Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:27:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Advertising spam is not allowed  (Read 568072 times)
getmining.info

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:11:54 PM

Advertising mining pools is no longer allowed, including, but not limited to, altcoin announcement threads.  Mining pool ops should make one thread within the Mining section of Alt Currencies. Do not make a separate thread for each coin. Most OP's already link to pools available so advertising your pool is unnecessary and leads to too much spam.

Good!

Ban sockpuppet newbie accounts.

newbie accounts can only post on certain forums for 14 -30 days (and not on altcoin ann threads- to drastically reduce the spam and baseless fud on these threads)

Please save us.

Thanks

Next, this. Please.

All views are my own, except those that I have subconsciously inherited from my parents and those that I have nicked from far cleverer people.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jayson6969

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:50:41 PM

make your own forum guys and allow ANN on it, you don't have to use bitcointalk, I'm sure you guys can come up with a reddit type announce type site and pool ads and such
CoinFinder2

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:51:02 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 03:18:20 AM by CoinFinder2

Ok....

So, please mod the following:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=702380.msg8126676#msg8126676

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=reporttm;topic=702380.193;msg=8126309

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=reporttm;topic=702380.185;msg=8126140

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=reporttm;topic=702380.184;msg=8126043

Rivrcoin thread - "Flashmine"
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=719466.msg8127253#msg8127253

HashHot
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=719466.msg8127303#msg8127303

LightningHash
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715696.msg8119179#msg8119179 - is this one OK?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715696.msg8118350#msg8118350

PoolPE
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715696.msg8118677#msg8118677

MinerPools
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=719466.msg8128504#msg8128504
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:52:03 PM

Advertising mining pools is no longer allowed, including, but not limited to, altcoin announcement threads.  Mining pool ops should make one thread within the Mining section of Alt Currencies. Do not make a separate thread for each coin. Most OP's already link to pools available so advertising your pool is unnecessary and leads to too much spam.

Good!

Ban sockpuppet newbie accounts.

newbie accounts can only post on certain forums for 14 -30 days (and not on altcoin ann threads- to drastically reduce the spam and baseless fud on these threads)

Please save us.

Thanks

Next, this. Please.

Could go a step further. Not allow ANN's to be posted by new posters without a decent post count and history...
Jayson6969

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:54:25 PM

Also if you guys are gonna ban pool might as well ban exchanges from posting because they post as much as pool op's do.
ipominer
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

Mine the hottest new coins at ipoMiner.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 10:57:52 PM

I'm a bit biased, being a pool owner, but I think *excessive* advertising is the issue. Many pools post huge ads and spam them multiple times a page, which is bad. I usually post a single, concise message in a thread that we've added a coin to our pool, which I wouldn't classify quite the same way and would expect many people find useful.

If the rule is going to remain as-is, it should also apply to advertising by ALL service providers in threads then, like exchanges, mining rental sites, cloud mining sites, ASIC hardware companies, etc. There's a lot of spam from those sources.

Mine the hottest new coins at ipoMiner.com!
99.9% uptime, low fees, custom high performance stratum servers, DDoS-resistant
Support by email at support@ipominer.com or ##ipoMiner on Freenode IRC
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 11:00:37 PM

I like this very much. Nearly every thread of new coins is cluttered with " Mine at XXXXXXX best thing blah blah"

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 11:47:54 PM

Seeing flound1129 coming to post here stating that he finds this new rule ridiculous I'm starting to think that it might be the most controversial rule addition bitcointalk ever had. I'm not sure if this was a univeral decision, but I can't see a way that all members of the staff would agree to this. In fact, I personally had never seen a single person complaining about updates posted by pools. They were a really small chunk of what is beeing marked as spam. And in fact, pools are a public service. Operators rely on a (usually never more than 2%) fee to maintain them. Many of them are putting out incredible efforts and deliver amazing results for the miners. It's going to be the first time I'm coming out as a rule, but I agree with flound1129. This decision not only is ridiculous, but bans the kind of posts that were some of the most usefull among the spam. Who is going to get harmed by a single update if it's in the right section? Even if it's advertising, updates about pools adding coins are really useful if you're a miner. I'm sure most of us will know what I'm talking about. If you've ever mined you know why you need to be there as early as possible. Throw your hash to a pool before the big guns arrive. etc. etc.

This new rule is bad because not only it's going to make a mine's life harder, but it's also going to favor the older and bigger pools. This way making distributed mining for smaller coins harder. Oh and please, tell me how much spam is this rule saving us from? I understand this rule sounds somewhat reasonable, but some of those updates were actually usefull! I'm saying that there's no reason for this rule to exist, I know you'll disagree. But beeing so strict about this is not giving more to this community rather than what it takes away from it.
You do realize that any advertise that they do, they are doing it for free here? You can't really complain if there are some restrictions since it is still free.
Some forums do no allow any advertising whatsoever.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 12:45:20 AM

Praise jesus

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
minerpools

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:51:44 AM

Seeing flound1129 coming to post here stating that he finds this new rule ridiculous I'm starting to think that it might be the most controversial rule addition bitcointalk ever had. I'm not sure if this was a univeral decision, but I can't see a way that all members of the staff would agree to this. In fact, I personally had never seen a single person complaining about updates posted by pools. They were a really small chunk of what is beeing marked as spam. And in fact, pools are a public service. Operators rely on a (usually never more than 2%) fee to maintain them. Many of them are putting out incredible efforts and deliver amazing results for the miners. It's going to be the first time I'm coming out as a rule, but I agree with flound1129. This decision not only is ridiculous, but bans the kind of posts that were some of the most usefull among the spam. Who is going to get harmed by a single update if it's in the right section? Even if it's advertising, updates about pools adding coins are really useful if you're a miner. I'm sure most of us will know what I'm talking about. If you've ever mined you know why you need to be there as early as possible. Throw your hash to a pool before the big guns arrive. etc. etc.

This new rule is bad because not only it's going to make a mine's life harder, but it's also going to favor the older and bigger pools. This way making distributed mining for smaller coins harder. Oh and please, tell me how much spam is this rule saving us from? I understand this rule sounds somewhat reasonable, but some of those updates were actually usefull! I'm saying that there's no reason for this rule to exist, I know you'll disagree. But beeing so strict about this is not giving more to this community rather than what it takes away from it.
You do realize that any advertise that they do, they are doing it for free here? You can't really complain if there are some restrictions since it is still free.
Some forums do no allow any advertising whatsoever.

You do realize that pools not only provide a service for low fees for all the miners but that this is also our main job and some of us have families and all?
I understand and it makes complete sense to stop the SPAM on forums, however, pool should be allowed to announce our pools at least once, this allows miners to know which pools are available and they can decide to go to. Devs never add a pool on time, they usually take so long (and most miners don't even look at the OP in full) that pools in general will get a huge loss because of this new rule.
It's not advertising nor spam when a pool announces on a thread, at least not on the first post, if anything should be forbidden is several posts with large fonts and graphics, but not a simple single announcement on a thread.
This is something that needs to be given proper thought and planning, pools are a very important part of crypto and should not be attacked like this.

halicarton

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:12:20 AM

It's really good for the futrue of our forum. Grin

............It's never late to buy BTC for $1.........
........Services-backed cryptocurrency of $1 000 000 000 000 market .........
...........PRE ICO            Sep.27 – Oct.04............
       ............ICO            Oct.10 – Nov.07............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

@scambuster

Activity: 137

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:57:54 AM

Sick of scaming pools,bla bla bla.I support.
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 06:23:07 AM

Not a bad idea if you ask me. Some of these pools jump on any and every coin - even the obvious scams. This can be somewhat misleading to people who are looking for a viable coin to mine and may not have enough knowledge to determine that for themselves; 10 pool listings in a couple of pages of posts might appear to be a 'good' coin, but that may not be the case. This is probably a factor that contributes to pump and dumps. And of course all that does is foster the creation of more shit/scam coins - vicious cycle.

soaples

Activity: 152

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:13:41 AM

agreed..we hate spammers as much as scammers!
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:40:25 AM

i see how this sucks for Pool op's
but i have complained about this problem exactly on topics before..
it gets REALLY bad sometimes just trying to find info on a coin when a pile of pool op's are competing with spam posts.

but i do see a little of it as being useful.. tough call i guess.

it should be pointed out that Pool op's can have an ANN page in the mining section.
so they are not banned entirely (if i got what was said properly by Bear ?)

i already had a bunch bookmarked like ipominer's or miningpoolhub's pool pages.
and i have countless times told guys to go talk on those topics too because people hijack coin topics for pool support.

it's their forum they can do what they want..
and the earlier suggestions have already been addressed all over the forum countless times.
such as Make a rule noobs can't post.. it's been discussed a lot !
like here.. Petition to introduce minimum activity count for ANN thread starters

and about FUD.. i can speculate a bit on the staff's position on this i think.
I don't think they mind it if it's apart of a discussion or debate of sorts.
behavior that is clearly out of line will earn you a ban though !

you guys may not ever see it but people get banned ALL the time !
I don't have a problem with so called FUD'ing ..i like seeing criticism.
raising doubt and fear etc is sort of reasonable considering there is a 1,000 clone coins..
and there has been countless confirmed scams and malware posted either on the initial wallet or on updates way later..
So if you consider the context of all this stuff, yeah i think FUD is fine and actually a healthy part of it all.

A guy was so called FUD'ing jackpot (which i support) for example and everyone was getting all mad..
i can see everyone name calling and wanting a ban or what ever.
and i said i agree with the guy and i see what he is saying and i explained rationally why i chose to get involved with the coin..
i tried to talk it out with the guy basically.. he raised valid criticism and i can't deny it.. although everyone else did out of defensive fanboyism lol
he left right after i talked to him by the way..
I don't see any harm in FUD.

There is worse types of other behavior here i think than FUD'ers.
And the king of them all is shell / dummy accounts created for pretending to be many people liking a new coin etc.
One guy here i seen before admitted to making 60 accounts to advertise his clone coin(s).
And these guys use these account to fight on the forum too !
Knowing if they get banned for bad behavior they can jump to 59 other accounts.. at least i think so, i don't know if this place IP bans people.

I got banned 2x before..
i think once for 5 days and once for 10 days i think. i was given an auto msg at next login that said "Trolling" or "Spamming"
I say that to warn people.. they will ban you and often it's a bit delayed.
And if the FUD 'is' out of control there may be a good reason.. if there 'is' no good reason then i bet they 'will' ban the guy for trolling.
Just trying to say they are watching.. and there is rules.. and people will be banned LOL

rather than banning FUD'ers i'd like to see people banned for Fanboyism and Cheer-leading Scam Coins !
Spamming this forum for attention is big business and is Tool no.1 to the coin cloners besides GitHub of course lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
MineP.it

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:09:03 AM

I see good and bad points from this.

The good mainly being that it might help to get rid of a lot of the "fly by night" pools that don't really offer much and/or are scams. Plus it stops some pools from over spamming threads.

The bad..

It's really going to centralize the altcoin sector much more than it already is. Smaller pools, like ourselves, struggle to get many workers as it is, and I'm guessing it's going to be much, much less from this point forwards. We HAVE to keep reminding users in threads that our pool is there, and the features we offer, or we simply don't get noticed. For example, our pool charges 0.75% for fees, which is one of the lowest around.. but in most OPs you won't see that detail - only in our ad where we list our main advantages.

What I can see happening is basically the hashrate on the few big pools, Dedicated, Suprnova, Suchpool etc, is going to increase and all the other pools are going to get fewer and fewer workers.

Why not make it so each pool can post once in each thread with their ad.. any more than once and it's spam. I don't see the problem with allowing one "ad" each. It's still not ideal for smaller pools like us but it's a bit of a compromise at least.

https://www.minep.it - secure, stable mining pools | 0.75% fees | chat | forums | one login for 40+ pools | unique interface
Pools: Bitcoin | BitMark | ConspiracyCoin | CryptCoin | CureCoin | DarkCoin | Digit | DogeCoin | Dvorakoin | FeatherCoin | FractalCoin | Hiro | IsraelCoin | KarmaCoin | Kryptonite | LimeCoinX | Litecoin | MultiWalletCoin | Negotium | NewWorldOrder | OzzieCoin | PyramidsCoin | RootCoin | SaveCoin | Shade | SurvivorCoin | SysCoin | TalkCoin | TitCoin | Trinity | UseCoin | UtopiaCoin | VertCoin | ViaCoin | VirtualCoin | VirtualMiningCoin | WankCoin | WorldCoin | ZetaCoin
sisx2007

Activity: 137

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:27:01 AM

How about IPO is no longer allowed.So many scammers!
wartywarlock

Activity: 208

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 11:32:29 AM

Considering it's using SMF, they could also, you know, implement many of the mods available. Like good post/bad post, karma anything. So many options, such lazy devs...if you keep saying "if you don't like it, go to reddit" um.. yeah. Guess what..
HeadsOrTails

Activity: 233

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 11:33:52 AM

I am a pool op, and I actually support this.

Listen, I've seen many pool ops post large image advertisements of their pool. This advertisement would then get quoted countless times. That definitely spam's up a thread.

There are other ways to advertise a new pool, like SuprNova just posted, the main page of the pool op's website, and a twitter feed.

However, I do think mod's should also do something about the FUD spreaders, don't just come down on the pool ops.

FUD is healthy and needed if there is a free for all scam environment..
funny you say they should so something about FUD'ers and NOT the scammers LOLOLOL
that is a coin cloners desperate little attempt to cry for protection for your shit coin cloning here i think.

guys don't forget half these coin cloners run pools too..
how else do you think they collect those bounties LOL

and if anyone thinks i just said that because i am trying to cover my own behavior i am not..
i rarely ever post on coins in the ANN section and i actually try and leave them alone ..no matter how scammy they are.
simply because my posts will not do anything but bloat the forum.. and it won't do any good
AND i don't want to bump their crap coin topics for them hahha

Well put. I actually can see the logic to this now...
If a dev can't answer a pm, then it's a scam. In fact, this is probably one of the best ways to nip the whole "48 hour dev" thing in the bud.
As for censoring FUD ... That's ridiculous, FUD as some call it is what I call UD ... If you don't have uncertainty and doubt over a coin promising the world and pushing for 24 hour pow times then you're the bigger fool.
My concern is by targeting mining pools though, it's going to accelerate ICOs and the like. Take a look at GroupCoin for example... Promising "fair distribution" but has NO POW PHASE. All ICO sales.
HeadsOrTails

Activity: 233

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 11:35:34 AM

How about IPO is no longer allowed.So many scammers!

Indeed, look at this... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703610.0
Full ICO.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: