Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:28:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why people price things in fiat but want BTC - choose one or the other  (Read 4843 times)
StatusSeeking

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:38:03 AM

You don't understand. Bitcoin isn't strictly a currency, it's also a payment system ...and much more.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:58:32 AM

Most people don't have a sense of value when things are priced in bitcoin. In order to show a shop is cheaper, they need to quote in fiat so consumers can compare prices without conversion.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:41:36 PM

Most people don't have a sense of value when things are priced in bitcoin. In order to show a shop is cheaper, they need to quote in fiat so consumers can compare prices without conversion.

I think most people who are involved in Bitcoin can tell the price difference between bitcoin and fiat?  I know I can it isn't that hard...
R2D221

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:13:41 PM

I think most people who are involved in Bitcoin can tell the price difference between bitcoin and fiat?  I know I can it isn't that hard...
I check the price once a month. If the price changes everyday, then I'm almost always behind.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
MightyBTC

Activity: 87

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:13:48 PM

This is no one or the other matter,People are being speculative here regarding bitcoin considering it as a currency.The real thing to understand is that bitcoin would never replace fiats.
R2D221

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:57:50 PM

The real thing to understand is that bitcoin would never replace fiats.

Why? There is a possibility, albeit a small one.

klovishey

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Selling Coupons Babie

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 11:12:28 PM

It is like when you visit country with different currency, you need to make conversion to something your very familiar with. And with your local currency you have all life experience, so it is natural to convert to the one your most familiar with.

Maybe if the kids start using Bitcoins much more often than local currency, they will start converting local currency to Bitcoin to get better idea how much it really cost.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 11:14:20 PM

I tend to do the same thing when traveling in a foreign country. So when the local food stall ask me 20 shillings for a kg. of spinach, I quickly convert in my head to $0.25. I believe in the concept of Bitcoin, but I can't think in bitcoin prices yet.
Moneyunmaker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 11:47:15 PM

People cant still think in btc terms.
PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:18:09 AM

I've seen loads of topics of people trying to sell things and saying I want x amount of dollars worth of BTC. Surely if someone is so keen on the idea of Bitcoin fiat shouldn't even be mentioned.

Because BTC is a volatile currency, but US dollars aren't.

NotAtOld

Activity: 200

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:04:58 AM

I've seen loads of topics of people trying to sell things and saying I want x amount of dollars worth of BTC. Surely if someone is so keen on the idea of Bitcoin fiat shouldn't even be mentioned.

LOL. Right. How much value has the US dollar lost in the last 100 years? The USD is only seemingly stable because of the establishments in place to keep order and keep stacking the house of cards. BTC has been volatile in the past, but for the most part we enjoy great stability now. Depending when you bought in, you're still several hundred percent up.
Going back to OP though, the price isn't that important. The thing is that just like gold, providing a specific amount of weight doesn't tell you much. But comparing it to a currency gives a user a more "local" impression of the value.
In the future that could change, but we will see.
Dawnbreaker

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:48:23 AM

“But,” the whiners protest, “Bitcoin can’t be used as a unit of account! How can it be a currency when you can’t use it to distinguish a profit from a loss?”

To put this argument in context, let us review the three traditional functions of money. Money is often simultaneously a store of value, medium of exchange, and unit of account. The argument goes that if a good is not useful as a unit of account then it is not money. However, the only necessary relation between these three functions is that a medium of exchange must also be a store of value. A thing can serve as a store of value without being a medium of exchange or a unit of account, and a thing can be a unit of account without being either of the other two. Konrad Graf has written an article developing this point."

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/i-love-bitcoins-volatility/
Bizzaran

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:17:06 AM

fiat exist, so it must be mentioned until it is globally replaced. and anyone invested i hope knows the risk and is prepared for any change being a loss, gain, or stagnant market.
Drendas

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:48:54 AM

Oh, c'mon! Are you stupid?
TimeWatch

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:59:10 AM

People are more comfortable in buying things with real currency than BTC , and they think BTC as a sort of investment, maybe that's why.

Hope I am clear.
R2D221

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 11:52:34 AM

People are more comfortable in buying things with real currency than BTC , and they think BTC as a sort of investment, maybe that's why.

Hope I am clear.

So, the problem is that people think Bitcoin is not a real currency.

wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:17:33 PM

LOL. Right. How much value has the US dollar lost in the last 100 years? The USD is only seemingly stable because of the establishments in place to keep order and keep stacking the house of cards. BTC has been volatile in the past, but for the most part we enjoy great stability now. Depending when you bought in, you're still several hundred percent up.
Going back to OP though, the price isn't that important. The thing is that just like gold, providing a specific amount of weight doesn't tell you much. But comparing it to a currency gives a user a more "local" impression of the value.
In the future that could change, but we will see.
Most people do not keep cash fiat in this fashion for 100 years. They have no reason to.

Someone that has put their fiat USD into an investment that is "designed" to be kept there for a long time (eg stocks, long term bonds) then would have done very well over this 100 years, even after accounting for inflation.

knifeedge

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:19:58 PM

I think it will one day shift into pricing directly in BTC, but not until we reach mass adoption. For now, the bitcoin economy is still in the kindling phase... not yet the blazing fire economy. For now, people relate better to USD or their base currency when trying to adopt BTC I think.
AaronCraig

Activity: 26

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:17:34 PM

LOL. Right. How much value has the US dollar lost in the last 100 years?

'Volatile' means changing suddenly and unpredictably. A slow, steady decline of 3%-ish a year is not volatile no matter how much you want it to be.

BTC has been volatile in the past, but for the most part we enjoy great stability now.

You know, except for that 20% drop we had a week or two ago.

I really don't understand what any of this means.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 08:43:13 AM

They should be prepared in certain instances to take a fiat loss for their beliefs.

What about the other way around? What if the T-shirt business applied your logic when bitcoin was $10 worth, if they fixed the price of single t-shirt+delivery at BTC2 ($20 at that time) how many do you think they'd be selling now?

If you're running a business, you have to adjust the price to BTC/USD rates to make sure all the expenses are covered (payable mostly in fiat).

If you're individual (ebay-like) seller, who doesn't sell for a living (just getting rid of unwanted goods) - you can fix the price in BTC, take the loss if price goes down, but if the BTC price goes up, you still have to be prepared to lower that fixed price (to remain competitive).

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀