Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:07:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless.
True
False

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][WSX][WeAreSatoshi]X11|PoS/PoW|EST 2014|Low Cap|Active Development MN  (Read 83289 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MrData

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 02:23:46 AM

My point is, the swap should not have been closed.  Please give me a legitimate reason why it was closed before the 14.3m ran out.

We can't keep a swap going indefinitely, wasting time, resources, and electricity keeping the old v1 network running. After a reasonable time pretty much everyone who wanted to swap will have done it already, burning the remaining coins gives people with interest in the coin an accurate view of the number of coins in circulation and proves that we aren't going to try to dump the coins later. Would you have us be running in in 50 years time with probably 12-13 million unclaimed coins left? This is the crypto world where premines that size have a bigger effect on a coin, not the EU where you could trade in your old Marks for Euros for several years because it wouldn't make a dent. I know you are trying for some high grade trolling but nobody is going to fall for it and get behind you.

Am I not correct in stating that people can continue the version 1 WAS if they build a network around it? HYP forked off of Truck coin and you were able to keep both coins. Now I know most developers say you can't do that but I witnessed first hand it being done.

Yes, anyone could take the last version of the v1 client I made and make a new fork that starts giving block rewards again if they want to.

CoinPayments - The original multi-cryptocurrency payment processor.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
glassgoose45

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:47:02 AM

glassgoose45- We gave people plenty time to do the swap and it was announced on this thread, on the old thread, cryptocointalk, multiple times on Twitter. I even personally PM every single users on the old thread and emailed you to inform about the take over. It will be pointless to go back and forth claiming to be the community when you're the only one that speak, where were you when WAS needed and if you supported WAS as nearly as you did, this whole thread wouldn't even exist. If you want to support us then all by mean, welcome. If you don't then stay off this thread. I don't want to delete posts but I will if I have to. It's now a new era for WeAreSatoshi X11 (WSX) and we have much to do. Cheers!

Just want to set the record straight, you did not PM every user. I received no PM from you, and I was active on the old thread.

So you are the one who decided that everyone else got plenty of time?  Why did you decide that, may I ask?  What reasoning and evidence did you have that 100% of the community had plenty of time to swap?

Just because I am the first person to notice this doesn't mean I am claiming to be the community.  And I don't think my questions and reasoned arguments justify post deletion.  I am just pointing out that you have shut off conversion to everyone else, after deciding that they had enough time, and I am wondering why you are being so stubborn about discussing the possibility of re-opening the swap, after it was mistakenly closed before allowing 100% of the community to participate, or even to deplete the original swap funds.

Where was I when WAS needed me?  I spent 3-4 months helping with the original #WAS, I created the original website and logo, and the second I had to turn off my PC and pack and move to a new state, I unpack and see it has been taken over.  Yes I was upset, but I am over that now, except for being upset at how this conversion is being handled.  Please answer my perfectly justified questions about why the swap was ended early, and why it cannot be re-opened.
AmericanComputerNerd

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

"Change is the only constant." -Heraclitus

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 03:00:48 AM

Oh boy.....  You're missing the point.....

The swap was not closed early.  It was simply closed after we noticed that swaps were dropping off to nearly 0 daily, and then a waiting period of ~2 weeks.  During this process, not only was there communication on the forum / websites, but alerts were sent out via the client as well.

If you took the time to go back and read the old threads, you would see that our intention from the start was to only maintain a swap for a short period of time.  There was never any dialogue about keeping it open indefinitely.

The market conditions are telling us the right thing was done...  The price has doubled, actually almost tripled, since the swap ended.
glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:01:03 AM

My point is, the swap should not have been closed.  Please give me a legitimate reason why it was closed before the 14.3m ran out.

We can't keep a swap going indefinitely, wasting time, resources, and electricity keeping the old v1 network running. After a reasonable time pretty much everyone who wanted to swap will have done it already, burning the remaining coins gives people with interest in the coin an accurate view of the number of coins in circulation and proves that we aren't going to try to dump the coins later. Would you have us be running in in 50 years time with probably 12-13 million unclaimed coins left? This is the crypto world where premines that size have a bigger effect on a coin, not the EU where you could trade in your old Marks for Euros for several years because it wouldn't make a dent. I know you are trying for some high grade trolling but nobody is going to fall for it and get behind you.

Am I not correct in stating that people can continue the version 1 WAS if they build a network around it? HYP forked off of Truck coin and you were able to keep both coins. Now I know most developers say you can't do that but I witnessed first hand it being done.

Yes, anyone could take the last version of the v1 client I made and make a new fork that starts giving block rewards again if they want to.

No one is suggesting you personally spend your money and resources to keep a coin network going which you don't support.  I am saying what about all the people who do support v1, why can't they be allowed to keep the network running?

I can see there are conflicting views on why the swap was ended.  You say it was for promotional reasons, so that the new v2 coin could gain more buyers and confidence.  And my view is that all the v1 buyers and miners who missed out won't be able to enter the new market AT ALL with their v1 coins anymore.  Surely the two views could be made to align if we work together.  Why couldn't we re-open the swap at the current market rate?  Or have a v1/v2 exchange?  Your response will probably be "well why don't you make a v1/v2 exchange then" but I don't know how, and I would hope the new team would care enough about the old coin to make this a task on their to-do list.

I seriously disagree that in 50 years time there would still be 12-13 million unclaimed coins left.  But I understand your point about wanting to have investor confidence.  I am just trying to find a solution for myself and probably others who missed out on the swap.

Please don't say you "know" I am trolling.  You don't know me, you don't know my situation, and you don't know the situations of anyone else in the community.  That is assumption, and that is not right.  You need to account for the fact that other people may have different opinions brought about by different experiences.

If I was trolling I would be flaming too.  I am not here to troll or flame.  I am here to try and work out a solution for myself and possibly many others who may have missed the swap.  I am not trying to get people behind me.  I am trying to work with you, despite my previous reservations.

If you could give me some pointers on how to fork the v1 version so it can work again, please do. I would really appreciate it, and it would get me out of your hair.
glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:07:51 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 03:20:18 AM by glassgoose45

Oh boy.....  You're missing the point.....

The swap was not closed early.  It was simply closed after we noticed that swaps were dropping off to nearly 0 daily, and then a waiting period of ~2 weeks.  During this process, not only was there communication on the forum / websites, but alerts were sent out via the client as well.

If you took the time to go back and read the old threads, you would see that our intention from the start was to only maintain a swap for a short period of time.  There was never any dialogue about keeping it open indefinitely.

The market conditions are telling us the right thing was done...  The price has doubled, actually almost tripled, since the swap ended.

I don't believe I am missing the point, if you will hear me out.

You say there was communication on the forum/websites (although I saw nothing on the website), and alerts were sent out via the client?  I got no such alerts via the client, which I have had open and running for several months.  And why are people expected to keep up with the forum threads?  The website should be the one main source for all information, especially important notices.  I visited the website several times over the last 3-4 months, and saw no notice, no warning of swaps ending.  I saw no discussion about original intention because I was not present for the time when the v2 was announced.  But I did see the announcement OP, and saw nothing about the swap details in there beyond the v1 client link.

If you bear with me, and believe me when I say I am not trolling, isn't it reasonable to assume I'm not the only one who missed all this?  You really believe I am the only member of the community who was not present during the v1/v2 move?  I guess right now I have no way to prove otherwise, but I think if we wait a few months, there will be more disappointed people trickling in.  And who are we to decide that its okay to ignore even 1% of the community, just because the majority of people active already swapped?

But I digress, as I see now the swap cannot be reopened now that it has been closed and the market has begun acting. The swap should never have been closed, in my opinion, but that is just my opinion which is colored by my experience.

What I am suggesting now is that the new team focus on opening a v1/v2 exchange, at market price.  Its a shitty situation for anyone who missed the swap, but thats to be expected with new coin announcements, if you miss the early buy you miss out. But my point is, v1 coins that were unswapped should still be tradable, at new market prices, so their value isnt 100% lost.

Why wouldn't you want more people to buy v2 with v1?  I thought the goal of any currency was to allow conversion to as many other currencies as possible, in hopes of that currency becoming more used, and therefore more valuable.
Mxrider420z

Activity: 619
Merit: 289

Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★ Portuguese/SPA

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:13:21 AM

Portuguese translation done, please add to op> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=771049.0

Thanks

MrData

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 03:21:08 AM

If you could give me some pointers on how to fork the v1 version so it can work again, please do. I would really appreciate it, and it would get me out of your hair.

The bare minimum would be to fork my repo at https://github.com/WeAreSatoshi/WeAreSatoshi and re-enable block rewards.
The current v1 block number is 726259 so for example if you wanted to fork at 726275. In src/main.cpp on line 1259, change:
if (nHeight > V2_HARDFORK_BLOCK)
to:
if (nHeight > V2_HARDFORK_BLOCK && nHeight < 726275)

glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:27:01 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 03:39:00 AM by glassgoose45

The bare minimum would be to fork my repo at https://github.com/WeAreSatoshi/WeAreSatoshi and re-enable block rewards.
The current v1 block number is 726259 so for example if you wanted to fork at 726275. In src/main.cpp on line 1259, change:
to:

Damn this is going to be tough.  I don't even know how to fork something.  I'm a designer.  I really wish you guys would have just let the v1 coin go on...   Why did it have to be shut down, if you knew you were eventually going to close the swap?

Is there any way you could revert the fork back to how it was before, (or do whatever changes are necessary) and just release it one last time?  As a favor for me?  I know I have been nothing but trouble, but I hope you see this is an opportunity to add some more followers to WSX...  If we can get v1 up and running again, there is a chance at a v1/v2 exchange, and you may see some v2 buyers which previously you would not have seen.

I see no reason why #WAS shouldn't be re-enabled for those who want to support it still.  It has already served its purpose in fueling the v2 launch, and the swap has ended, so no ill effects would come of re-enabling it.  If anything, it would boost the popularity of v2, and save at least one person some major depression and heartache.

I hope I have proven my good intentions for this project.  I am sorry for my harsh words before.  I was upset about a project I cared for so much being changed so drastically while I was away.  PM me if you want to receive the credentials for the WAS foundation, as I cannot take care of such tasks anymore.
tom14cat14

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:44:34 AM

to:

Damn this is going to be tough.  I don't even know how to fork something.  I'm a designer.  I really wish you guys would have just let the v1 coin go on...   Why did it have to be shut down, if you knew you were eventually going to close the swap?

Is there any way you could revert the fork back to how it was before, (or do whatever changes are necessary) and just release it one last time?  As a favor for me?  I know I have been nothing but trouble, but I hope you see this is an opportunity to add some more followers to WSX...  If we can get v1 up and running again, there is a chance at a v1/v2 exchange, and you may see some v2 buyers which previously you would not have seen.

I see no reason why #WAS shouldn't be re-enabled for those who want to support it still.  It has already served its purpose in fueling the v2 launch, and the swap has ended, so no ill effects would come of re-enabling it.  If anything, it would boost the popularity of v2, and save at least one person some major depression and heartache.

I hope I have proven my good intentions for this project.  I am sorry for my harsh words before.  I was upset about a project I cared for so much being changed so drastically while I was away.  PM me if you want to receive the credentials for the WAS foundation, as I cannot take care of such tasks anymore.

I think what they are saying is v1 can still go on. Just not by them. I do agree with them. I am glad the cut it off because it gives more certainty to WSX because we know how many coins there are. V1 was worthless. I had over 750 million of them and I gladly did the 1000 to 1 swap. It is a failed coin. But if someone wants to bring it back they can it would just take work to do. In my view 2 months is plenty of time to swap. Now I did not pay attention to how they got the word out about the date being set. I did see it in the Title that it was ending 8/31 but not sure how long it was there. To me if they gave two week notice that they will end it then it is fine with me because if you cant check on an investment once every 2 weeks then you shouldn't be invested in Crypto's. 2 weeks is an eternity here. Thats why I consider this gambling and not investing. A lot of normal investing strategies do not work here.
glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:42:16 AM

I think what they are saying is v1 can still go on. Just not by them. I do agree with them. I am glad the cut it off because it gives more certainty to WSX because we know how many coins there are. V1 was worthless. I had over 750 million of them and I gladly did the 1000 to 1 swap. It is a failed coin. But if someone wants to bring it back they can it would just take work to do. In my view 2 months is plenty of time to swap. Now I did not pay attention to how they got the word out about the date being set. I did see it in the Title that it was ending 8/31 but not sure how long it was there. To me if they gave two week notice that they will end it then it is fine with me because if you cant check on an investment once every 2 weeks then you shouldn't be invested in Crypto's. 2 weeks is an eternity here. Thats why I consider this gambling and not investing. A lot of normal investing strategies do not work here.

I agree too, if the goal was to boost v2's growth ASAP then ending the swap sooner rather than later was a good idea.  My point was that killing v1 completely was unnecessary.  It could have been re-enabled after the swap ended, and v1 could continue on, if people still wanted to mine or trade it.  v1 was worthless by design (AT FIRST), that was the whole point of such a high volume coin, if you read the original post by MrBrew he made an eloquent case for it.  It was meant to be a perfect introduction coin for new people, because its so easy to mine, it can be given away nearly free.  We Are Satoshi, one little worthless coin is nothing but together they are the community.  That's why I was so upset to hear that a coin founded on the principles of low value but high volume has been deemed irrelevant for the very reason it was created before it could even fully mature, and replaced with a different concept of a coin in the same name.  I want to see v1 mature fully.
merval

Activity: 74

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:00:42 AM

I agree too, if the goal was to boost v2's growth ASAP then ending the swap sooner rather than later was a good idea.  My point was that killing v1 completely was unnecessary.  It could have been re-enabled after the swap ended, and v1 could continue on, if people still wanted to mine or trade it.  v1 was worthless by design (AT FIRST), that was the whole point of such a high volume coin, if you read the original post by MrBrew he made an eloquent case for it.  It was meant to be a perfect introduction coin for new people, because its so easy to mine, it can be given away nearly free.  We Are Satoshi, one little worthless coin is nothing but together they are the community.  That's why I was so upset to hear that a coin founded on the principles of low value but high volume has been deemed irrelevant for the very reason it was created before it could even fully mature, and replaced with a different concept of a coin in the same name.  I want to see v1 mature fully.

While I fully support WSX and want to see it grow, I also would like to see the original coin continue to live as well. A few things would NEED to change though, it can't be called WAS or even WeAreSatoshi. It would only cause harm to WSX. It needs to be re-branded with a new name and logo.

With that said, forking v0.8.99.9 (the last release prior to WSX), is possible., and then moving forward at block 726,259. I've also got the previous blockchain from v0.8.99.7 (which was the last release prior to the fork for swapping), synched. Matter of fact, I had just messaged MrBrew yesterday about the possibility of doing something with the original coin.

Now, I'm not a coin dev either, but I'm technically savvy and can catch on to things pretty quick. I'm currently looking through the source code for the fork that MrData put out.

PM me if you wish to, I have a few ideas for old coin.

- Merval
merval

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:27:13 AM

While I fully support WSX and want to see it grow, I also would like to see the original coin continue to live as well. A few things would NEED to change though, it can't be called WAS or even WeAreSatoshi. It would only cause harm to WSX. It needs to be re-branded with a new name and logo.

With that said, forking v0.8.99.9 (the last release prior to WSX), is possible., and then moving forward at block 726,259. I've also got the previous blockchain from v0.8.99.7 (which was the last release prior to the fork for swapping), synched. Matter of fact, I had just messaged MrBrew yesterday about the possibility of doing something with the original coin.

Now, I'm not a coin dev either, but I'm technically savvy and can catch on to things pretty quick. I'm currently looking through the source code for the fork that MrData put out.

PM me if you wish to, I have a few ideas for old coin.

Made the change that was suggested to the source, and compiled it. syncing to the chain now

- Merval
glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:59:27 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 10:12:06 AM by glassgoose45

Made the change that was suggested to the source, and compiled it. syncing to the chain now
Hey!  Good stuff man.  If we are rebranding v1 to a new name I can help, I would like to do it in a way that pays homage to the original concept MrBrew had.  I also created the original logo, and I still have the PSD file for it, so I can make something recognizable as #WAS but new and different too.

If you ever read MrBrew's original posts (both the original and the repost) you would know the story of this coin is really a community victory.  He created it late at night after being inspired by something, but got frustrated by some negative feedback and deleted it and went to sleep.  But then the next morning he found the coin somehow was still going, someone had kept it alive and mined several hundred blocks, and he realized that was exactly why he created the coin, for the people, not for himself or one person.  Its an altcoin that summarizes the bitcoin community as a whole: starting from one person, something larger can grow, and even if it is killed, one person can revive it again

May I suggest a name that is both recognizable and different, such as WeAreStillSatoshi / WASS ? Or is that still too similar do you think?

I'm gonna start mining v1 again right away.  And I hope we can work together with the v2 team to create a v1/v2 exchange, so both coins can continue to flourish and grow.
merval

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:26:39 AM

Hey!  Good stuff man.  If we are rebranding v1 to a new name I can help, I would like to do it in a way that pays homage to the original concept MrBrew had.  I also created the original logo, and I still have the PSD file for it, so I can make something recognizable as #WAS but new and different too.

If you ever read MrBrew's original posts (both the original and the repost) you would know the story of this coin is really a community victory.  He created it late at night after being inspired by something, but got frustrated by some negative feedback and deleted it and went to sleep.  But then the next morning he found the coin somehow was still going, someone had kept it alive and mined several hundred blocks, and he realized that was exactly why he created the coin, for the people, not for himself or one person.  Its an altcoin that summarizes the bitcoin community as a whole: starting from one person, something larger can grow, and even if it is killed, one person can revive it again

May I suggest a name that is both recognizable and different, such as WeAreStillSatoshi / WASS ? Or is that still too similar do you think?

I'm gonna start mining v1 again right away.  And I hope we can work together with the v2 team to create a v1/v2 exchange, so both coins can continue to flourish and grow.

You will want to delete just your blockchain and chainstate directory and then sync to my node: 50.78.177.185

I haven't found the naming section of the coin just yet. Figured I would bring it back online and get some blocks rolling.

As for WASS, I like it, but it still might be too close. Maybe WeAreNakamoto / WAN? (might create a new thread so we aren't confusing the WSX users, as well as plugging their thread.)

- Merval
merval

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:46:55 AM

to:

Question for you sir, with making this change, how does one go about removing the coin swap message from the wallet?

- Merval
glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 11:13:46 AM

You will want to delete just your blockchain and chainstate directory and then sync to my node: 50.78.177.185

I haven't found the naming section of the coin just yet. Figured I would bring it back online and get some blocks rolling.

As for WASS, I like it, but it still might be too close. Maybe WeAreNakamoto / WAN? (might create a new thread so we aren't confusing the WSX users, as well as plugging their thread.)

OK I'll see if I can figure out what to do.  I've never had to manually do that stuff before.  But I think I can figure it out, or Google can for me.

I like WAN, but if we are not using the Satoshi name then I say let's do a complete reversal, and make it IAmNakamoto  Or NakamotosAreUs

Post a link to the new thread in here and we will continue v1 specific discussion there, so we aren't bothering anyone here.  I definitely like the idea of plugging their thread, since both of these coins share the same origin.

General question, are there any other coins with both a v1 and v2? Either explicit in the name or not?
AmericanComputerNerd

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

"Change is the only constant." -Heraclitus

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 11:24:33 AM

I am glad to hear something positive is coming from all of this!  To change the name within the source code, the easiest thing to do is download the whole repo and use a text editor to "Search and Replace" for the phrase 'WAS', 'WeAreSatoshi', etc...

A quick note though: be careful about moving forward too fast and not making the proper announcements.  You won't want to be accused of insta-mining the coin.  Do the fork at least a few days in the future and announce it.

GlassGoose - Myriad has multiple coins on different algos.  That is probably the closest thing on the market right now.
glassgoose45

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:00:21 PM

I am glad to hear something positive is coming from all of this!  To change the name within the source code, the easiest thing to do is download the whole repo and use a text editor to "Search and Replace" for the phrase 'WAS', 'WeAreSatoshi', etc...

A quick note though: be careful about moving forward too fast and not making the proper announcements.  You won't want to be accused of insta-mining the coin.  Do the fork at least a few days in the future and announce it.

GlassGoose - Myriad has multiple coins on different algos.  That is probably the closest thing on the market right now.

Thanks!
MrData

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 02:19:06 PM

Question for you sir, with making this change, how does one go about removing the coin swap message from the wallet?

If you set a new alert key it won't accept that alert message anymore.

merval

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:06:15 PM

OK I'll see if I can figure out what to do.  I've never had to manually do that stuff before.  But I think I can figure it out, or Google can for me.

I like WAN, but if we are not using the Satoshi name then I say let's do a complete reversal, and make it IAmNakamoto  Or NakamotosAreUs

Post a link to the new thread in here and we will continue v1 specific discussion there, so we aren't bothering anyone here.  I definitely like the idea of plugging their thread, since both of these coins share the same origin.

General question, are there any other coins with both a v1 and v2? Either explicit in the name or not?

Here is a thread we can discuss which way to proceed. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=770778

I started the thread the other day after messaging MrBrew. I'll be at work most of the day but I should be around.

- Merval
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: