Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:30:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making your investment grow in a bitcoin economy  (Read 5644 times)
btc_enigma (OP)

Activity: 688
Merit: 567

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:22:33 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2014, 07:52:23 PM by btc_enigma

Hi,

I saw this article http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/the-correct-strategy-of-bitcoin-entrepreneurship/ . So I was thinking what is the correct way for me invest my money in a bitcoin economy so that it grows exponentially.

So suppose I have 10,000$ , so what are my options:

1. Buy bitcoins worth 10, 000$ and wait for bitcoin to explode , this seems like a safe bet and is most likely to happen
2.  Invest in a bitcoin startup that earns and stores  in bitcoin and not in dollars  : This way the startup itself may accelerate like 5 times over the next two years and multiply that with the growth of bitcoin and we have a compound effect. I think bitpay or other payment gateway would be an example of this. But the concern is these gateway lose their coins and someday the owner could just transfer all bitcoins to his address and vanish. So tracking the company revenue maybe difficult.
3. Bitcoin mining contract: You expect to increase your btc using this , but I guess If this really increased your btc, mining company would never offer a contact in the first place. Instead it would just spend the btc buying and investing in more mining equipment. Good analysis here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671304.0

Any other ways I can do better? (I am not talking abt gambling btc Cheesy) !

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 07:30:56 PM

Watch out for scam if you want to invest in start up companies. Check out the market security sub-forum and see how many of the so called start up end up going bust either due to scam, incompetent or government regulation.

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:01:07 PM

Well I'd just like to suggest trading a small percentage of your Bitcoin on the daily swings of the market in hopes to get more Bitcoins.  Can be risky and you said you weren't into gambling so I guess that could be a matter of your opinion on trading.  Their are services for those looking to trade that claim to profitable.  Investing in start ups is another good option if you have the money and can find something worthwhile.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:16:55 PM

Hi,

I saw this article http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/the-correct-strategy-of-bitcoin-entrepreneurship/ . So I was thinking what is the correct way for me invest my money in a bitcoin economy so that it grows exponentially.

1. Buy bitcoins worth 10, 000$ and wait for bitcoin to explode , this seems like a safe bet and is most likely to happen
2.  Invest in a bitcoin startup that earns and stores  in bitcoin and not in dollars  : This way the startup itself may accelerate like 5 times over the next two years and multiply that with the growth of bitcoin and we have a compound effect. I think bitpay or other payment gateway would be an example of this. But the concern is these gateway lose their coins and someday the owner could just transfer all bitcoins to his address and vanish. So tracking the company revenue maybe difficult.
3. Bitcoin mining contract: You expect to increase your btc using this , but I guess If this really increased your btc, mining company would never offer a contact in the first place. Instead it would just spend the btc buying and investing in more mining equipment. Good analysis here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671304.0

#1 is your best bet.

#2 would be a great option if you had something more to the tune of $1,000,000 to invest. These startups are all private companies as of now and hold seed rounds only for accredited investors. The space is too new.

Well I'd just like to suggest trading a small percentage of your Bitcoin on the daily swings of the market in hopes to get more Bitcoins.  Can be risky and you said you weren't into gambling so I guess that could be a matter of your opinion on trading.  Their are services for those looking to trade that claim to profitable.  Investing in start ups is another good option if you have the money and can find something worthwhile.

In traditional markets, 90% of day traders lose, while the number with crypto currency is probably slightly lower. It is a zero sum game. The majority of people fail because they don't understand the complexity and might of what they are up against (i.e. high frequency trading).

Swing trading can be profitable for those who are excellent with risk management, unemotional with the money they are risking, and have an above average understanding of what they are doing.

Best bet is to go with a long term investment.
tooil

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:23:10 PM

Speculator right now having an unrealistic view of the market.

If you buy bitcoin at $590, how much further do you think it will go up?
btc_enigma (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:25:46 PM

After an year should be in the range 2k+

fiddelingones

Activity: 127

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:37:45 PM

Not as much potential as pump and dump altcoins, but Bitcoin is a lot safer bet.

wenben

Activity: 164

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:51:23 PM

You know that for sure because?

Are you putting all your money into bitcoin?
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:55:14 PM

Dollar averaging seems like the solution, spend 100 dollars monthly and get the best of both worlds. Imo 10K is too risky now, it could go both ways.

Bitcopia

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:55:42 AM

No one knows. My guess: another order of magnitude.

Unrealistic view of the market? I'm sure there are worst times to buy than at the onset of rapidly increasing merchant adoption, acceptance from U.S., British, and European regulators, and most importantly before the launch of the first ETF's and investment funds.

Or maybe it's a bad idea to invest in an asset that most laymen view as complex and difficult to obtain and secure shortly before easily accessible investment vehicles are made available to the masses.  Roll Eyes
Bitcopia

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:56:46 AM

You know that for sure because?

Are you putting all your money into bitcoin?

Every dime that I don't need.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:43:00 AM

Invest what you can afford to lose! you should base your risk tolerance level to invest. The more return, the more risk! Your first one is safest one than the other two. The second follows. I don't recommend the third one. Nowtime it is nearly impossible to cover the expense from mining contracts. Return? Impossible!
Mybitcoinz

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:18:39 AM

Investing bitcoins is too risky, I prefer to have them in a secure cold storage and watch at the price monthly.

Buo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:09:14 AM

I know that isn't a safe way to increase my holdings, but I like gambling sometimes to try to grow my bitcoins.

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:34:18 AM

Another option:

Make by your own a service that earns and stores in bitcoins, instead of gambling try to find a non-scam Bitcoin start-up. Or work as employer to some bitcoin business.

btc_enigma (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:41:20 AM

mm interesting...

Watch out for scam if you want to invest in start up companies. Check out the market security sub-forum and see how many of the so called start up end up going bust either due to scam, incompetent or government regulation.

Right !
Creating a ponzi schema or a pump and dump coin is sounding attractive to me !!

DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 03:27:46 AM

i think if we want to invest in mining bitcoin, it's too risk now because the value of bitcoin tend increasing smoothly
we can invest if the price of bitcoin tend decreasing
thanks ...

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 03:29:15 AM

Honestly, if you believe in bitcoin invest in bitcoin. Why bother with these start up companies to make a quick buck when there is so much risk. If you do decide to invest, just do your research (as always when investing).
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 04:28:04 AM

Honestly, if you believe in bitcoin invest in bitcoin. Why bother with these start up companies to make a quick buck when there is so much risk. If you do decide to invest, just do your research (as always when investing).

I think the play is in bitcoin adoption, and not necessarily bitcoin price.
Bitcoin adoption could outpace bitcoin price increases, in which case investing in these companies will be better.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:04:00 AM

The start-ups are less risky because they can easily change from bitcoin to another altcoin that (could) becomes more successful then bitcoin. The start-ups are merely betting that crypto currencies in general will be widely used. I don't personally think an alt will ever overcome bitcoin, but if this were to happen the start-ups could still profit.
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:31:48 AM

The start-ups are less risky because they can easily change from bitcoin to another altcoin that (could) becomes more successful then bitcoin. The start-ups are merely betting that crypto currencies in general will be widely used. I don't personally think an alt will ever overcome bitcoin, but if this were to happen the start-ups could still profit.

which is one reason why venture capitalists are pouring their money into bitcoin-related start ups.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:53:05 AM

The most profitable position in any economy is control of the cost of money.  The closest you can come in the bitcoin economy without a semi fab is owning bitcoin.  As long as a venture involves exposure to fiat the likelihood of outperforming bitcoin is vanishing rapidly with that exposure.  The only position I know of which is likely to outperform 100% bitcoin holdings during a bubble is leveraged holdings.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
tooil

Activity: 181

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:45:59 AM

The most profitable position in any economy is control of the cost of money.  The closest you can come in the bitcoin economy without a semi fab is owning bitcoin.  As long as a venture involves exposure to fiat the likelihood of outperforming bitcoin is vanishing rapidly with that exposure.  The only position I know of which is likely to outperform 100% bitcoin holdings during a bubble is leveraged holdings.

You should also mention that is the riskiest way to invest.

For business, there is turn over and profit. Owning coin without profit is just gambling.
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:22:41 AM

For business, there is turn over and profit. Owning coin without profit is just gambling.

By owning bitcoin, you have a stake in the overall bitcoin economy.  Smiley
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:39:20 AM

which is one reason why venture capitalists are pouring their money into bitcoin-related start ups.
I think this is true to a point. I think that VC does believe that BTC will be successful over the long term, but is hedging their bet (with little/no added cost) that another crypto coin is successful. 
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:22:25 PM

mm interesting...

Right !
you will be a scammer! still risky for you! If no one is interested at the coin, you will be dead!
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:39:00 PM

mm interesting...

Right !
you will be a scammer! still risky for you! If no one is interested at the coin, you will be dead!

Not really. In a ponzi scheme, the scammer doesn't have much to lose. The people who invest at the peak - they are the ones left holding the bag.
Fray

Activity: 209

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:19:25 AM

By owning bitcoin, you have a stake in the overall bitcoin economy.  Smiley
You need to do more then just hold bitcoin to hold a sake in the bitcon related economy and grow your bitcoin. In order to grow your bitcoin you must likely need to engage in some amount of trades. The best way to do this is to post offers to both buy and sell items that are at prices that are in your favor; people who want to buy or sell what you are dealing in will take your offer and you will make money and participate in the bitcoin related economy.
efreeti

Activity: 350
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:24:57 AM

Invest in diceco.in bank roll.

Remember all investments have risk.
RD965

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 10:51:18 AM

Please differenciate gambling from investment, even in this world it is hard  Grin
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2014, 08:34:32 AM

Hi,

interesting question, what makes you think that an explosion in prices is "most likely to happen?"

ravix5

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:54:46 AM

Maybe buying some low cost coins is better bcs BTC is not only one crypto and maybe some other coins are more profitable in future,But i dont know which one maybe LTC or DRK.I dont know but maybe maybe look at long invest time in scale min 1 year.
RD965

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:13:26 AM

Stay on this point of view, it is really the best way, specially if you are looking to learn something new...

So start from the beggining  Smiley
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:18:58 AM

Hi,

#1 is your best bet.

#2 would be a great option if you had something more to the tune of $1,000,000 to invest. These startups are all private companies as of now and hold seed rounds only for accredited investors. The space is too new.

In traditional markets, 90% of day traders lose, while the number with crypto currency is probably slightly lower. It is a zero sum game. The majority of people fail because they don't understand the complexity and might of what they are up against (i.e. high frequency trading).

Swing trading can be profitable for those who are excellent with risk management, unemotional with the money they are risking, and have an above average understanding of what they are doing.

Best bet is to go with a long term investment.

Indeed. Invest it in BTC and wait a few years.
orsotheysaid

Activity: 153

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 03:48:44 PM

Please differenciate gambling from investment, even in this world it is hard  Grin
Every investment is a gamble. You are just wishing the outcome is positive when you dont know what will happen, so there. Specially in the crypto world, which is brand new.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 04:05:15 PM

If you are willing to take the risk you could select some of the exchangers that allow you to leverage your position up to ten times or more. It's sort of like option one but this one goes another step further. I was tempting to try initially but anyway i didn't cause i rather go slow but safe.

RD965

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 05:08:24 PM

Every investment is a gamble. You are just wishing the outcome is positive when you dont know what will happen, so there. Specially in the crypto world, which is brand new.

He means the correlation between risk and reward is always proportional and exponential, so the more risk, the more possible reward  Grin
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 12:52:55 AM

If you are willing to take the risk you could select some of the exchangers that allow you to leverage your position up to ten times or more. It's sort of like option one but this one goes another step further. I was tempting to try initially but anyway i didn't cause i rather go slow but safe.

In such a volatile asset like bitcoin, I don't think leveraging is really necessary. People can make substantial profits by just trading the underlying.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: