Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:45:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New iOS wallet called Bither supporting both online and offline use  (Read 5035 times)
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:32:09 PM

IDK if I would feel comfortable using a mobile device as a cold wallet. I think simply speaking mobile devices are too volatile and susceptible to crashing to be good enough to serve as a cold wallet. From what I can see from the OP it looks like if the screen of your cold wallet were to be cracked to the point that a camera cannot read a QR code displayed on it then you would not be able to sign transactions with it (I guess you could technically sign them, but you would have no way of getting the TX onto the network without connecting it to the internet). Another concern is how frequent it is that people will steal phones, and the number of reasons people have to steal your phone. If someone were to steal your cold wallet phone then you would essentially lose your private keys, regardless if the thief is able to steal your money or not.

Actually mobile devices like iPhone or Android phones are not too easy to crash. The manufactures like Apple, Samsung, Moto are following higher industry standards to provide stable devices for people's daily use. Also because you should keep your Bither Cold Wallet phone in much safer environments, for example in your home but not in your pocket, it will be much safer.

Bither Cold also supports two kinds of backups:
1. You can easily clone the Cold Wallet private keys on a new phone, the only thing you need to do is scan the clone QR Codes.
2. With many Android phones supporting SD cards, you can buy some SD Cards, Bither cold will automatically backup encrypted private keys on SD card.

Bither also support advanced options for private key managements, you can backup the private keys in your own way.

Thanks for your support, Smiley
I said crack not crash. As in the screen getting cracked when you drop it (this is very easy to happen and happens all the time). I think it is a fair point that you would likely keep your phone in a safer environment then a phone you would not use for cold storage, but the risk is still there.

A car has run over my phone. Its screen has been broken. And it still works well as a cold wallet. Here is a photo of my phone. Grin

I would highly doubt that your phone would work as a cold wallet. If you need to display a QR code to be able to spend your coins then it will likely be difficult/impossible for the camera to be able to read what is being displayed on your phone.
I am sure that  can scan qr code
The phone doesn't need to scam a QR code, it needs to display a QR code that is to be scanned by another phone/camera

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: