Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:06:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do they manage so many addresses?  (Read 1774 times)
The Ferox (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:31:19 PM

I have a quick question that i am sure someone has an answer to that will make it all make sense for me.

I recently was able to get re-imported a bunch of old addresses that are still receiving payments from faucets and old affiliate programs, but since the import my client is running at the speed of molasses in January. I know this is not a computer hardware problem because my server is only 2 months old and has 6 top of the line intel CPU's with haswell cores and 128 gig of ECC ram. Way more raw computing power than a person should ever need for pretty much anything.

I have tried, erasing the client and re-installing it, i have the bitcoin client set to the highest priority on 12 cores, i have had a data center engineer friend of my check everything on the hardware config. i have ran through everything on the software side of things, and the speed issue does not make sense. Almost an hour to load the client and half a day to scan the blockchain when i import a new address.

What i would like to know is how businesses like localbitcoins.com blockchain.info, satoshidice and others can manage tens of millions of addresses before they start having "bloated" wallet issues?

Is there a better client for this than using bitcoin QT and bitcoind directly?
Is there some sort of setting i am overlooking?
What am i missing?

<?php
if (BTC questions > dumb stuff a noob should know)
  echo "Yeah i know, i'm new to this stuff";
?>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
espringe

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:41:23 PM

I can't speak for other sites, but for example https://www.moneypot.com/ is currently monitoring a few million addresses. The approach is rather simple. In my case, I pre-generated all the addresses (using bip32, but it's irrelevant). Next, I store all those addresses in a hashmap,  which effectively allow constant time lookup by address.

Next, I listen on the bitcoin network and the blockchain -- when ever I see a new transaction -- I look at all the outputs and see if it corresponds to one of the them in the hashmap to see if it's in there. If it is, it records the details in a database that has an index on the address column. Actually, using an approach like this would easily allow me to monitor *every* address in the blockchain. Really, the only slow part of my scheme was just generating the initial address set
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:56:04 PM

I can't speak for other sites, but for example https://www.moneypot.com/ is currently monitoring a few million addresses. The approach is rather simple. In my case, I pre-generated all the addresses (using bip32, but it's irrelevant). Next, I store all those addresses in a hashmap,  which effectively allow constant time lookup by address.

Next, I listen on the bitcoin network and the blockchain -- when ever I see a new transaction -- I look at all the outputs and see if it corresponds to one of the them in the hashmap to see if it's in there. If it is, it records the details in a database that has an index on the address column. Actually, using an approach like this would easily allow me to monitor *every* address in the blockchain. Really, the only slow part of my scheme was just generating the initial address set

Hey, thanks for that info, how would someone come across something similar without having to spend an crap ton of time coding something like that. You solution seems logical and practical. But time for software development is not something i really have, nor funds to do something of that nature as i am sure to have someone code something like that would be a few hundred dollars a minimum.

Really, the way you do it would be perfect in my case as i do not need to sign or send transactions or anything really other than be able to pull the balance on a bunch of addresses. I have a master list in .txt of the addresses by themselves that i need to monitor. Any ideas on quick solutions or short cuts?
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 11:21:29 AM

Obviously this approach only works if you know all your addresses in advance. If you had to import a new, unfamiliar address you still have the same problem Smiley

Cheers, Paul.
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:21:15 PM

Never worked with hashmaps before, does anyone have any good resources. i  cannot seem to find a platform to manipulate to make something similar so it appears i am going to have to go at it alone and from the ground up.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 03:29:34 AM

Never worked with hashmaps before, does anyone have any good resources. i  cannot seem to find a platform to manipulate to make something similar so it appears i am going to have to go at it alone and from the ground up.
In Java:

1) Call the constructor for a hash map object
2) Use it

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:06:45 AM

Like BurtW said, write a Java program (using bitcoinj to listen for txns), and look into javadocs such as java.util.HashMap for more info.
espringe

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:20:34 PM

Never worked with hashmaps before, does anyone have any good resources. i  cannot seem to find a platform to manipulate to make something similar so it appears i am going to have to go at it alone and from the ground up.

The "hash" part is an implementation detail. It might be a "map" (e.g. C++), a "hashmap" (e.g. Java), a "dict" (e.g. Python) or an "object" (e.g. Javascript).  Basically anything that gives O(log n) lookup or better will be fine
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:25:13 PM

The JavaDoc on Oracle should give enough examples on how to use a HashMap.
And trust me, it's ridiculously simple that's why no one is answering you.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
rarkenin

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:17:43 PM

I could write up a Java-based program that does what you need. PM me if interested, with more specific details.
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:32:23 AM

I could write up a Java-based program that does what you need. PM me if interested, with more specific details.

What kind of price are you talking?
rarkenin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:42:19 AM

If I can be flexible with a timeframe (a month or two, as I'm a student with a rough schedule) then as little as 0.1 to 0.2 BTC. Please PM me with specific details.
kerimk2

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

ACCOUNT BANNED. Email in sig!!

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:43:54 AM

I don't think they store the addresses in a wallet, they just bulk generate maybe using a php script or something, and insert into a mysql database, so that the owner can search by address name. Also you could make a script to check all of the addresses in the mysql database, to check for any new transactions.

If you need support for AutoPonzi contact: autoponzi@gmail.com
We aren't sure how long the ban is for. We aren't even sure why we are banned. But we'll try figure it out
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: