Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: deflation good or bad for the majotity of people
Good for the majority - 16 (88.9%)
Bad for the majority - 2 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin deflationary? If yes..Good or Bad?  (Read 4080 times)
qwerty555 (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:58:49 AM

First: let clear if you talking about monetary or price inflation:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140793.0

Bitcoin by itself is not deflationary in any sense. Now there are around 3600 new coins mined every day, so Bitcoin no has monetary inflation, and so it will be until 2140 or so.

Also Bitcoin has no price deflation, because the price can go down too, like happened this year and years before.

Bitcoin only prevents EXCESSIVE and ARBITRARY monetary inflation, and nothing more.

For me it is good, because we need something to counter the all might central banks and they stupid decisions that I have no control over, and most of the times don't benefit me.

It is price deflation that I refer to.

This was posted in Feb 2013 when bitcoin was approx $25 / coin...how much price deflation has occurred since then ? Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140793.0

.Price-Deflation is what you are used to hearing about in Bitcoin. That term is used to describe the prices of goods/services as they decrease, because the value of Bitcoin goes up.

Price-Inflation is the opposite. When prices of goods/services increase because the value of Bitcoin goes down.

So, when dealing with Price-Inflation or Deflation, there is an inverse relationship of price and value, in regard to goods/services and Bitcoin.

Example: As the Bitcoin price goes from $10 to $20, the prices of goods/services goes down from 20BTC to 10BTC. As the Bitcoin price goes from $20 to $10, the prices of goods/services goes from 10BTC to 20BTC!

However having seen some of the posts....excesses to either will be damaging, although currently deflation for Fiat may be preferred for a while to counter act the awful ( real) inflation figures and particularly food/ utilities inflation this year.. Ultimately a stable price with little or no deflation or inflation is what should be aimed for ..but I would suggest after the current excessive inflation has been off set by some deflation..

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/archive/Documents/historicpubs/qb/1994/qb940201.pdf

Indeed prices have risen more
quickly in the last 50 years than in any similar period since
1694; the index of prices tripled between 1694 and 1948,
but has risen almost 20-fold since.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:05:54 AM

Isn't bitcoin being deflationary one of it's highlights and selling points?

If it wants to be a 'real' or useful currency, being deflationary isn't such a good thing to be. The points mentioned in the initial post describe the disadvantages of deflationary currencies. It's great for people who want to see their investment appreciate in value, but not for people who want to use it in order to buy stuff!
If an economy is based on a deflationary currency then it would be a bad thing as people would have an incentive to not spend money when they need to buy something. This creates a situation when there is negative economic growth. If an economy has a secondary currency that is deflationary then this would not be an issue. 

Control question: Why would anybody offer to sell anything at all in the current inflationary environment, when they can get more by holding the things and selling them next year?

qwerty555 (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:15:03 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2014, 09:32:24 AM by qwerty555

If it wants to be a 'real' or useful currency, being deflationary isn't such a good thing to be. The points mentioned in the initial post describe the disadvantages of deflationary currencies. It's great for people who want to see their investment appreciate in value, but not for people who want to use it in order to buy stuff!
If an economy is based on a deflationary currency then it would be a bad thing as people would have an incentive to not spend money when they need to buy something. This creates a situation when there is negative economic growth. If an economy has a secondary currency that is deflationary then this would not be an issue.  

Control question: Why would anybody offer to sell anything at all in the current inflationary environment, when they can get more by holding the things and selling them next year?

in reality people sell all the time no matter what the environment..depending on their specific circumstances..merchants will sell coin received due to cash flow requirements/ regulatory requirements or they may not yet be bitcoin converted people..

Others may be forced to sell for immediate needs or they are not definitely sure that the market will push ahead in their time frame or they sell in the hope to buy back cheaper on a future dip.

when sellers are in short supply ..that's the time for the next push up.  and this is very pronounced in bitcin due to the relatively very limited supply. This can be inferred from the May 17th  daily volume of only $19M at around $450 / bitcoin and the low volumes leading up to that low before the sudden upswing to $650 by June 6th and a volume of $179 M on May 24th at $550  where lots of sellers were suddenly found after the price rose

http://www.quandl.com/BCHAIN/ETRVU-Bitcoin-Estimated-Transaction-Volume-USD
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:17:15 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2014, 05:59:35 PM by TippingPoint

Deflationary Bitcoin is the alternative to inflationary fiat currency.

Bitcoin deflation inforced by cryptography.  Fiat inflation fueled by politicians seeking votes and continued power.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:51:41 PM

Only time will tell what will happen in the future. I think its is good that bitcoin have tendencies to deflate. Standard currencies can only inflate as far as I can tell and that is not positive at all...
Professor Plums

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:57:27 PM

Only time will tell what will happen in the future. I think its is good that bitcoin have tendencies to deflate. Standard currencies can only inflate as far as I can tell and that is not positive at all...

This is exactly what I was going to say. I think bitcoin will be a good experiment to wheter it is good or bad or not. Interesting to watch for sure.
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:57:21 PM

Because most people don't live off bitcoins mined/bought at 1 dollar ? The farmer can't hold his tomatoes or peaches, either he sells them or they're worth nothing. He can hold grain though, and this has caused famines.

What is needed is neither inflation or deflation, both are bad. But the main problem isn't even there, it's in things like development, growth, way of life, etc. What do we want to achieve, what can the environment sustain, what will happen when all the Asians and Africans will be able to buy a car and an iPhone, etc.

I don't think Bitcoin is much help in this matter.

Most of you seem to be hailing from the US, so I will describe what's happening here in the Eurozone where deflation is upon us, thanks in part to a strong Euro : no economic growth and high unemployment. Good or bad, you decide, but it is what it is.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: