Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:59:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [TDI] The Decentralised Internet DAC (BDNS essentially)  (Read 1072 times)
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 09:22:00 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 09:44:15 PM by FandangledGizmo

This is essentially BitShares DNS https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519083.0 with a few key marketing changes. I think the BDNS DAC as is, is great and a definite buy - you can get your stake now by buying PTS https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=732434.msg8286880#msg8286880

But any feedback on these marketing changes for it would be appreciated though -

1. Would it be better to be able to buy & use, !' TLD's like Apple!com & Overstock!com, instead of Apple.p2p?
2. Would it be better to market it more as 'the decentralised Internet' to the general public instead of just BitShares DNS?
3. Would it be better to give the program you use to access it a friendly name like 'BitFrog' or 'BitToast' vs. BDNS for the general public?

I've put all the changes  I prefer into this pitch below. Any feedback welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------

TDI: The Decentralised Internet DAC

The Decentralised Internet, is an entirely new decentralised front end to the internet system that is based on a blockchain, much like Bitcoin.

Where the traditional centralised internet uses .TLD's such as .com & .org , The Decentralised Internet, uses !TLD's such as !com and !p2p and you could even have just a '!', as in apple! or hotels! as your web address.
Where the traditional centralised internet is accessed via programs like 'Google Chrome' and 'Internet Explorer', the decentralised internet is accessed via programs like 'BitFrog'. ('BitFrog' still gives you access to the centralised .TLD sites too, so the best of both worlds really.)

Why use The Decentralised Internet?

On the traditional centralised internet, because of the need to trust a central certificate authority, you can often be the victim of 'man in the middle' attacks and as whistleblowers like Edward Snowden have revealed, your internet actions are often spied on and recorded by 'Big Brother' and others against your will. However the decentralised internet is completely private and secure.

On the traditional centralised internet, sites can also be seized and blocked. However on the decentralised internet, sites can't be blocked or seized. The Turkish government for example, recently blocked, 'Twitter.com', but there would have been nothing they could have done about 'Twitter!com'.

How do I get a  !com or a !org?

They are sold via *incentivised auctions, which are started whenever somebody offers the minimum opening bid. (which decreases every month.)

* The next bidder is required to bid at least 10% more than you, and if somebody does bid higher than you, you get half the difference between their bid and yours.

Can anyone bid on and end up buying something like Nike! or Apple!com?

Yes absolutely! And if you become the owner of apple!com, you can put whatever you like on the site & or sell it later. However only people who can also verify to the blockchain system that they are also the owner of the .com on the centralised internet by the same name will get a green tick next to their site. (To avoid copycatting)

Could these be worth a lot more in the future?

That's for you to decide, but quite frankly we believe the traditional centralised internet is obsolete. What kind of a company wants a site and an online brand that could be blocked or seized at any moment?  Who wants their information spied on all the time? In fact a recent poll showed that over 70% of citizens in many countries felt the current level of spying was 'unacceptable'.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/07/US%20spying.jpg

Besides spying, there's also been significant increases in moves towards internet censorship in many countries all over the world. So it's quite possible that in the near future many people will have switched to using the decentralised internet and many famous businesses may wish to put their brands on it too. Youtube.com obviously wouldn't want to have to call themselves Youtub!com on the internet system of the future would they? So who knows how much a site like Youtube! or Youtube!com could be worth in a year or two...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner1232

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 09:37:55 PM

I dont get the Point. What is your dac doing better then bitshares DNS or namecoin?
FandangledGizmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:01:53 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 09:44:36 PM by FandangledGizmo

I dont get the Point. What is your dac doing better then bitshares DNS or namecoin?

Hmm you're right I'm essentially interested in how people feel about some key marketing changes. (I've edited the OP to reflect that, thanks )

1.  I feel people would rather buy _com's and _org's than .p2p's or .bits so I'd rather offer web addresses for sale like Nike! or Apple!com.  (I feel starting a DNS system with TLD's the public are more familiar with will be better & I think Adidas!com is worth more than Adidas.p2p. Do you agree/disagree?

2. I feel marketing as more 'the decentralised Internet' as opposed to BitShares DNS/Namecoin would have broader appeal?

3. Instead of calling the program you open to use it BDNS, I'd prefer a consumer friendly name like 'BitFrog' or 'BitToast'

Instead of going on about my ideas in the forum,  I thought I would bring it here for some feedback. Any is welcome as well as any new ideas the crazier the better! Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: