Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:28:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 135 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Stellar  (Read 521193 times)
atoni

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:07:48 PM

So what is your opinion on the possibility that he made an agreement with Ripple Labs to NOT sold them and find another way?

I think thats not possible but I dont know. He got what he wanted, Chris donated his so he is not profiting while Jed still keeps community as hostage. He would be stupid to sell and lose that advantage. Although if he was really a man he should stick to his word.

He is very well aware that only way for stellar to succeed is if he tells people they will make money with stellar and not with xrp.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 06:09:09 PM

Anyway, we still have to understand why he had to leave Ripplelabs (by his choice? it still not clear) like one year ago.
He could just maintain his founder stack, waiting for Ripple spread.
He would made a lot more money than selling by now.

The price of XRP is going down, but he is still not selling them.
As you said he has 8.5 bilion of XRP, more than the STR he has now (and he seems that he hasn't them directly, the Stellar foundation has them)

To me it doesn't seem a sort of choices for his own only interest.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:09:26 PM

So what is your opinion on the possibility that he made an agreement with Ripple Labs to NOT sold them and find another way?

He has been selling, and without community transparency on basic questions like timelines and quantities. After fueling fire sale speculation, he has now left everyone in the dark. July 31 is the last mention of identified activity in this thread: Jed McCaleb = Troll or scammer?

He was not selling. He sold only small quantities (small compared to 9 billion, he sold maybe 20 million in total). He started to threat with orders again right before stellar was released (thats when its mentioned in that thread).
mnporter2001

Activity: 602
Merit: 250

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:12:16 PM

6000 Stellars for free!
You can get 6000 Stellars for free by adding Facebook sign-up and by confirming your email.

Well that's bullshit, you only get 2250 and now you don't even get that, they have people queued up now and you may or may not get your free coins.
And no mention of how long they will hold you in a que

Cheers
Mark

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████
       █████████   █████  █████
      ███████████   ███  █████
       █████████   ███  █████
        ███████   ███  █████

Powered by,
hypostatization

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:12:46 PM

He was not selling. He sold only small quantities (small compared to 9 billion, he sold maybe 20 million in total). He started to threat with orders again right before stellar was released (thats when its mentioned in that thread).

I think we are in agreement.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 06:14:32 PM

I think that it's important to understand what does he means when talks about "community".
I don't think that he is probably talking about XRP holders, but more on a widespread meaning.

atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:17:52 PM

Anyway, we still have to understand why he had to leave Ripplelabs (by his choice? it still not clear) like one year ago.
He could just maintain his founder stack, waiting for Ripple spread.
He would made a lot more money than selling by now.

The price of XRP is going down, but he is still not selling them.
As you said he has 8.5 bilion of XRP, more than the STR he has now (and he seems that he hasn't them directly, the Stellar foundation has them)

To me it doesn't seem a sort of choices for his own only interest.

As I understand he had argument with CEO about approach they should take. Ripple Labs tried hard to take bottom up approach and spread a couple of billions XRP to bitcointalk members but it didnt work out so they figured its better to try top down approach.

Also, there was leaked lawyer letter where it says that Chris and Arthur (other co founders) wanted to return their XRP to company so they can be spread but Jed was against it and wanted Ripple Labs to pay him millions (at that time his stake was valued at some 100 million USD) instead of giving them to spread through community. That was probably the main reason why Jed left as he couldnt get millions right away.

He is not selling dont worry, he knows that he has Ripple Labs in pocket with just threating and in case they do manage to succeed he knows he will make a lot more money then just dumping them now on market that isnt liquid enough to even absorb 1/10th of his stash.

Jed isnt stupid, he is good at math and he likes to make millions more then anything.
atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:19:46 PM

I think that it's important to understand what does he means when talks about "community".
I don't think that he is probably talking about XRP holders, but more on a widespread meaning.

Yeah he is not talking about XRP holders anymore, he holds that community as hostage.
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 06:21:45 PM

Also, there was leaked lawyer letter where it says that Chris and Arthur (other co founders) wanted to return their XRP to company so they can be spread but Jed was against it and wanted Ripple Labs to pay him millions (at that time his stake was valued at some 100 million USD) instead of giving them to spread through community. That was probably the main reason why Jed left as he couldnt get millions right away.
Can you give me a link on it?

atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:25:50 PM

Can you give me a link on it?

Please go through either xrptalk.org or official forum you will find it there its published.
hypostatization

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:26:05 PM

Here is a revealing quote from ahbritto regarding Jed on the official forum (5/22/2014):

He hasn't been on the operating team for about a year, and hasn't been on the board since April.

Regarding loss of his leadership position within the company, prior to his departure, this quote from Jesse Powell (former board member) is also revealing:

In fact, my relationship with Jed has been almost non-existent since the board opted to keep Chris on rather than Jed, when Jed forced us to decide between them. I’m sure Chris does not appreciate how personally difficult that decision was for me, but I did what I thought at the time was in the best interest of the company. It certainly wasn’t in the best interest of my friendship with Jed.

It seems he left the company by choice, after contributing little, and with a grudge against Ripples Labs.

Edit: a link to the requested cease and decist letter is inline in my response (as the source of the Jesse Powell quote above)

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
hypostatization

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:38:17 PM

As I understand he had argument with CEO about approach they should take. Ripple Labs tried hard to take bottom up approach and spread a couple of billions XRP to bitcointalk members but it didnt work out so they figured its better to try top down approach.

Adding a little more context here.

Ryan Fugger, creator of the core Ripple community vision (NOT JED), previously made this comment:

I spent years working on growing pre-XRP Ripple in a grassroots fashion, and it was ultimately a barrier that people and small businesses aren't used to being credit intermediaries. I generally prefer the grassroots approach, but it makes sense to me to initially target institutions that are already acting as credit intermediaries, at least for the credit network portion of Ripple.

If anyone represents the community vision, I think it would be Ryan Fugger.

Jed, meanwhile, has decided to bootstrap Stellar by giving 2% of all STR to Stripe. Any nod Jed is making toward community is pure disingenuous marketing.

HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 06:40:27 PM

From the letter:
Sadly, the vision Jed and I had for the project in the early days has been lost. I’m no longer confident in the management nor the company’s ability to recover from the founders’ perplexing allocation to themselves of 20% of the XRP, which I had recently would be returned. Prior to Jed's departure from Ripple, I had asked the founders to return their XRP to the company. Jed agreed but Chris declined
uh, it seems quite the opposite.

When the Jesse's statements are true and when not?

atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:42:48 PM

From the letter:
Sadly, the vision Jed and I had for the project in the early days has been lost. I’m no longer confident in the management nor the company’s ability to recover from the founders’ perplexing allocation to themselves of 20% of the XRP, which I had recently would be returned. Prior to Jed's departure from Ripple, I had asked the founders to return their XRP to the company. Jed agreed but Chris declined

Thats Jesse's part (at that time he was attacking Ripple Labs and wanted to get money from them), you need to look on what other side answered if its still there.
atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:45:24 PM

Almost none of what Jesse said was true.

He got confronted with lawyer that had minutes from those meetings, got embarassed and immediatelly he shut up and never showed up again.
hypostatization

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:54:15 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 07:12:37 PM by hypostatization

From the letter:

It quickly becomes a he said/she said game. David Schwartz seems to be the voice most trusted by the community, and made the following statement:

This is David Schwartz, JoelKatz on the Bitcoin forums. I first became involved in what became Ripple Labs when Jed McCaleb hired me to investigate if a distributed agreement protocol could solve the double spend problem without a central authority. Jed and I met Jesse Powell at a burrito shop in Berkeley and convinced him to become the first investor.

Chris Larsen co-founded the company with Jed, taking on the operating role of CEO. With Chris at the helm, Ripple Labs has grown to a team of more than 50 people, pursuing a shared vision to make the Ripple protocol an open, decentralized, payment system by building utility and liquidity. Today, I'm Chief Cryptographer at Ripple Labs and a member of the Board of Directors.

We knew we would face a number of challenges, from the technical to the regulatory, but nobody could have expected the destructive behavior we've seen these past few days. Jesse's assertion that Chris was and is unwilling to give back his founders' stake to Ripple Labs is completely untrue. Arthur posted on the issue yesterday. I trust that the community has the judgment to see who is building and who is scorching the Earth.

I feel bad for Jesse in all of this. I think he ended up getting caught in the cross-fire, and possibly ended up being played by Jed. His timing of his resignation announcement was suspect, but understandable from the perspective that he wanted to prevent the exact scenario we are now in. Jed and Jesse had separate interests regarding the founder XRP, but seemed to unite for bargaining leverage against RL. I trust Jesse's words, so far as they fully represent the information he had available. Jesse also apparently helped line up the Fidor.de deal, which has been a major win. I trust in JoelKatz for having the most complete picture.

Multiple interests were involved, and little of the core conflict seems to have had anything to do with the community.

Jed's primary goal seems to have been a cash payout from Ripple Labs, as his girlfriend received. Jesse, meanwhile, seemed most concerned about the founder XRP not being distributed to investors---and preventing this exact scenario (Jed going nuclear). I understand his position, and it seems reasonable to me.

hypostatization

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:57:04 PM

He got confronted with lawyer that had minutes from those meetings, got embarassed and immediatelly he shut up and never showed up again.

Do you have a source for this?

tonyback

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:58:00 PM

STR is up on bx.in.th  Grin
atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:59:08 PM

Do you have a source for this?

There was entire lawyer letter published somewhere, I am not sure if its on forums or on reddit but its published.
atoni

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 07:00:15 PM

STR is up on bx.in.th  Grin

Yeah, STR is probably very good speculation, they will release it very slowely so that price can go up. Its also great marketing so price will go further up because of that too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 135 »
  Print  

Jump to: