Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:57:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Bitcoin Instances / Identities  (Read 1524 times)
mintymark (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 09:52:38 AM

Perhaps this has been discussed before, not sure where.

I'd like to accept bit coins for the work I do. I work through my own company. Therefore it would be wrong to accept payment into my private wallet, it has to be kept separate, the company is a separate  entity to me. But I use the same computer, and in fact even when I am doing "company stuff" my private bitcoin client is usually running.

What I feel I ought to be able to do is have more than one identity within the one client. So separate balances, separate transaction lists, seperate bitcoin addresses, like separate bank accounts, and I can initiate payments from any account or between them, if I choose. Also seperate mining interfaces. Its quite possible that my company owns one GPU and I own another after all.

I did try a few experiments at getting a second instance running under a different linux user, but this doesnt really address it, although it is close. It seems a bit lame that bitcoin does not seem to play good with multiple instances running, the great advantage lets face it of a modern OS like Linux or Windows over, say MSDOS, is that you can if you like have multiple instances of things running, perhaps differently configured. This is something that should just work.

That aside though, really, it ought to be possible to have multiple identities within a single gui or daemon client, and there ought to be a creat a new identity button for this. There should be no need to re-download the blockchain, or set up another port for communication, that ought to all be common.

There are many other reasons why someone might want multiple identities, and at the moment this is easy to do on another computer. It ought to be doable within the client too.

So this is a feature request,  not quite sure where to put it. Thoughts?

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 10:58:16 AM

As far as I know, the ability to have multiple wallets has been a long-requested feature. I think I heard that the way the original client is coded makes the implementation of that feature quite difficult. Not sure though.

Bitdollar is a third-party client which allows the use of multiple wallets, though the wallet format it uses is different from the one the original client uses so you won't be able to import your wallet.dat file or export your Bitdollar wallet for use in the original client. I've downloaded it and taken a look at it. No viruses and my wallet.dat file is still intact. Haven't tried using it for large amounts though, so I can't personally vouch for its long-term trustworthiness.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: