Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:03:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I expect if I'm solo mining?  (Read 4991 times)
trumpetx (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 10:12:48 PM

I'm using the Phoenix miner @ ~ 162Mhash/sec

Up until now I've been mining with bitcoinpool.com.  But after some hack attempts and some connectivity issues with the pool, I've decided to give solo mining a whirl.  I'll probably do something like mine for a month and then rejoin the pool regardless of if I find a block(s) or not.

I've set up my bitcoin.exe -server with a fancy dancy username and password and I have phoenix crunching away with my personal wallet as the (hopefully) lucky recipient.

1) I realize my chances of finding a block are pretty small, but lets just assume I do.  What happens?  Does my wallet just go up by 50 btc one day and I'm like WTF I R rich!?

2) I saw a btc video shortly after the /. story about some guy running a mining rig and he said something like "transaction fees are almost more profitable these days."  How do I get paid these transaction fees?  Again, do they just randomly show up in my balance?  What's up with that?

3) Phoenix miner shows my Mhash/sec, but shows 0 accepted/rejected.  I assume that's there cause I'm not mining with a pool and there's no one to accept or reject my stuff.  I just crunch numbers and hope I hit the jackpot.  Do I have this configured correctly?

PS- The bitcoinpool.com folks are REALLY cool.  They've even taken care of the "Issues" I mentioned earlier...  I don't want this post to somehow construe them in a negative light.

PPS- Thanks for your helpful responses in advance Smiley

MinerStatus Android Application Author
Donate: 1Eyr5mN54UyprUHAw1zXLvkvtDNeG9erD7 to support this project. (Total Received) or sign up for Tradehill

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 10:20:01 PM

What should I expect if I'm solo mining?

I think that pool mining is more psychologically gratifying, especially if you can't mine 24/7/365. It really sucks to mine for a few days straight, get nothing, and then have to stop for whatever reason, to play a game, etc.
trumpetx (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 10:21:11 PM

I mine for about 22 hours a day sans for the 2hrs I'm playing WoW.

MinerStatus Android Application Author
Donate: 1Eyr5mN54UyprUHAw1zXLvkvtDNeG9erD7 to support this project. (Total Received) or sign up for Tradehill
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 10:38:59 PM

I'm using the Phoenix miner @ ~ 162Mhash/sec
With current difficulty it may take about 4 weeks, 5 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes, and 50 seconds to find a block if mining solo. It's not guaranted, may be less and may be much longer. (Difficulty will jump ~40% up in less than a week).

1) I realize my chances of finding a block are pretty small, but lets just assume I do.  What happens?  Does my wallet just go up by 50 btc one day and I'm like WTF I R rich!?
Yes, you will see a generation transaction in your wallet. Then you'll have to wait ~20 hours for 120 confirmations and if it's not failed then your balance will go 50 (+fees) BTC up.

2) I saw a btc video shortly after the /. story about some guy running a mining rig and he said something like "transaction fees are almost more profitable these days."  How do I get paid these transaction fees?  Again, do they just randomly show up in my balance?  What's up with that?
He is wrong, transaction fees are about 0-0.05 BTC per block, rarely up to 0.1.
They will be added to your +50 at the time when block is found.

3) Phoenix miner shows my Mhash/sec, but shows 0 accepted/rejected.  I assume that's there cause I'm not mining with a pool and there's no one to accept or reject my stuff.  I just crunch numbers and hope I hit the jackpot.  Do I have this configured correctly?
You will see "1 accepted" if you hit the block.

PPS- Thanks for your helpful responses in advance :)
Welcome to my pool :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
IlbiStarz

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 01:18:32 AM

I think that pool mining is more psychologically gratifying, especially if you can't mine 24/7/365. It really sucks to mine for a few days straight, get nothing, and then have to stop for whatever reason, to play a game, etc.

Are you saying that if you stop, your progress gets lost or something? I've been stopping a lot because I can't mine 24/7...
WHATTT?
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 01:24:07 AM

there is no progress to get lost.
you can only try one hash at a time and it's either a winner or not, makes no sense to save it.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 01:24:45 AM

probablity of you finding a block:
Code:
Probability	Time
Average 33 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes
50% 23 days, 7 hours, 50 minutes
95% 100 days, 19 hours, 34 minutes

on the other hand, you could get 2 blocks on the same day Cool . Since the money i make via mining is minimal, i go solo mining. nothing to lose...

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2011, 01:37:28 AM

Are you saying that if you stop, your progress gets lost or something? I've been stopping a lot because I can't mine 24/7...
WHATTT?

Your progress doesn't get lost. I was just referring to the psychological aspects. If you mine with a pool, you get something sooner rather than later. I think most people prefer instant gratification.  Cheesy
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:57:17 PM

is there any uptodate thread regarding solo mining?

particularly on the avalon asics.

Holy thread necro !

It's not worth it to solo mine unless you have several TH at your disposal.

Stick with a pool.
pliznau

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:35:34 PM

use this http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/ . according to it if you had like 2 milion mh/s you get a block in 12 hours approx. but bitcoin at this stage it`s a big NO! for solo mining. if you had that kind of hash speed it`s still beter to stick to a pool.

void
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:46:07 PM

Holy thread necro !

Stick with a pool.

I like my threads like my women, cold and rigamortised....

several TH you say???

i was hoping 140GH would be sufficient!!

Definitely want to at least get into the TH range
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:44:51 AM

Holy thread necro !

Stick with a pool.

I like my threads like my women, cold and rigamortised....

several TH you say???

i was hoping 140GH would be sufficient!!

There are 144 blocks generated per day (at target speeds). You currently have 0.08% of the network hashrate approximately, that means you can expect 0.1152 blocks per day or 1 block roughly every 9 days. The process is subject to extreme variability though, you may have a month-long dry spell or find 2 blocks the same day.

In any case, for consistent payoffs, a pool is much better. And pool fees are rarely significant.
driksson

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 11:43:18 AM

how do i calculate based on GH what are the probabilities of finding a block? i realised i found one on eligius actually, but ofcourse only got my share of the block.
i wouldn't mind solo mining for 3-4 months if i at least find one block worth 25btc. or even try a week or two.
As written before here, any info on avalon solo mining setups?
dbbit

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:33:14 AM

how do i calculate based on GH what are the probabilities of finding a block? i realised i found one on eligius actually, but ofcourse only got my share of the block.
i wouldn't mind solo mining for 3-4 months if i at least find one block worth 25btc. or even try a week or two.
As written before here, any info on avalon solo mining setups?

Enter the GH in http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/965a7370fc and look at 'Time per Block (days)'.

You will be better off in a pool unless your 'Time per Block (days)' is smaller than the period between difficulty adjustments (about 10 days).

If you're going for a 25 BTC "lottery", mine in a pool, then use the BTC you get to play Satoshi's dice or equivalent with a BTC 25 payout - your overall odds are better that way.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:05:38 PM

Depends on your mining speed and how long you can mine each day!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: