Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:11:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which scenario most likely to happen?
BitCoin currency increases in value while other alternative currencies decrease in value - 0 (0%)
BitCoin currency is overtaken by another currency. - 0 (0%)
BitCoin currency shares space with a range of alternative currencies - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Long term viability of BitCoins versus other Alternative Coins...  (Read 1419 times)
tmason (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:51:48 PM

Hello,

I am hoping these sets of questions don't start a prolonged debate but rather a constructive discussion with insight from people who have been following the BitCoin/alt. coin space for a while now.

Since BitCoin has been holding steady and is gaining more acceptance every day I believe at least for now the idea of an alternative currency within traditional markets are here to stay.

However, I want to lay out some scenarios and see how other people feel about them:

• Scenario One (1): BitCoin currency increases in value while other alternative currencies decrease in value
    • In this scenario I am envisioning the following:
    • BitCoin increases in widespread acceptance/usage while other alternative coins are “pushed to the wayside” for lack of a better term. Because of this, mining in the alternative space becomes a waste of time as only the higher end miners and BitCoin currency traders make money.
  • Scenario Two (2): BitCoin currency is overtaken by another currency.
    • Another alternative or set of alternative currencies proves to be a “better” crypto currency due to a wide range of factors, whether it may be a better algorithm or the incorporation of other much needed features, etc.
  • Scenario Three (3): BitCoin currency shares space with a range of alternative currencies
    • BitCoin becomes “gold” and other crypto-currencies become like the other rare metals. For example, LiteCoin as it stands now becomes the crypto-currency silver, etc. etc.
    • Also of note that within this scenario relative trading from BitCoin to these alternative currencies remain where they are now.

Now, here is what I am wondering:

• Which is the most likely scenario above?
  • Investors I have interacted with seem to think #1 is most likely to happen. Does anyone see why?

Thank you for your time.

Looking forward to an interesting discussion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: