Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:02:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 135 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Stellar  (Read 521195 times)
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:06:57 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 01:18:32 AM by instacash

Reality is people don't read the news like they used to.  Especially obscure internet news about cryptos which are hard to come by unless you know where to look for them.

People don't even watch YouTube videos like they used to.  Most popular Bitcoin video on the internet is from the early 2010s and only has a few million views

Well, don't forget that Bitcoin is actually not that popular yet (on top of that people generally have a hard time understanding how it works, not to mention having to download a huge blockchain unless they use Electrum/Multibit or the like). From Feb '14 [1]:
How many Bitcoin users are there? Well, a safe guess for the upper limit would be the total number of Bitcoin addresses with more than 1 mBTC (or 0.64 USD). That upper bound of total Bitcoin users is about 1.2 million. That number is actually fairly optimistic, because many users may have multiple Bitcoin addresses with balances greater than 1 mBTC. At block 180,000, Bitcoin addresses containing less than 1 mBTC (what Bitcoiners call "dust") make up more than 95% of all addresses and together hold 173 BTC.

It's definitely interesting to see Stellar coming up "over night", its message being pushed out to Businessinsider, Fortune, WallStreetJournal etc. More publicity on the net is impossible.

https://twitter.com/rabois/status/494880635786256384
Keith Rabbis:  We never accomplished our original vision at PayPal.  Time to fix that:  https://www.stellar.org/blog/introducing-stellar/

Some of the more prominent members of Stellar's interesting team:

Keith Rabois, executive roles at PayPal, LinkedIn, Slide and Square
Jed McCaleb, creator of eDonkey, original developer of MtGox
Patrick Collison, cofounder and CEO of Stripe
Joi Ito, Director of the MIT Media Lab
Greg Stein, Director at the Apache Software Foundation
Matt Mullenweg, Founder and CEO of Automatic (Wordpress)
Naval Ravikant, Founder of AngelList
Sam Altman, President of Combinator
Jackson Palmer, Dogecoin Co-Founder

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:14:16 AM

Reality is people don't read the news like they used to.  Especially obscure internet news about cryptos which are hard to come by unless you know where to look for them.

People don't even watch YouTube videos like they used to.  Most popular Bitcoin video on the internet is from the early 2010s and only has a few million views

Well, don't forget that Bitcoin is actually not that popular yet (on top of that people generally have a hard time understanding how it works, not to mention having to download a huge blockchain unless they use Electrum/Multibit or the like). From Feb '14 [1]:
How many Bitcoin users are there? Well, a safe guess for the upper limit would be the total number of Bitcoin addresses with more than 1 mBTC (or 0.64 USD). That upper bound of total Bitcoin users is about 1.2 million. That number is actually fairly optimistic, because many users may have multiple Bitcoin addresses with balances greater than 1 mBTC. At block 180,000, Bitcoin addresses containing less than 1 mBTC (what Bitcoiners call "dust") make up more than 95% of all addresses and together hold 173 BTC.

It's definitely interesting to see Stellar coming up "over night", its message being pushed out to Businessinsider, Fortune, WallStreetJournal etc. More publicity on the net is impossible.

https://twitter.com/rabois/status/494880635786256384
Keith Rabbis:  We never accomplished our original vision at PayPal.  Time to fix that:  https://www.stellar.org/blog/introducing-stellar/

Some of the more prominent members of Stellar's team:

Keith Rabois, executive roles at PayPal, LinkedIn, Slide and Square
Jed McCaleb, creator of eDonkey, original developer of MtGox
Patrick Collison, cofounder and CEO of Stripe
Joi Ito, Director of the MIT Media Lab
Greg Stein, Director at the Apache Software Foundation
Matt Mullenweg, Founder and CEO of Automatic (Wordpress)
Naval Ravikant, Founder of AngelList
Sam Altman, President of Combinator
Jackson Palmer, Dogecoin Co-Founder

Never heard of Slide and Square.  Paypal was worth nothing until Ebay bought them out.  LinkedIn.. isn't that just a resume website?

As well strong assumption that some former disgruntled executive is the samething as having that actual company on board.

eDonkey who?
Strip what?
MIT media who?
Angellist what?
Combinator who?
Dogecoin co-founder?   Lips sealed

Worse of all you're still assuming that the mainstream public cares about any of the above.  Paypal and Linkedin could get some attention from certain people but the rest are unknowns.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
instacalm

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:18:10 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 01:28:34 AM by instacash

Never heard of Slide and Square.  Paypal was worth nothing until Ebay bought them out.  LinkedIn.. isn't that just a resume website?

Worse of all you're still assuming that the mainstream public cares about any of the above.  Paypal and Linkedin could get some attention from certain people but the rest are unknowns.

I am not assuming anyone knows any of the above, you made that up. I said it's an interesting team, which is undeniable (=> power structures).

Seems like Stellar is your new obsession after your NXT rampage, eh? Keep it cool TaunSew.

P.S. Slide and Square are interesting companies when it comes to electronic payment services. Not sure why you haven't heard of them.

MIT media who?
That one was a joke, was it?
chanz

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:19:06 AM

It keep saying "Connecting" what's the deal can't send either says you need to connect first. Any idea what's wrong Huh

My BTC address : 1KfS1c14Tg2hgQEVz2bCJeFox6FpyYFvM6
TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:34:54 AM

I am not assuming anyone knows any of the above, you made that up. I said it's an interesting team, which is undeniable (=> power structures).

Seems like Stellar is your new obsession after your NXT rampage, eh? Keep it cool TaunSew.

P.S. Slide and Square are interesting companies when it comes to electronic payment services. Not sure why you haven't heard of them.

MIT media who?

By the way - I can't know everything about the money transfer industry because there's thousands of companies (if not tens of thousands) in that game now.  Plenty of parasites who are just looking to convince people to throw money at their products or services.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 01:36:18 AM

Never heard of Slide and Square.  Paypal was worth nothing until Ebay bought them out.  LinkedIn.. isn't that just a resume website?

Worse of all you're still assuming that the mainstream public cares about any of the above.  Paypal and Linkedin could get some attention from certain people but the rest are unknowns.

MIT media who?

By the way - I can't know everything about the money transfer industry because there's thousands of companies (if not tens of thousands) in that game now.  Plenty of parasites who are just looking to convince people to throw money at their products or services.

MIT = Massachusetts Institute of Technology

and pretty much common knowledge.

TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:39:15 AM

MIT media who?

By the way - I can't know everything about the money transfer industry because there's thousands of companies (if not tens of thousands) in that game now.  Plenty of parasites who are just looking to convince people to throw money at their products or services.

I doubt it's that common knowledge.  Bitcointalk is an international forum.  I'm not from the American east coast so why would I know any universities there?  Average person in France, Germany or Australia wouldn't even recognize MIT in a public conversation (as in not allowed to cheat to use the Google machine to find out what it is).

I could start naming off acronyms for major universities in multiple countries and most people wouldn't get them.

instacalm

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:40:06 AM

MIT media who?

By the way - I can't know everything about the money transfer industry because there's thousands of companies (if not tens of thousands) in that game now.  Plenty of parasites who are just looking to convince people to throw money at their products or services.

I doubt it's that common knowledge.  Bitcointalk is an international forum.  I'm not from the American east coast so why would I know any universities there?  Average person in France, Germany or Australia wouldn't even recognize MIT in a public conversation (as in not allowed to cheat to use the Google machine to find out what it is).

I'm German and it is common knowledge here indeed -- if you are educated, that is.

But TaunSew, this thread is not about what you know and what not, is it? Back to topic Wink
TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:43:46 AM

MIT media who?

I'm German and it is common knowledge here indeed -- if you are educated, that is.

Now you're running in circles.  This coin is supposed to be accessible and promoted to millions of people, but now you are clearly reinforcing what we all know about crypto currencies in that it's a sapio interest.

Stellar thinks it can somehow do better than Bitcoin in educating millions of people to use crypto currencies but I haven't seen any proof of it yet.  They're not embarking on an expensive education campaign - they just want to get in and get out with their money, simple.

instacalm

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:50:15 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 02:02:46 AM by instacash

(1)Now you're running in circles.  (2)This coin is supposed to be accessible and promoted to millions of people, (3)but now you are clearly reinforcing what we all know about crypto currencies in that it's a sapio interest.

(1)No. (2)Yes. (3)? (we were talking offtopic about knowing or not knowing MIT), other than that I agree: cryptocurrency, in the larger scheme of things, is a topic pretty much unknown to the general public and I don't see this changing for a long time if at all.

Stellar thinks it can somehow do better than Bitcoin in educating millions of people to use crypto currencies but I haven't seen any proof of it yet.  They're not embarking on an expensive education campaign - they just want to get in and get out with their money, simple.

Well, I didn't claim they'd be doing better than Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency. All I did was to emphasise its obvious wide-scale promotion, as well as its interesting team, that's it. Whether it can do well or not is another story.
TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 01:56:14 AM

(1)Now you're running in circles.  (2)This coin is supposed to be accessible and promoted to millions of people, (3)but now you are clearly reinforcing what we all know about crypto currencies in that it's a sapio interest.

(1)No. (2)Yes. (3)?

Stellar thinks it can somehow do better than Bitcoin in educating millions of people to use crypto currencies but I haven't seen any proof of it yet.  They're not embarking on an expensive education campaign - they just want to get in and get out with their money, simple.

Well, I didn't claim they'd be doing better than Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency at all. All I did was to emphasise its wide-scale promotion, as well as its interesting team, that's it.

Sapio just means this is still a very niche thing and its' only appealing to a small obscure population around the world.  Bitcoins' capitalization is still smaller than something like dropbox, for instance.

I don't see it with this stellar.  Ripple has been in the money transfer business since 2004 and this some kind of weird divorce w/ ex members.

I think the whole giving $10 out to each person in the wrong way to go at it.  The speculation money train between 2009 to 2013 is what made Bitcoin popular with its' 1 to 2 million users. 

HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 02:02:06 AM

TaunSew is right.
Even Bitcoin is the biggest scam, look at Satoshi.
He worked just for 1 year, and he left with more than 1m of Bitcoin!

Everything's scam! Roll Eyes

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:06:13 AM

TaunSew is right.
Even Bitcoin is the biggest scam, look at Satoshi.
He worked just for 1 year, and he left with more than 1m of Bitcoin!

Everything's scam! Roll Eyes

Satoshi did not have retrospective knowledge that Bitcoin would someday be worth $10 billion.  While Stellar has always been in the business to make money for themselves (in before you claim "non-profit" that's just a taxation loophole).   A 5% spending premine and locking up another 94% is a huge premine.

HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 02:13:37 AM

So are you suggesting that buying Stellars now is a good investment? Smiley
You seem pretty sure...

TinEye

Activity: 639

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:15:42 AM

So you are suggesting that buying Stellars now is a good investment? Smiley
You seem pretty sure...

I do not think it is a good investment now. I would wait for the distributions to be done and market to stabilize before buying.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:19:54 AM

So you are suggesting that buying Stellars now is a good investment? Smiley
You seem pretty sure...

I do not think it is a good investment now. I would wait for the distributions to be done and market to stabilize before buying.

Distribution won't be done for years..  remember they said they wanted to distribute to millions!

The issue in buying now is that supply is severely limited while in months it may not be (plus Stellar and Stripe will be dumping their coins at some point).

HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 02:22:36 AM

They say on the mandate that they aren't going to sell them for the next 5 year. (if they will)

TaunSew

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:33:19 AM

They say on the mandate that they aren't going to sell them for the next 5 year. (if they will)

Because that's set in stone.  As well Stripe wouldn't want to get its' ROI until 5 years down the line.

AFAIK they said they would cover operating expenses by selling coins but how's that any different from a non-profit charity where the owner can write themselves any salary (even in the millions) they want?  It's not.  Just using the term "non-profit" is enough to set red flags about their intentions.  Non-profit in the United States in the majority of cases is a way to get around taxation obligations and has nothing to do with actual charity.

HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 02:41:26 AM

AFAIK they said they would cover operating expenses by selling coins but how's that any different from a non-profit charity where the owner can write themselves any salary (even in the millions) they want?  It's not.  Just using the term "non-profit" is enough to set red flags about their intentions.  Non-profit in the United States in the majority of cases is a way to get around taxation obligations and has nothing to do with actual charity.
So what's the matter?
I'm sure that they like money, so they will try to get the highest price to sell less Stellars as they can.

It's like saying that this will be a "5 years open source scam", and they will be doing only "marketing" and nothing else for all this time.

It seems quite difficult to me, but anyway, the cryptocurrency world is always new Grin

Just to remember that Jed could simply maintain his XRP stack (that was higher than his Stellar stack), and waiting for the spread of Ripple in the world just by standing on his sofà.
Is he prefering to risk all his XRPs for opening a new risky scam?  Roll Eyes

So sure it can be a big failure, but not a scam.

wangxin

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:43:04 AM

It's too difficult to get free stellar.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 135 »
  Print  

Jump to: