Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:42:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Argentina default, why didn't bitcoin go up more?  (Read 1532 times)
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:57:08 PM

Cyprus had nothing to do with the rally, sadly certain news sources are desperate to connect dots without supporting their arguments (or more like clickbaits) with proof.
And your source is...?

Can you show me a frequented cypriot bitcoin forum?
What does it have to do with that?

I'm in Eurozone and when Cyprus crysis hit, I bought some more BTCs, since it was a threat for the EUR in general.

There have to be thriving online communities if bitcoin is popular in the country. Not to mention the flood of cypriots on every forum asking questions (which also didn't happen).

I stand by my opinion that the cypress bailout had nothing to do with the bitcoin rally.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FutureMoneyTrends (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 08:30:35 PM

It's easy to get money out of Cyprus but not Argentina where there are strict currency trading regs. Cypriots could buy Bitcons no problem. You could set up a fake online store and sell Bitcoins to Argentinians for Rapipaygo money transfers or some other method possibly but they'd prob shut it down as soon as the gov found out about it.

Geez, people need to get the hell out of there

Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:41:11 AM

There have to be thriving online communities if bitcoin is popular in the country.
I already explained you that it doesn't have to be "popular in the country", in order to trigger an effect.
People from other countries may decide to buy.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
deepestfear

Activity: 291

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:23:18 AM

guess it's still not easy for locals to actually buy bitcoins

wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:15:39 PM

It's easy to get money out of Cyprus but not Argentina where there are strict currency trading regs. Cypriots could buy Bitcons no problem. You could set up a fake online store and sell Bitcoins to Argentinians for Rapipaygo money transfers or some other method possibly but they'd prob shut it down as soon as the gov found out about it.
When deposit holders in Cyprus had to take a small haircut there were restrictions that prevented people from taking their money out of Cyprus via the banking system. There was also fear that the problems with the banks in Cyprus would spread throughout Europe.

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:09:55 AM

Most of the BTC trade in Argentina is done on the "black market" and the BTC/peso exchange rate is showing a very large premium over other markets. I think this shows that a lot of people in Argentina are buying BTC.
bigtimespaghetti
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

bigtimespaghetti.com

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

Most of the BTC trade in Argentina is done on the "black market" and the BTC/peso exchange rate is showing a very large premium over other markets. I think this shows that a lot of people in Argentina are buying BTC.

This is what I've heard in one or two interviews with bitcoiners in Argentina.

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
       ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
    █▓░   ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
Physical Coin Making Guide Book and eBook- Make your own physical crypto coins and wallets!
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
    ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
  █▓░     ░░▒▓█
█▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
        ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     █▓░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:27:40 PM

I don't know if the BTC that being dumped by the US State departement, is a cause, but the price didn't budge for a couple of months now, for no apparent reason and despite a succession of good news such as the adoption of BTC by wikipedia, or Dell ....ect so Argentina defaulting (which is actually still up to question) didn't have the same effect as Cyprus
leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:38:36 PM

Citizen of Argentina can not buy bitcoin from exchanges if the currency is blocked from sending money out.

gmx95

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:02:12 PM

I also would like to understand why bitcoin did not jump on the default news? This probably means that bitcoin is still detached from the world economy and depends more on trolls pumping and dumping it.

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://novafxtrading.com/bitcoin-trading
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:04:34 PM

Just last week Argentina defaulted on their debt. The United States also has an unsustainable amount of debt.

Back when Cyprus issues happened there was a big bitcoin rally; why not this time?

Argentina default:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWocplJDdyk

it's prove to us that the argentina can change it's economy with acceptable currency like bitcoin

the cyprus doesn't getting ready for the revolution of economy

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:54:26 PM

This is what I've heard in one or two interviews with bitcoiners in Argentina.
I don't think the Argentina economy is large enough to make the same kind of impact that cyprus made.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: