Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:05:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Biblical Prayer - driver version  (Read 672 times)
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:59:43 AM

Given the interest in the topic of prayer, it helps to point out that if prayer is to be answered, it is dependent on object to which prayer is addressed.

I pray to my boss for a raise - he may answer in the positive.  I pray to my co worker for a raise - he may be willing, but it is not in his power to answer such a prayer.

And, with my boss, how I approach him/her when I pray will  make a difference also.  I come in disrespectful, how likely will the boss answer my prayer, compared to coming in respectful?

And prayer is just communication - usually we think of it in terms of a 'deity', but, the object of prayer is not by definition restricted to 'deity'.

So, when one is asking if prayer works, one is really asking if prayer to a 'deity' works.

This thread is looking at what the Bible says about praying.  One thing is clear from the Bible - not all prayers are going to be answered.

To start off, the following devotions give us a good start.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:04:50 PM

From Calvary Grace Mail

http://www.calvaryphx.com/

"The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working" (James 5:16b).

This verse could be translated, "The fervent, hot-hearted prayer of a righteous person is very effective."

Too often our prayers are general and unspecific. We may pray, "Lord, please bless my family," or "Lord, give wisdom to my friend," or maybe "Lord, please bring peace to the world."

Now, there's nothing wrong with praying for these things, but they are very general, and you know they are somewhat half-hearted and lack enthusiasm.

James talks about a prayer that is "fervent" and a heart that is heated in its desire to see a specific answer from God. These prayers are effective and powerful.

Maltbie Babcock was a strong young man who walked away from a potential baseball career to become a preacher and an evangelist. You may know him best by the hymn he wrote, "This Is My Father's World." He once talked about the key to effective prayer: "Our prayers are to mean something to us if they are to mean anything to God."

Today, pray something specific for someone. Pray with enthusiasm, expecting God to answer and see what He does.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:08:59 PM

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9 “This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
    but deliver us from the evil one.

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

noviapriani

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:12:27 PM

From Calvary Grace Mail

"The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working" (James 5:16b).

This verse could be translated, "The fervent, hot-hearted prayer of a righteous person is very effective."

Too often our prayers are general and unspecific. We may pray, "Lord, please bless my family," or "Lord, give wisdom to my friend," or maybe "Lord, please bring peace to the world."

Now, there's nothing wrong with praying for these things, but they are very general, and you know they are somewhat half-hearted and lack enthusiasm.

James talks about a prayer that is "fervent" and a heart that is heated in its desire to see a specific answer from God. These prayers are effective and powerful.

Maltbie Babcock was a strong young man who walked away from a potential baseball career to become a preacher and an evangelist. You may know him best by the hymn he wrote, "This Is My Father's World." He once talked about the key to effective prayer: "Our prayers are to mean something to us if they are to mean anything to God."

Today, pray something specific for someone. Pray with enthusiasm, expecting God to answer and see what He does.
Jesus CLEARLY equate Faith + ACTION= Forgiveness.

Paul never heard of "The Lord's Prayer", and would have never taught it because Paul's "faith" never required actions/deeds.

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 01:07:06 PM

From Calvary Grace Mail

Jesus CLEARLY equate Faith + ACTION= Forgiveness.

Paul never heard of "The Lord's Prayer", and would have never taught it because Paul's "faith" never required actions/deeds.

Now, we do have Jesus saying this (John 5:24):

Jesus: Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

How do you reconcile that?  Jesus says nothing there about works earning eternal life.  Agree?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:42:19 AM

The only new thing about prayer ever invented by man is making more and more excuses for why prayers are not answered,not in our days.

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:46:59 AM

The only new thing about prayer ever invented by man is making more and more excuses for why prayers are not answered,not in our days.
You mean not answered by God - people pray to other folk all the time, and get those prayers answered - including yourself.  Granted, not all the time, but, we all have.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: