Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:51:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery  (Read 1620 times)
regedit (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 09:52:22 AM

The giant hole in the remote energy-rich Yamalo-Nenetsky region first came to light in a video uploaded to YouTube that has since been viewed more than 7 million times.

A screenshot of the crater from the YouTube video.

A vast crater discovered in a remote region of Siberia known to locals as "the end of the world" is causing a sensation in Russia, with a group of scientists being sent to investigate.

The giant hole in the remote energy-rich Yamalo-Nenetsky region first came to light in a video uploaded to YouTube that has since been viewed more than 7 million times.

"The crater is enormous in size – you could fly down into it in several Mi-8s (helicopters) without being afraid of hitting anything," the person who posted the video, named only as Bulka, wrote.

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:56:04 AM

Why do all those things have to be in Russia? I mean they have that Kora borehole (A hole so deep, it supposedly reached hell) and they had the Tunguska event. Oh and they had the Tsar Bomb, which resulted in the biggest man-made explosion. Oh I almost forgot about that freak meteor 2 years ago!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:02:05 PM

Why do all those things have to be in Russia?

Why does everything have to happen in America?* Smiley

*In reference to close to all scifi movie plots.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:04:46 PM

That is fucking annoying Tongue that said, you go to any country where a movie is made etc. they'll often have the whole setting revolve around their country, Japan is just as guilty of this with... Well, a huge percentage of anime Cheesy
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:36:23 PM

Any new info about what caused it. I dont believe the explosion story. There would have to be a lot more material lying about in the surrounding landscape and next to the hole not just the little pile. If that is 70 meter deep and a diameter of 30 there should be about 46 000 m3 of dirt and rocks lying in the field, there is none.
Shattered

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:33:12 PM

I wonder where it leads to. If there is hell it should be somewhere in there Cheesy

Not sure where it leads to, but can we send Sarah Palin to find out?

Seriously tho, this is pretty crazy.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:26:50 PM

Why do all those things have to be in Russia? I mean they have that Kora borehole (A hole so deep, it supposedly reached hell) and they had the Tunguska event. Oh and they had the Tsar Bomb, which resulted in the biggest man-made explosion. Oh I almost forgot about that freak meteor 2 years ago!

Well, looking at the map, they have a huge land area - so it seems natural that a lot of stuff is going to end up happening there. Tongue

And considering a lot of it is sparsely inhabited, what else remains to be found there? Smiley
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:21:19 PM

Any new info about what caused it. I dont believe the explosion story. There would have to be a lot more material lying about in the surrounding landscape and next to the hole not just the little pile. If that is 70 meter deep and a diameter of 30 there should be about 46 000 m3 of dirt and rocks lying in the field, there is none.

And, nary a seismic reading.

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:44:57 PM

yeh, no seismic reading, apparently its a sinkhole like the on in Guatemala #5 in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSp-sVguGjY
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 05:14:44 AM

I'm pretty sure Chupacabra and Godzilla are not American - otherwise they would be much fatter and would watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians instead of terrorizing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: