Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:24:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ron Paul bad for Bitcoins?  (Read 2663 times)
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 09:42:52 PM

Did my trollish subject get you here?

I'm wondering if any Ron Paul supporters are going to be setting up any Bitcoin related Ron Paul services, such as a central place where Bitcoins could be converted to dollars (and the total reported, showing how many Bitcoins people are willing to give to help his campaign) which are donated to the Ron Paul campaign. Or a place that sells Ron Paul stuff, like shirts, buttons, and blimps. It's kind of late to be thinking about, but he has a big money bomb the 5th for the first debates.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 09:27:39 AM

If I had infinite knowledge and time....    Tongue
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 04:47:20 PM

I'm wondering if any Ron Paul supporters are going to be setting up any Bitcoin related Ron Paul services, such as a central place where Bitcoins could be converted to dollars (and the total reported, showing how many Bitcoins people are willing to give to help his campaign) which are donated to the Ron Paul campaign. Or a place that sells Ron Paul stuff, like shirts, buttons, and blimps. It's kind of late to be thinking about, but he has a big money bomb the 5th for the first debates.

I think it's probably too difficult to legally do this for donations.  Too many requirements in knowing who is sending the money and such.

But selling campaign material probably is kosher, as long as you don't do any trademark infringements or something.

Someone with more official capacity could put Bitcoin for donations, and sell them immediately and gather the same personal info required of anyone donating cash.  There are cash limits no how much any person can contribute, so the value would have to be calculated right away.

I should also add that supporting Gary Johnson is also going to be a good thing if you like Ron Paul.  I'd love to see both of them on the stage together so that it won't be as easy to say they are kooks when they aren't alone.

I'll talk to my friend who's wife works for RP to see if they are interested at all if you want.  It might not be big enough to be worth the effort, though.  To set it up, they may have to spend a lot of money, which is more than they'd bring in, so the funds would be better spent doing other things.
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 06:20:44 PM

I think it's probably too difficult to legally do this for donations.  Too many requirements in knowing who is sending the money and such.

But selling campaign material probably is kosher, as long as you don't do any trademark infringements or something.

Someone with more official capacity could put Bitcoin for donations, and sell them immediately and gather the same personal info required of anyone donating cash.  There are cash limits no how much any person can contribute, so the value would have to be calculated right away.

I should also add that supporting Gary Johnson is also going to be a good thing if you like Ron Paul.  I'd love to see both of them on the stage together so that it won't be as easy to say they are kooks when they aren't alone.

I'll talk to my friend who's wife works for RP to see if they are interested at all if you want.  It might not be big enough to be worth the effort, though.  To set it up, they may have to spend a lot of money, which is more than they'd bring in, so the funds would be better spent doing other things.

Actually, I'd prefer the Ron Paul campaign know nothing about it. Anything the person would do would have to be an independent expenditure. The donation thing might be hard. Because campaigns can't take Bitcoins as far as I know, and there are limits. Any of us collecting (as long as we don't belong to the campaign) wouldn't be required to gather information, I don't think, but of course I don't know. Now selling stuff is another story. You sell something, you make a profit, you donate. That's easy. But I was thinking if someone took Bitcoins, they could then cash them in and donate in their name. But then they might try to claim people are donating more than they're allowed. But who knows, because as far as anyone is considered, Bitcoins aren't money. 
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 09:25:42 PM

If Ron Paul ever became president, I think I just might stop caring about bitcoins.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 09:16:16 PM

Just sell gold for bitcoins just above spot price. They'll take the bait. Smiley

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2011, 11:14:37 PM by bitcoin2cash

If Ron Paul ever became president, I think I just might stop caring about bitcoins.

Even assuming that he's not like every other politician that gets elected on undelivered promises, I wonder what he could actually achieve. He wouldn't be a dictator. He would still have to deal with the other branches of government.

Instead of perpetuating an immoral and corrupt system, I think we should just force the government to file for bankruptcy, dismantle it, sell off the pieces to the highest bidders, use the proceeds to pay off its creditors and use the rest as restitution for the victims of eminent domain, drug prisoners, etc.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 09:44:58 PM

Even assuming that he's not like every other politician that gets elected on undelivered promises, I wonder what he could actually achieve. He wouldn't be a dictator. He would still have to deal with the other branches of government.

Instead of perpetuating an immoral and corrupt system, I think we should just force the government to file for bankruptcy, dismantle it, sell off the pieces to the highest bidders, use the proceeds to pay off its creditors and use the rest as restitution for the victims of eminent domain, drug prisoners, etc.

Exactly.  I wouldn't want freedom to be blamed for all the chaos that would erupt from a government collapse.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
MacFall

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 06:13:38 PM

Anarchy in Your Head FTW.

Too bad Dale doesn't seem to be interested in making more of them.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:15:17 PM

Politics in general isn't a great way to promote anything .
c-rock

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

I love the Cloud, and Love Mining, how 2 combine?

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 07:43:15 PM

like others said, campaign finance laws would make this hard to do.
Ron Paul 2012, change you can believe in.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:50:09 PM

. . .  Or a place that sells Ron Paul stuff, like shirts, buttons, and blimps. It's kind of late to be thinking about, but he has a big money bomb the 5th for the first debates.

Sales of campaign merchandise that benefits the campaign must be legally treated the same as donations.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 07:54:10 PM

Politics in general isn't a great way to promote anything .

If I wanted to promote war or torture though, I'd pick politics.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 07:56:46 PM

I wonder if it's due to his fan-supported release schedule. I just sent him 10 BTC, I'm going to see if he'll consider that ~$40 and have his next comic be sponsored by Bitcoin.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2011, 08:03:33 PM

I wonder if it's due to his fan-supported release schedule. I just sent him 10 BTC, I'm going to see if he'll consider that ~$40 and have his next comic be sponsored by Bitcoin.

Generous man, he damn well better consider it at $40.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BitterTea

View Profile
May 11, 2011, 08:08:23 PM

Yeah, I think I'm too used to throwing around bitcoins like they're selling for less than a dollar. Grin

Oh well, economic stimulation! Plus, one of the first times anarchism really clicked for me was while watching Dale's videos.
BitterTea

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 01:30:53 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2011, 09:34:28 AM by BitterTea

Cool, Dale got back to me. He'll release the next comic, and the ad will look like this:

If you feel like chipping in once the ad goes up, you can send me some satoshis here: 1C4iHu9bR1DEcHGRbjRcoa8ceFKhGwea4k

If I receive more than 10 btc I'll put it toward the next comic.

P.S. Can we hack SMF to properly display bitcoin: links? It automatically appends http:// to the url. Sad

P.P.S It's up!

P.P.P.S Sorry for the threadjack.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: