Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:31:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross Ulbricht’s Silk Road Defence Invokes Fourth Amendment  (Read 1603 times)
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:32:36 AM

I have not really read up on this case, but since it is so high profile, I cannot imagine a judge allowing the case to be thrown out.  I think he faces trial any way you look at it.   It is really a shame, but they are definitely making an example out of him so that people are afraid to do the same thing...
Even if the judge does not throw out the case, Ross's legal team can appeal any ruling that the Judge makes. If the appellate court rules against him then he can appeal to the Supreme court. I would not at all be surprised if the NSA was somehow involved in finding the Silk Road servers in Iceland and the government may not want to disclose this, if this is the case it would not be all that unlikely that Ross's charges are dropped or significantly reduced.

They obviously obtained the server location illegally, and are going to do whatever they can to avoid revealing that. Maybe they will just never reveal how they did it and take their chances that the judge doesn't throw it out. In that case, it goes to the jury, and I don't see how any jury would find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt without all the evidence. Only time will tell!

Regardless what you think of Ross (personally, I think he's a fricken Hero!) if he gets found guilty on all charges, it will be a serious blow to certain internet freedoms as we know it!
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

I Believe

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 10:05:43 AM

The ruling of this case will have huge ramification for all bitcoin users.

How do you figure? Please explain. I don't think the ruling in this case will have any affect at all on BTC or its users.
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 10:45:10 AM

Ross is using a brain wallet, the FBI only have access to something like 25% of his coins or something along them lines. Once he gets out no matter what all he has to do is use ANY computer and put in his memorable question and memorable answer and bam he has access to his hundreds of millions of dollars. This is what the FBI are trying to do now, they know he is using a brain wallet but they can't seem to crack the question/answer pass-phrase.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 11:43:36 AM

They obviously obtained the server location illegally, and are going to do whatever they can to avoid revealing that.
QFT. Unconstitutionally at the very least, but we all know what these people think of the constitution... they wipe their ass with it daily. They are above the law, or so they seem to think.

Lots of people in this thread seem to be operating under the illusion that the US law enforcement system functions in a just way... It does not. Rigged trials are very common. The Injustice System will have its way.

But hey, at least Ross is white so there's hope for him...

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:58:02 AM

Ross is using a brain wallet, the FBI only have access to something like 25% of his coins or something along them lines. Once he gets out no matter what all he has to do is use ANY computer and put in his memorable question and memorable answer and bam he has access to his hundreds of millions of dollars. This is what the FBI are trying to do now, they know he is using a brain wallet but they can't seem to crack the question/answer pass-phrase.

How do you figure this?? His personal Bitcoin is here, and he has an open case against the government to get them back.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 12:07:10 PM

How do you figure this?? His personal Bitcoin is here, and he has an open case against the government to get them back.
Moreover, since we know the US has no problem torturing people, a brain wallet would probably be the last thing you would want in their custody.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: