Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:21:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's learn about XC, And why it's the Future of Crypto "currencies"  (Read 5305 times)
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:05:24 PM

The only reason I got involved in the first place is due to the open Dev (and now whole open dev team!) and it clearly not being a scam.

Yeah ... on the dev.  Might wanna read this..

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=21506.msg198342#msg198342

and the end of this.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=2702.msg198923#new

I do have a question - is XC open source?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dadon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:10:19 PM

The only reason I got involved in the first place is due to the open Dev (and now whole open dev team!) and it clearly not being a scam.

and the end of this.

jasinlee is not a dev of XC he was helping with some minor shit that's all,  and XC is open source but on a delayed timeline to prevent copy & paste shit.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:13:12 PM

It's not just a coin it's a platform. Your going to try and tell me that encrypted messages, voice, and video that is totally decentralized is not useful? Hell it's a multi billion dollar feature. Do you really like the NSA collecting all your data, if anon is such a big deal I would also think that having an XC app on your computer or phone to chat, call or skype  totally anonymous is a big deal.

tox.im already does this, and it does so in a way that cryptographers agree is reasonably safe.

Until we see a whitepaper detailing the cryptography and mathematics behind this anonymous, encrypted voice/video/chat it's nothing more than hype to sell a coin. Even when such a whitepaper is released (and please don't link me to whitepapers with walls of text and zero maths) it will have to be vetted and peer-reviewed before it can be considered excellent or even safe to implement.

First you plan, then you talk, then you publish a whitepaper, then you write code, then you release. Not the other way around.

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:14:42 PM

Gotcha ... for some reason I was thinking parts of it were going to stay closed sourced.  

You guys really should pay somebody several hundred XC's to re-design your website.  it's just .... awful.

My comment was geared towards the guy who was raving about the entire dev team.  After losing my ass in crypto I pay a lot more attention to who associates with who.  So consider that my fair warning to noobs.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:16:29 PM

ok so ring signature bloat is not a big deal...i believe you..so when will you have mobile wallets for XMR, is there an ETA 2020?

I tell you what. If you can't transact with Monero on most modern smartphones (Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone) by December 31st, 2014, I will eat an entire hat and film it on video.

Shout if you want this GPG signed to prove I'm not joking. Although you'll first need to understand what GPG is, and given your proclivity for ignoring cryptographic principles I don't suspect that to be plausible.

G-Bert

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:18:29 PM

and the end of this.

Yeah Jasinlee Isn't our Dev though. He's just helped/helping out. Also all that stuff has been discussed in the XC thread, had a reply for Jasin, and is basically nothing do do with XC anyway.

Dan Metcalf is the Developer of XC - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-metcalf/12/1a8/b82

And yes, XC is open source, Rev 1.5 was released a little while ago (and has already been copied)

Further releases are being released on a delayed timeline to try slow down the copy/paste P&D crew. They're currently on Rev 2.47 or thereabouts)

XChat XJkVnYD4N4oSjNStgbAUD6UyWuBTWuMRgv
public key  fuYPYmK4Sj57PkU2NKg1gKW91euMKkstQPeeexUcxnb8
rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:23:52 PM

and the end of this.

Yeah Jasinlee Isn't our Dev though. He's just helped/helping out. Also all that stuff has been discussed in the XC thread, had a reply for Jasin, and is basically nothing do do with XC anyway.

Dan Metcalf is the Developer of XC - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dan-metcalf/12/1a8/b82

And yes, XC is open source, Rev 1.5 was released a little while ago (and has already been copied)

Further releases are being released on a delayed timeline to try slow down the copy/paste P&D crew. They're currently on Rev 2.47 or thereabouts)

Isn't he your #2 core dev per website?

http://www.xc-official.com/the-xc-team/
atcsecure

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:29:49 PM

and the end of this.

Does it say #2 core developer? No it does NOT

Join the revolution - XC - Decentralized Trustless Multi-Node Private Transactions
battbot

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:32:56 PM

Jasinlee was not part of XC's original dev team.  He volunteered to help with the XC project about 4-6 weeks after XC launched.  His contributions toward the XC project are greatly appreciated, but his involvement with the XC project is limited and thus does not compromise the integrity of XC's platform or development.

Dan Metcalf is the original and lead developer of XC.  XC's original dev team consists of Dan Metcalf and 4 other coders (not counting Jasinlee).  Currently, the only coder besides Dan from the original dev team to have gone public is Christian Howe (the other 3 remain anonymous, but to my knowledge, were there from the beginning as well).  

While I believe the above to be accurate, I am happy to be corrected on anything I just said.

G-Bert

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:33:33 PM

and the end of this.

As per website

"Christian Howe
Developer

Core XC developer from day one."

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:35:56 PM

Well your website makes him look like #2.  Whatever ...

Goodluck to you guys.  Tired of seeing this shill / marketing thread everywhere.  Your thread reminds me of reddit doders.  Getting irritating.  Pay somebody to redesign your website.  It would do your coin good.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:38:18 PM

Jasinlee was not part of XC's original dev team.  He volunteered to help with the XC project about 4-6 weeks after XC launched.  His contributions toward the XC project are greatly appreciated, but his involvement with the XC project is limited and thus does not compromise the integrity of XC's platform or development.

Dan Metcalf is the original and lead developer of XC.  XC's original dev team consists of Dan Metcalf and 4 other coders (not counting Jasinlee).  Currently, the only coder besides Dan from the original dev team to have gone public is Christian Howe (the other 3 remain anonymous, but to my knowledge, were there from the beginning as well).  

While I believe the above to be accurate, I am happy to be corrected on anything I just said.

So zero cryptographers, then?

Just checking.

synechist
Legendary

Merit: 1000

To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:39:35 PM

First you plan, then you talk, then you publish a whitepaper, then you write code, then you release. Not the other way around.

Nope. First you research, then you code, then you explain it to everyone (via a scholarly paper and other means).

Invert this order and you'll facilitate the creation of innumerable P&D coins that the general public will have a hard time distinguishing from the quality projects. And this hinders the entire altcoin phenomenon.

To not lend support to XC's way of doing things is, in effect, to lend support to an awfully unethical environment composed mostly of scams.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
G-Bert

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:40:34 PM

Goodluck to you guys.  Tired of seeing this shill / marketing thread everywhere.  Your thread reminds me of reddit doders.  Getting irritating.  Pay somebody to redesign your website.  It would do your coin good.

Agree with the website point (the menu bit is still busted) and the fact jasin is looking like second developer on said website. but i got no say in any of this stuff.

I assure you I am no shill. Just followed the 1060 page thread so know the answers to most of your questions.

Good luck to you too.

synechist
Legendary

To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:40:49 PM

Well your website makes him look like #2.  Whatever ...

Goodluck to you guys.  Tired of seeing this shill / marketing thread everywhere.  Your thread reminds me of reddit doders.  Getting irritating.  Pay somebody to redesign your website.  It would do your coin good.

Shill? Full disclosure: I'm XC's PR and media liaison. Thus no shilling here.

Marketing? Ask me some real questions then.

You're very welcome to improve the quality of discourse on XC if it doesn't suit your tastes.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
Teka

Activity: 840

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:42:48 PM

You're right: whatever. It's probably best to give up when your facts are incorrect and your best argument doesn't stick.
demgains

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:44:23 PM

Gotcha ... for some reason I was thinking parts of it were going to stay closed sourced.  

You guys really should pay somebody several hundred XC's to re-design your website.  it's just .... awful.

My comment was geared towards the guy who was raving about the entire dev team.  After losing my ass in crypto I pay a lot more attention to who associates with who.  So consider that my fair warning to noobs.

I think this is coming in the future, with the PR campaign Rev 3
G-Bert

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:46:57 PM

You're right: whatever. It's probably best to give up when your facts are incorrect and your best argument doesn't stick.

To be fair to him Teka, the site does show him right at the top next to Dan. Could be easy to assume if you dont know the history of XC. Just saying.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:52:12 PM

Nope. First you research, then you code, then you explain it to everyone (via a scholarly paper and other means).

Invert this order and you'll facilitate the creation of innumerable P&D coins that the general public will have a hard time distinguishing from the quality projects. And this hinders the entire altcoin phenomenon.

To not lend support to XC's way of doing things is, in effect, to lend support to an awfully unethical environment composed mostly of scams.

Nonsense - Satoshi released the whitepaper and received commentary on it before he released the code. Specifically, he released the whitepaper on 2008-11-01, and then he released Bitcoin 0.1 on 2009-01-09. I have no doubt he had a large portion of the code completed by the time he released the whitepaper, but those 2 months gave him time to refine things after discussions on the cryptography mailing list. This is important, especially with a cryptocurrency or other cryptography related projects, because you cannot have knowledge of all pitfalls a priori, and discussions with cryptographers and a peer review process at least allows the major ones to be removed.

About the only occurrence I've ever seen of cryptographically sound software being released before the whitepaper was BitMessage where they were both made available within days of each other in November, 2012. The difference is that he knew that no great amount of users were going to have their messages at risk initially, so there was time to fix major pitfalls. Additionally, nobody that got in to BitMessage early had any sort of financial advantage over those that got in later.

Doing things the other way round when you are dealing with people's money is not only grossly irresponsible, but incredibly dangerous. That there is closed-source code not even being made available for review is unconscionable. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that this is a good idea.

rdnkjdi
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:52:30 PM

Well your website makes him look like #2.  Whatever ...

Goodluck to you guys.  Tired of seeing this shill / marketing thread everywhere.  Your thread reminds me of reddit doders.  Getting irritating.  Pay somebody to redesign your website.  It would do your coin good.

Of course it doesn't stick to people who are trying to get rich off it's success are who are on the other side of the isle.  Look - here is why I know XC will fail (this is from another thread).

Consensus.  Consensus needs a whitepaper.  Consensus needs a community (not shills & hype).  Consensus needs open source (XC is delayed - I admit ...).  Consensus needs proper distribution (not PoS).  Consensus needs a simple (and not horrific) website.  Consensus needs simplicity - both in product and in communication.  Not shiny things that re-invent the wheel "better" 

"XC is a currency that you can skype on and the NSA can't find you plus you can buy a USB key.  But mostly it's a currency"

wtf?

Consensus ... consensus is why XC is guaranteed to fail.

I lost a ton on another coin.  Turns out I wasn't wrong .... on anything.  Except taking consensus into consideration.  It wasn't a scam, it wasn't a pump and dump, etc.  I see more posts about innovation on your coin (just because I've been loosely following it due to Jasinlee) than ANY other coin.  But it still takes huge dumps everytime it goes above 5 mil market cap.  Even with all the "good news" it's harder and harder to "keep it up" ... the market cap I mean.

XCdoge has better marketing (horrific website aside) than most other coins too.  More - more marketing would be the proper term. 

Anybody thinking about buying into XC just think about consensus. 
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: