Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:05:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my college dorm room be able to handle 3000W?  (Read 3580 times)
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 12:29:10 PM

1. you cant live with that thing in one room without earplugs. the room will get hot for sure more than 35° without ventilation and then and your miner will shot down too.
2. you need one circuit breaker just for your miner. check that out. then replace it with one for 16Ampere (in europe) and put thicker wires from the circuit breaker to the plug (recommended, but depends how hot the wires will get). best you consult an electrician. for 100 bucks he can figure out whats necessary.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:06:17 PM

And dont forget that the narcs will be knocking on your door soon.
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:04:16 PM

1. you cant live with that thing in one room without earplugs. the room will get hot for sure more than 35° without ventilation and then and your miner will shot down too.
2. you need one circuit breaker just for your miner. check that out. then replace it with one for 16Ampere (in europe) and put thicker wires from the circuit breaker to the plug (recommended, but depends how hot the wires will get). best you consult an electrician. for 100 bucks he can figure out whats necessary.

It's a college dormitory!!!  He/she can't go changing breakers and ripping out wiring.  I doubt he/she would be even allowed to have access to the breaker in the first place that's why I said not to trip it.  If it trips the engineering dept will come over and try to see why it tripped.  Then you either need to show them the miner or lie/hide it which could get him/her into a lot of trouble.

1 S3 should be fine - anything beyond that would depend on the size of the dorm and the age of the circuit.
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:32:56 PM

One S3 is probably manageable if he has AC or can leave a window open for a breeze.  That's like a large TV and a stereo system - commonplace in most dorms.  Running anything beyond 1 S3 means that any other heat from computers, TVs, stereos would make the room quite toasty.

Larger TVs and Stereos are not running with full capacity 24/7. Stereos have a max output of that wattage. So you can't really compare the heat of those two.

We're talking dorm room, not average household with kids.  My roommate had the TV on 24/7 (big 32" Sony Trinitron sucking 320W) and if not the TV he had a 700W stereo bumping.  Yes, 2 15 subs with a high pass and a guitar amp will do that - we always left our window or door open.

Again it depends on the size of the room - 400 sqft would be hot, 1200 sqft not too bad with a single S3.

But not while you sleep, or?

S3 are incredible loud and hot!

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:06:00 PM

One S3 is probably manageable if he has AC or can leave a window open for a breeze.  That's like a large TV and a stereo system - commonplace in most dorms.  Running anything beyond 1 S3 means that any other heat from computers, TVs, stereos would make the room quite toasty.

Larger TVs and Stereos are not running with full capacity 24/7. Stereos have a max output of that wattage. So you can't really compare the heat of those two.

We're talking dorm room, not average household with kids.  My roommate had the TV on 24/7 (big 32" Sony Trinitron sucking 320W) and if not the TV he had a 700W stereo bumping.  Yes, 2 15 subs with a high pass and a guitar amp will do that - we always left our window or door open.

Again it depends on the size of the room - 400 sqft would be hot, 1200 sqft not too bad with a single S3.

But not while you sleep, or?

S3 are incredible loud and hot!

Again I said it really depends on the space he's in.  In college my roommate and I kept our PCs on 24/7 and back then monitors didn't have power saving mode.  Some people keep all kinds of stuff on 24/7 since they're not directly paying for the electricity.

S3 will still put out a good bit of heat at 340+ watts but it is nowhere near as loud as a BFL Single or crazy DC level eq like an SP30.
bozo333

Activity: 742
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:05:17 AM

You have no idea how freakin hot your room would become if you ran 3000W of mining machines. I am talking sauna hot. There is no way you could stand it for longer than a day. Plus the noise. Believe me, been there, done that. Can't be done. Only thing you might get away with is something like one S3 and even thats iffy.

Better approach, talk one of your professors into a 'project' so you can setup a couple machines in a lab or something.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
gallery2000

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:24:33 PM

Since clearly the 3000W miner is no longer viable, does anyone know any smaller miners that still offer a pretty good return?  I don't want to use USB miners because they don't offer a good return.  Thanks!

The best miner in college is to be a "gold digger".  Hook up with a HOT (hotter than your 3000W) and rich girl or guy and you can mine all your life.

desert_beagle

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:31:17 PM

I don't know where you go to school, but in my school there are people who inspect dorm rooms regularly throughout the semester.  If they find a miner they may think it's a heater or something and notify the fire dep and deem it fire hazard.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: