Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:02:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-31] CT: Bitcoin's "Political Neutrality is a Myth" Amir Taaki interview  (Read 1340 times)
donotsow (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:35:58 PM

Bitcoin's "Political Neutrality is a Myth" Amir Taaki interview

Q: What do U think is Bitcoin's greatest weakness?
A: Consensus

Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
colinistheman

Activity: 872
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:24:09 PM

Great read.

Every bitcoin user should read this article to understand his point of view so that we can, as a group, stop regulation and centralization of Bitcoin through covert and hidden means.

I agree with everything Amir says in this article. He is a genius in his own way.

He has a talent for seeing the eventual effects of actions taken now, such as regulations in the guise of "helpful activities to boost Bitcoin adoption". Really all that is happening is there are individuals trying to covertly attack Bitcoin and take away its power.

If all of us are aware of this, then we can stop it by refusing to agree with bad decisions and proposed changes that would cause harm to Bitcoin.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:33:35 PM

I'm 50/50 on Amir. I think he's getting too consumed by his own anarchist ego.

Bitcoin is a shitty payments system. It is not meant for buying coffee at Starbucks. It is an economical tool to enable new forms of trade to thrive which extends further into the areas of resource management, decentralized law, and digital governance. We can use this to create the next generation of economic activity between humans, and organize on a local level much larger than ever before possible. We can find new ways to disempower banks, politicians, lawyers, police, judges and institutions.

I mean why is he saying stuff like that? Bitcoin isn't just for anarchists to get their jollies. It's for everyone. If someone wants to use it to buy coffee they should. If they want to buy drugs with it they should, and of course if anarchists want to use it to bring about a revolution; go for it, but don't make out it's for only one agenda.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 03:36:53 PM

for me he is always a little bit to fanatic (and libertarian) but we need that kind of guys too.

@Sutters Mill

100%

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:08:20 PM

I predict that Amir Taaki will become this century's Tesla. He is very smart and he is very productive. His contributions have been impressive and will continue to be noteworthy.

In the end, his grip on reality will be questioned and he will eventually be pushed into obscurity by people with money and power.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
rtt

Activity: 48

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:28:20 PM

Love it.

But I wish he didn't hold back and would tell us how he really feels about this fucked-up world run by bloodthirsty lunatics. Wink
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:52:33 PM

He is a fascinating individual. Beyond the monetary use I do think bit coin will be a powerful political force. Bit Coin will develop into a robust and efficient payment system as well.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 07:50:48 PM

Bitcoin is a shitty payments system. It is not meant for buying coffee at Starbucks. It is an economical tool to enable new forms of trade to thrive which extends further into the areas of resource management, decentralized law, and digital governance. We can use this to create the next generation of economic activity between humans, and organize on a local level much larger than ever before possible. We can find new ways to disempower banks, politicians, lawyers, police, judges and institutions.

I mean why is he saying stuff like that? Bitcoin isn't just for anarchists to get their jollies. It's for everyone. If someone wants to use it to buy coffee they should. If they want to buy drugs with it they should, and of course if anarchists want to use it to bring about a revolution; go for it, but don't make out it's for only one agenda.

We'll do our thing, you do yours, just don't go bitching to the government when we actually succeed Wink

He is a fascinating individual. Beyond the monetary use I do think bit coin will be a powerful political force. Bit Coin will develop into a robust and efficient payment system as well.  

There are already some very interesting projects evolving from the Bitcoin protocal, Open Bazaar, a spin off of the Dark Market that was prototyped by UNsystem and then there's twister and that new Dark Mail that's supposed to be in the works as well as Dark Wallet being worked on by Amir and the people he works with to keep the government away from Bitcoin.
Ludi

Activity: 274

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:11:03 PM

Bitcoin is a shitty payments system.

Wow, way to go at promoting Bitcoin Amir by slagging it off. Amir's got a lot of good ideas but I'm almost certain he's going to end up in the gutter someway whether that be he gets in trouble with the law or just goes nuts.

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Come original.

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:14:20 PM

I agree with this. I think he's got a bit of a one track mind when it comes to bitcoin and he's not seeing the bigger picture. I think he soley wants bitcoin to fuck the government and bankers over, and whilst yes bitcoin can be used for that its not its only purpose.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 01:08:47 AM

I agree with this. I think he's got a bit of a one track mind when it comes to bitcoin and he's not seeing the bigger picture. I think he soley wants bitcoin to fuck the government and bankers over, and whilst yes bitcoin can be used for that its not its only purpose.

I think in general he wants more freedom. Technology can be very powerful as many of us have probably experienced here.  I mean, some of the older amongst us may have experienced a time without the world wide web.. technology can empower people.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 07:42:05 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 12:49:53 PM by ArticMine

These people are dangerous because of the influence they wield over Bitcoin that can destroy it as a free and open system. Recently Gavin made a post calling to raise the blocksize limit which is connected to this vision of Bitcoin as a system for payments. There is an agenda behind that kind of talk because raising the blocksize limit morphs Bitcoin as a better payment's system but centralizes more power with miners - which is already at dangerous levels in Bitcoin. We can either have a decentralized, free and uncensored Bitcoin, or a centralized Bitcoin good for payments (same as the banks).

He is completely wrong on the raising the blocksize limit issue. The problem with his analysis is that there are enough people "living in squats" around the world to bring the Bitcoin network to its knees should even a very small fraction of them use Bitcoin with the current 1MB blocksize limit. Furthermore that is without any of them using Dark Wallet. As a programmer he should simply know better. The fear of "bloat" leading to centralization and corporate control is in reality FUD because of Moore's law. Ironically keeping the 1 MB blocksize will lead to a situation where only the very wealthy will be able to use Bitcoin cost effectively because of sky-rocketing network fees.

Edit: I have lost a lot of respect for Amir because of his position on the 1 MB blocksize limit.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Kosta#

Activity: 55

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 08:00:33 AM

Amir is full of shit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: