Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:55:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am not a speculator. This is why I keep most of my monthly savings in bitcoin.  (Read 1268 times)
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

I know my BTC is worth something. If a thousand people who grew up under authoritarianism think like me, then BTC is worth billions. This is not considering BTC as a medium of exchange, as an investment in a portfolio.

BTC is worth something as long as someone willing to give it a value. The illusion of value may not always be there. Fiat, on the other hand, will always be accepted by the country.

This has the disadvantage that the country controls the fiat's value, and this rarely goes in the advantage of the users.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:38:28 PM

I know my BTC is worth something. If a thousand people who grew up under authoritarianism think like me, then BTC is worth billions. This is not considering BTC as a medium of exchange, as an investment in a portfolio.

BTC is worth something as long as someone willing to give it a value. The illusion of value may not always be there. Fiat, on the other hand, will always be accepted by the country.

This has the disadvantage that the country controls the fiat's value, and this rarely goes in the advantage of the users.

Also disadivantage that inflation is a fact with fiat. No place without price inflation that I know.
And outside your country your money may not be accepted, while bitcoin is global.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:02:16 PM

as the Zurich's axioms book says: all investing is speculation

You speculation is that your bitcoins are worth something, and may even reach billions/each(what is impossible if you do the math, but I got the point), and in 15 years they will be worth much more than they are worth now(in special, more than 0, so bitcoin will survive 15 years)

Yeah, true. I think the thread title is a very interesting and daring assumption, but I guess he knows very well that Bitcoin remains the more volatile currency, compared to effectively every FIAT currency in existence (even those which are at risk of hyperinflation). But it is a very interesting stance!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:01:19 AM

Bitcoin is very speculative. If you are "investing" in bitcoin then you are speculating.
RobertDJ

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:58:24 AM

You speculation is that your bitcoins are worth something, and may even reach billions/each(what is impossible if you do the math, but I got the point), and in 15 years they will be worth much more than they are worth now(in special, more than 0, so bitcoin will survive 15 years)

Yeah, true. I think the thread title is a very interesting and daring assumption, but I guess he knows very well that Bitcoin remains the more volatile currency, compared to effectively every FIAT currency in existence (even those which are at risk of hyperinflation). But it is a very interesting stance!
The OP does likely not understand the risks of holding bitcoin. As of now bitcoin is much more inflationary then Dollars are due to block subsidies.
rackcityb1

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:59:44 AM

The OP does likely not understand the risks of holding bitcoin. As of now bitcoin is much more inflationary then Dollars are due to block subsidies.
+1 on this.
However the only reason that bitcoin is not experiencing inflation is due to the fact that so many people want to buy bitcoin that it's current price can be supported.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:58:19 AM

Gox caused a huge drop in your saving's value, PBOC caused a bigger one, and there are many others that can do worse.

Yes, you are taking more risk than most speculators only by holding all your savings in bitcoins

RedhatCAT

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:29:28 AM

Gox caused a huge drop in your saving's value, PBOC caused a bigger one, and there are many others that can do worse.

Yes, you are taking more risk than most speculators only by holding all your savings in bitcoins
This is true. There are a lot of both known and unknown risks to holding bitcoin. There is no guarantee that the price will rise over time.
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:24:55 PM

Yeah, and it will be so until 2020's block halving. In the meantime, I believe inflation is too high to make sustainable a price above 1000$.

That Bitcoin is deflatory is a lie that too many people believe.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:47:43 PM

And this is assuming you take all security precautions.
If you discover at a later point that your private key had been compromised earlier, it could be disastrous.
dudexer

Activity: 213
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 03:21:44 PM

BTC is great crypto to rely on most stable one. If everybody do what you do it will really rise.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: