Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:07:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question regarding mining rigs and profitability.  (Read 1181 times)
Nesiss (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:41:38 AM

A bunch of my friends and I pulled our money together to purchase a Bitcoin miner. We are all putting in about 600$ but I myself am only putting in about 275$. Electricity isn't an issue for me because one of my friends agreed to host the rig at his home for no extra charge.

So my question to you all is do you honestly think I will be able to make my money back/turn a tiny profit. I know there are thousands of variables that no one can predict but I just thought this was a good idea to snag a high powered miner with little risk on our parts. Also we have been looking at the Rockminer R3 and the AntMiner S3, not really sure which one to go for. If all goes well, we will just re-invest our money to purchase more miners. Any thoughts on the best strategy to go about this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Nesiss

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nesiss (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 09:00:03 AM

Or should I purchase a few AntMiner S1's since electricity isn't an issue?
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 01:15:54 PM

A bunch of my friends and I pulled our money together to purchase a Bitcoin miner. We are all putting in about 600$ but I myself am only putting in about 275$. Electricity isn't an issue for me because one of my friends agreed to host the rig at his home for no extra charge.

So my question to you all is do you honestly think I will be able to make my money back/turn a tiny profit. I know there are thousands of variables that no one can predict but I just thought this was a good idea to snag a high powered miner with little risk on our parts. Also we have been looking at the Rockminer R3 and the AntMiner S3, not really sure which one to go for. If all goes well, we will just re-invest our money to purchase more miners. Any thoughts on the best strategy to go about this?

-Nesiss

The s1 and the s3 miners use about the same amount of of power. Let's say you buy an s3 for 600, considering power at 0.15kw, you would get your money back in about 165 to 200 days at the current value of bitcoin. To make $100 a day you need about 6.4th/s.

If you want to learn about mining and have a bit of fun, buy the miner and go for it. If you want to try to profit, just buy $600 worth of bitcoin and sit on it. An alternative strategy would be to mine an alternate sha256 coin and try to profit that way using a multipool.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 01:51:54 PM

-Nesiss

The s1 and the s3 miners use about the same amount of of power. Let's say you buy an s3 for 600, considering power at 0.15kw, you would get your money back in about 165 to 200 days at the current value of bitcoin. To make $100 a day you need about 6.4th/s.

If you want to learn about mining and have a bit of fun, buy the miner and go for it. If you want to try to profit, just buy $600 worth of bitcoin and sit on it. An alternative strategy would be to mine an alternate sha256 coin and try to profit that way using a multipool.

The S3 uses considerably less power than the S1 - 340W for 441GH/s in the S3 vs 360W for 180GH/s in the S1.  In any case, the OP stated power wasn't a concern because he isn't actually hosting the device.

To the OP - if you have a combined $600, you can probably purchase a single S3 from a reseller.  However, do not forget that you also need a PSU, which can add anywhere between $65 for a Dell server PSU with breakout board, to over $200 for a platinum-rated ATX PSU.  Will you profit?  Perhaps.  As you noted, there are a ton of variables that are involved.  At the current difficulty level, the expected daily earnings of an S3 is about 0.01184BTC a day.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Gumbork

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 02:40:23 PM

-Nesiss

I believe your friend would mine if the electricity bills went up $500, but anyway S3 is the best...

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:24:57 AM

How much are you investing as a group? If you're buying 10 S3s (for example), your friend who is hosting them is going to get a huge surprise when the first electric bill arrives. And not mention the noise and heat these things generate! He will certainly demand to be compensated for his expenses and trouble.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:25:18 AM

-Nesiss

It's possible you guys might profit.  It looks like the growth rate might be slowing down as people have figured that they were losing money buying every single miner on preorder.

Your friend is going to be in for a little shock if as noted above you have 10 S3s running.  They will draw around 100KWH every day, 3000KWH in a month.  In my area where electricity is $0.35/KWH that is about $1000 per month in electricity - I hope he has cheap power.
FeodoroAndy

Activity: 57

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:27:40 AM

If the difficulty keeps on this level, you guys can go in the profit zone, especially those, who do not pay for electricity.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 11:30:44 PM

If the difficulty keeps on this level, you guys can go in the profit zone, especially those, who do not pay for electricity.

Difficulty will most definitely NOT stay at this level! Quit giving such terrible advice, please.

We had 2 small difficulty adjustments but that is not a trend you can bank on. Seriously massive PHs are coming online as I type this. We are all in for a very rude awakening.
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:51:36 PM

Funny, does your friend really know what he's doing?  I can imagine it now, being a lawyer...the dude thinks it's cool to host the rigs but then he gets the bill, and takes the electricity costs out of the BTC you guys mined and then everyone gets pissed off.  Or he'll just say hey guys I'm not doing this anymore after 1 month, if he's a nice guy, and suck up the costs for the one month.  Then you're stuck with the rigs.

Just warning you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: