be a fee for this insurance and the better insurance companies would have methods to reduce their claims by studying the transaction to make sure it has a very good chance of getting confirmed.

Yes, absolutely I was talking about that, and as Danny has pointed out I misunderstood what confirmation means in this context. More precisely, I understood that the confirmation is possible only in after 10 minutes as the transaction must be included in a new block, so I should talk about speeding up transaction acceptance instead of speeding up confirmation.

Thanks for the replies, all of you provided me with really useful info. Probably I should not make any comments when experienced hero members having brain storming about possible solutions, but I think both the insurance and centralized multi signature based solution could work. I think we all subscribed to the core concept of decentralization, but there are use cases when a centralized multi signature centralized wallet is perfectly acceptable. I think majority of bitcoin transactions aren't darknet related, most of the users wouldn't mind to compromise on decentralization and having a centralized multi signature wallet in order to be able perform quick transactions.

mtomcdev (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:38:59 PM

I believe that Mycelium (android) wallet has a feature which checks recieved payments for a) a fee and b) propagation across the bitcoin network. if both of these are detected, the payment is labelled as 99% safe, even with 0 confirmations.

I understand checking the fee and propagation is sufficient to look up the transaction, but such check doesn't prevent double spending or does it? I could be wrong, but I think to prevent double spending would need more validation.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:04:56 PM

I believe that Mycelium (android) wallet has a feature which checks recieved payments for a) a fee and b) propagation across the bitcoin network. if both of these are detected, the payment is labelled as 99% safe, even with 0 confirmations.
I understand checking the fee and propagation is sufficient to look up the transaction, but such check doesn't prevent double spending or does it? I could be wrong, but I think to prevent double spending would need more validation.

A well propagated transaction with a proper fee is very difficult to cancel.  It isn't impossible, but it is beyond the risk threshold of most businesses.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 07:25:12 PM

It's infrequent that engineering finds a strictly superior solution, — even Bitcoin itself sacrifices many things compared to centeralized payment systems. Usually engineering is about navigating the frontier of best possible tradeoffs.  Within the Bitcoin ecosystem we can hit multiple points on that surface, as the OP notes... but asking to explain them all here is a bit too much.

For a taste of whats possible,  look up micropayment channels,  also look up green address instant transaction confirmation, look up sidechains / two-way-peg (as a more far out and general tool)...  
mtomcdev (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:16:06 PM

Great, thanks for both replies, they are really useful. I think having fast transaction processing is really crucial for Bitcoin to go mainstream and to be able to use Bitcoin on many more use cases (e.g. at a vending machine and no one wants to wait 10 minutes at a vending machine).

Is the green address concept supported by the bitcoin protocol? I am checking the source but unable to find any references of green address, on the other hand I can see at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32818.0 that the concept was already discussed in 2011.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 10:18:40 PM

Great, thanks for both replies, they are really useful. I think having fast transaction processing is really crucial for Bitcoin to go mainstream and to be able to use Bitcoin on many more use cases (e.g. at a vending machine and no one wants to wait 10 minutes at a vending machine).

Is the green address concept supported by the bitcoin protocol? I am checking the source but unable to find any references of green address, on the other hand I can see at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32818.0 that the concept was already discussed in 2011.

Green addresses are a layer on top of the bitcoin protocol, not an intrinsic part of the protocol itself.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 10:25:02 PM

A well propagated transaction with a proper fee is very difficult to cancel.  It isn't impossible, but it is beyond the risk threshold of most businesses.

This is what most people forget when they claim "Bitcoins will never be trusted for quick, in-person transactions!"

Businesses already accept a certain amount of risk when dealing in conventional payments: cash could be counterfeit, credit cards could be stolen, customer could be pulling some other kind of elaborate scam. There is much less risk involved in accepting bitcoins before their first confirmation as long as certain simple precautions are taken (i.e. verifying the proper fee was included).

Still around.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 10:41:44 PM

Don't confuse the "green address" stuff discussed in 2011 with the green address instant confirmation (a feature of the green address multisig wallet service), they're different.

The original green address stuff discussed in 2011 is a horrible systemic risk that was generally rejected by the community— thank god, otherwise MTGOX's implosion this year would have resulted in tens of millions of dollars to businesses spread all around the ecosystem.
mtomcdev (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:27:39 PM

Thanks for all inputs about the green address. I am trying to collect all information about it that's available on the net and understand how it works. It seems green addresses are definitely a possible solution to speed up transaction processing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: