Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:10:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to get a new "bitcoin foundation"???  (Read 1269 times)
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:13:30 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 05:32:30 PM by iluvpie60

I really don't have much faith in the bitcoin foundation, especially with the shady people they have hired a little while back. The organization to me screams of something going on shady in the background and the loss of Andreas was a blow.

I don't have the time to make a foundation nor the know how to program at higher levels and do any of that kind of thing. But honestly, if someone started a new one and it gained some momentum and had features for the community to interact and be controlled by the community with some kind of voting system, I think it would do very well and easily beat out the bitcoin foundation. I think it would easily beat out anything else there is. Forums are OK for spreading information, but they don't have much impact on voting for something or driving a policy. What I am talking about is a system/protocol that lets people vote and actual things happen. Almost like a kick starter type of deal, only with bitcoin.

We need something that is interactive that gives people a voice. Bitcoin already gives others a voice in a different way that is separate from regular currencies. I think it is time we had something that is controlled by the masses for the good of bitcoin.

For example. The Dogecoin by the way of reddit amateurs sponsored the Nascar wrap on a race vehicle and it had a lot of free publicity through the news when it happened(this appeals to low information people like "Joe Smiths" of the world). They sponsored the Jamaican Bob Sled team and also raised money for some chairities that got them into the limelight temporarily and also got some unlikely people to learn about Dogecoin. I do agree Dogecoin is pretty much worthless now that it has crashed but in terms of advertising and getting the community involved they were doing it better and the word was spreading.

I think we need something more like this built into an actual mostly trustless system that is also 100% transparent and doesn't do offline shifting around. I say mostly trustless because someone has to be in charge of where the funds ultimately go and what addresses hold those funds(just like exchanges do). Or maybe there could be an actual protocol built to handle where funds go and people have to vote on it(could get messy).

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:59:28 PM

I still don't know what the Bitcoin Foundation even does. I tried to find out more about them but they lock parts of their website, wanting to charge you ungodly amounts of money to become a member and read their discussions.

It honestly just seems like a cool kids club for nerds. Zero appeal.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3196

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:11:35 PM

There is nothing that prevents you from creating another organization that has the goals that you believe are important. If others believe similarly, they will join your organization. Go for it!

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:30:46 PM

before opening another foundation, association, etc. as there are already 5 in the UK and atleast 1 in every country. what you need to do is work out what the group would actually bring to the community and accomplish in the real world.

apart from a central meeting place for bitcoin users (business & investors) would it be the point of access for the Dev's looking to get a wage, would it be a place for lobbyists to get a wage from crowd sourcing funding.

there is no point in having membership fee's and groups of people, if nothing in the reality of the real world gets accomplished.

i see too many times that people want to set up businesses or groups without having a business plan/agenda or actualy researched the purpose and results the group/company would cause to the real world.

so please will people atleast try to build up a contact list of 'world changers' that can actually get things to actually happen in the world, way way before asking for user/member fee's.

put short. there are too many foundation groups of 'circle jerking' board members getting paid to just jerk-off in their office chairs. so if your not going to offer real world benefit, dont even bother asking for money.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:37:38 PM

The bitcoin foundation doesn't do anything. You hear people say bitcoin is a ponzi, well the BF is a scam. All they do is collect money has anyone ever heard of them even talking about bitcoin?

No... So millions of $$$$$ collected... Not even a picture of their mancave.
jjc326

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:42:22 PM

I think the BF got "first mover" advantage and the uninformed even think it has some sort of power over BTC.  So if you made a competing organization I'm sure a lot of people would support you.  Like other said though, you need to clearly define what you want to do - develop, get the word out, get more acceptance, etc.

And, you'll want to not let scummy sites be "gold" members, as if that means anything
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 03:43:49 PM

Do we really need a centralized organisation to represent a decentralized network?

It makes no sense imho. Bitcoin is not about policy, it's about technology. And it's the revolutionary bitcoin technology that will ultimately force politicians to adapt. Throwing in money to influence bitcoin policy is pointless. It will not work.

Apart from that the members of the Bitcoin Foundation have not been elected. Therefore all they do is representing themselves and not the bitcoin community as a whole. It will be no different with a new foundation.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:26:06 PM

Do we really need a centralized organisation to represent a decentralized network?

It makes no sense imho. Bitcoin is not about policy, it's about technology. And it's the revolutionary bitcoin technology that will ultimately force politicians to adapt. Throwing in money to influence bitcoin policy is pointless. It will not work.

Apart from that the members of the Bitcoin Foundation have not been elected. Therefore all they do is representing themselves and not the bitcoin community as a whole. It will be no different with a new foundation.

ya.ya.yo!

It would be controlled by the masses as I said in my opening post.
jjc326

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:27:59 PM

ya.ya.yo!

If you're serious, you will need to define what the "masses" are.  Are you going to allow everything to be open to a vote by every Bitcoin holder?  How will you ensure people don't scam the system?  Or do you mean everyone on this forum will get a vote?  Will we vot eon policy or will we vote to elect reps?  See there are a million questions - think them through.
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:38:04 PM

ya.ya.yo!

If you're serious, you will need to define what the "masses" are.  Are you going to allow everything to be open to a vote by every Bitcoin holder?  How will you ensure people don't scam the system?  Or do you mean everyone on this forum will get a vote?  Will we vot eon policy or will we vote to elect reps?  See there are a million questions - think them through.

I am serious and I also said I don't have the skills to program this type of thing nor will I. I am typing this hoping someone will take my idea and actually do it. My idea isn't listing the millions of things because that would be too time consuming for just me to do. Just because I stated my idea doesn't mean I should do this, there will be someone who is better at doing this type of thing that should do it.

By facilitating conversation on here though I am sure you/people can add to what it would need. I do plenty of thinking but I already stated I am not doing this. I would be happy to think of things and discuss them though.
raganius

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:50:47 PM

Bitcoin is decentralised. No central authority is in it's very soul. That's why it's so beautiful.

The Bitcoin Foundation as well as any other foundations to be created (we are free to create as many bitcoin foundations as we wish, as someone has already noted here) is very welcome to help, as long as it refrains from trying to arrogate itself the title of "Bitcoin Central Authority" (that's what they are not).
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:56:21 PM

There is nothing that prevents you from creating another organization that has the goals that you believe are important. If others believe similarly, they will join your organization. Go for it!
I wholeheartedly agree. There is no reason why we can't have twenty foundations. It could only help, IMO. You might also want to check your facts about the B.F. The controversy about board members was not about people who were "hired". They won popular elections.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:59:06 PM

i got no problem with people making decentralized groups but i am laughing at people writing above saying about 'how will people vote on "it" ' or 'who will control "it" '.. and yet no one is talking about what the foundation will actually achieve in reality.

stop thinking about grabbing members and giving members the power to vote before establishing the purpose and goals. start talking about what the members will be even voting on, what the foundation will actually be in control of, what the foundations motives are and what the foundation is even required to do,

anyone can make a group of circle-jerkers that votes on who gets to pick their nose first. or who gets to buy the pizza. but in reality its not helping bitcoin grow. so please stop thinking of the member/money grab and start thinking about who you lot know that can actually DO something.

i simply hate all these foundations that DO nothing but vote on useless things because no one is there to DO things. so shut up about voting, shut up about board members and concentrate on getting programmers, lobbyists, advertising companies FIRST and foremost.

do it the proper way. otherwise your just forming another committee of circle-jerkers.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
raganius

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:03:56 PM

i got no problem with people making decentralized groups but i am laughing at people writing above saying about 'how will people vote on "it" ' or 'who will control "it" '.. and yet no one is talking about what the foundation will actually achieve in reality.

stop thinking about grabbing members and giving members the power to vote before establishing the purpose and goals. start talking about what the members will be even voting on, what the foundation will actually be in control of, what the foundations motives are and what the foundation is even required to do,

anyone can make a group of circle-jerkers that votes on who gets to pick their nose first. or who gets to buy the pizza. but in reality its not helping bitcoin grow. so please stop thinking of the member/money grab and start thinking about who you lot know that can actually DO something.

i simply hate all these foundations that DO nothing but vote on useless things because no one is there to DO things. so shut up about voting, shut up about board members and concentrate on getting programmers, lobbyists, advertising companies FIRST and foremost.

do it the proper way. otherwise your just forming another committee of circle-jerkers.

Agreed. We need useful works. Not more voting grafts... enought of this form our governments already
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 06:13:18 PM

The bitcoin foundation doesn't do anything. You hear people say bitcoin is a ponzi, well the BF is a scam. All they do is collect money has anyone ever heard of them even talking about bitcoin?

No... So millions of $$$$$ collected... Not even a picture of their mancave.

They (probably) sponsor/create some of the Bitcoin conferences and (definitely) talk to politicians, regulators, and the media, so...
("The bitcoin foundation doesn't do anything...")
Sometimes the real danger is when they 'do do' something.

iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:17:45 PM

I agree with you about forming the correct group. What I am advocating for is something that lets everyone vote on everything. I mean yes it might be time consuming to vote on stuff, we could even vote on what the heck the organization should be about, who better to decide then active knowledgeable people?

Maybe there could be a requirement of some kind, or a qualifier to keep out bots/spammers from making tons of accounts. A simple test on even what bitcoin is would be a great gate keeper for keeping people out who might pollute the vote with stupidity.

There is any number of ways to do it, my whole point is highlighting the lack of something that IS controlled by "we the people".

I really don't like the path bitcoin is going down, there is too much trust we have to put into the associations/groups/people/exchanges already. We need a decentralized voting system that can control funds that will be applied towards what the people vote on, and it needs to have the options to kick people out and put new people in if said funds are not being used for what the people are asking for. Anything that goes towards that is already better than the bitcoin foundation.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:22:01 PM

i still have no fucking idea what the bitcoin foundation does that helps the cause of bitcoin.. so i'd say no, we don't need bitcoin foundation. it's just another way for people to group together to help themselves out (and gives them a perception of authority).
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 07:24:39 PM

Yes we need a new bitcoin foundation Badly.

The new foundation could help greatly with organized efforts to get more major retailers to start accepting bitcoin and etc.

The currency foundation does "jack shit".

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:02:31 PM

Yes we need a new bitcoin foundation Badly.

The new foundation could help greatly with organized efforts to get more major retailers to start accepting bitcoin and etc.

The currency foundation does "jack shit".

I guess this is what "jack shit" looks like.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/

This week our new website launched. You can go there and read about the efforts you seem to be unaware of.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

I agree with you about forming the correct group. What I am advocating for is something that lets everyone vote on everything. I mean yes it might be time consuming to vote on stuff, we could even vote on what the heck the organization should be about, who better to decide then active knowledgeable people?

Maybe there could be a requirement of some kind, or a qualifier to keep out bots/spammers from making tons of accounts. A simple test on even what bitcoin is would be a great gate keeper for keeping people out who might pollute the vote with stupidity.

There is any number of ways to do it, my whole point is highlighting the lack of something that IS controlled by "we the people".

I really don't like the path bitcoin is going down, there is too much trust we have to put into the associations/groups/people/exchanges already. We need a decentralized voting system that can control funds that will be applied towards what the people vote on, and it needs to have the options to kick people out and put new people in if said funds are not being used for what the people are asking for. Anything that goes towards that is already better than the bitcoin foundation.

dude your still obsessed with the forming a group of users. please shut up about the users and voting. there are 30+ associations, co-ops, foundations, committee's, consortiums etc.

all of these have some form of open voting system for all members. but do you know what they all have in common with your idea. they have no actual purpose!!

just like government elections.. wow every 4 years people get to vote on something. yet the votes are meaningless. wars still happen, taxes still get collected, public services get budget cuts. there is no point in having a group or voting system unless you have an actual purpose for the group. if people had for instance the leader of the military that would only make the order to go to war if the public voted yes.. then there would be a purpose for national voting. if there was a national tax treasury guy that would spend the taxes however the voters decided, then there would be usefulness for a national vote. but if all your going to vote on is who sits in the head board seats and get a wage for sitting there, then its worthless.

now lets talk about the 30+ bitcoin groups... yes they vote on leadership, yes they vote on who has the largest... "third leg" they can vote on anything they like.. but there is no actual lobbyist advertiser, programmer, lawyer, PR rep amongst them doing a god damned thing to help the community. they are there just chatting with each other circle jerking each other telling each other how they are part of a special foundation. while the reality is, .. nothing. no real world change is happening.

so please stop waffling on about the skeleton of the foundation, stop whispering idea's of the voting system and instead concentrate on shouting out asking for people that can actively DO THINGS!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: