Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:50:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this computer be OK for gaming? Input, please!  (Read 2858 times)
monbux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 02:18:20 AM

Hey all,

My laptop recently broke and I've been in search of a high end PC for everyday use.  I also do plan to play games often, so I would like your input, would I get a decent FPS (say, 50 +?) for modern day games on medium/high/ultra settings with these specs?

This is a DELL computer (IK, not a customized computer, nor a gaming one :-/)

Processor:
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
Memory: 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 4GB DDR3 (OEM version, duh.  Not sold in the open market).

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=dxps8700_bt_b107re&model_id=xps-8700

I'm mainly wondering about the GPU; the processor and RAM don't seem to be a problem...
If this computer isn't the best, do you guys have any good desktops to recommend?  My budget would probably be $1000 CAD or less for just the destop.  

Thanks in advance!

P.S.  The games I'm looking to play would be: Battlefield 4, GTA V (when it comes out), Far cry 4, and other games on that level. Smiley
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Johanna

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:50:29 AM

Hey all,

My laptop recently broke and I've been in search of a high end PC for everyday use.  I also do plan to play games often, so I would like your input, would I get a decent FPS (say, 50 +?) for modern day games on medium/high/ultra settings with these specs?

Processor:
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 4GB DDR3 (OEM version, duh.  Not sold in the open market).

I'm mainly wondering about the GPU; the processor and RAM don't seem to be a problem...
If this computer isn't the best, do you guys have any good desktops to recommend?  My budget would probably be $1000 CAD or less for just the destop.  

Thanks in advance!

P.S.  The games I'm looking to play would be: Battlefield 4, GTA V (when it comes out), Far cry 4, and other games on that level. Smiley

The computer is good enough for overall gaming but not max peformance, you will need better GPU for it...

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:10:57 AM

can't you build your own? i prefer doing that.. you get all the parts that you want after all. building it takes probably something like 30 minutes if you are experienced.. and it's fun building something that is your own.

at those prices, i'm pretty certain you could build a better system for $800.

monbux (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:16:33 AM

can't you build your own? i prefer doing that.. you get all the parts that you want after all. building it takes probably something like 30 minutes if you are experienced.. and it's fun building something that is your own.

at those prices, i think you could build something better for $700.

Problem is, I need a new comp fast, my laptop was my main computer up until the day it broke.  Any specific setup that you recommend?  Yes, I do how to build my own,  but I don't think it takes only 30 minutes, lol
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:17:57 AM

Problem is, I need a new comp fast, my laptop was my main computer up until the day it broke.  Any specific setup that you recommend?  Yes, I do how to build my own,  but I don't think it takes only 30 minutes, lol

this might not be what you want to do, but i'd buy a cheap laptop for now, and over the course of a month, collect enough parts and build your own system. at least to me, it feels a lot better when you know you built it.

i meant it takes about 30 minutes to put together when you have the parts.

if you want to buy a dell, though, you should wait 2 weeks.. that's when the back to school sale starts. if you are looking to spend $1k right now, there might be a dell coupon in circulation for 30% off.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1073

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:19:20 AM

More important than know what games you want play, it is what graphic levels you would like to play. A less sophisticated would be ok to play your games in minimum, but I guess your computer can't stand the maximum graphs

S133p

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:19:46 AM

Hey all,

Processor:

Thanks in advance!

for those games yes it would probably work. For others maybe, maybe not.
monbux (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:20:09 AM

Problem is, I need a new comp fast, my laptop was my main computer up until the day it broke.  Any specific setup that you recommend?  Yes, I do how to build my own,  but I don't think it takes only 30 minutes, lol

this might not be what you want to do, but i'd buy a cheap laptop for now, and over the course of a month, collect enough parts and build your own system. at least to me, it feels a lot better when you know you built it.

i meant it takes about 30 minutes to put together when you have the parts.

if you want to buy a dell, though, you should wait 2 weeks.. that's when the back to school sale starts.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have a 3 month return period, so if it doesn't work well, or if I find a much better deal, I'll get a refund.  I'm asking for specific advice, any builds that you cab recommend?
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:20:46 AM

works in low resolution and minimal graphic tweaks

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
paradoxum

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:22:54 AM

I would tone down the CPU and spend the savings on the GPU.  An I5 is more than enough for most games except the really heavy RTS or turn based stuff.  The GPU is the bottleneck.
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:16:01 AM

get a better gpu, then having an i7. most games only need a i3 to run on at most.

It also depends on the types you plan on playing like dota2 and other moba games dont require much.
KIRAZ

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:21:13 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2014, 04:44:08 AM by KIRAZ

People still prefers NVIDIA for gaming but i have used both Nvidia and AMD and like Amd better than any other but overall that's a good machine you got there.
fanboy4

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:42:12 AM

your computer can deliver great performance on games but make sure you use ssd disks.
Zawamiya

Activity: 526

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:15:14 AM

your computer can deliver great performance on games but make sure you use ssd disks.

SSD doesnt help much on gaming, its GPU that is much more important..
kerimk2

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

ACCOUNT BANNED. Email in sig!!

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:18:10 AM

Hey, dell accepts bitcoin so thats another bonus of using them! Dell computers aren't the best, but they are pretty good for its value. I would rather build one, but with the bitcoin accepting, I would probably buy a dell computer if I couldn't build one.

If you need support for AutoPonzi contact: autoponzi@gmail.com
We aren't sure how long the ban is for. We aren't even sure why we are banned. But we'll try figure it out
monbux (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 03:40:02 PM

Hey, dell accepts bitcoin so thats another bonus of using them! Dell computers aren't the best, but they are pretty good for its value. I would rather build one, but with the bitcoin accepting, I would probably buy a dell computer if I couldn't build one.

Yep... but I'm in Canada, so I don't believe DELL.ca accepts them yet :-/
I'd love to build a computer, I've done it before, but I need a computer for the time being.  Just wondering, can this computer run games like BF4 and Saints Row 4 on medium - high settings with decent (50-ish+) FPS?
Nik1ab

Activity: 574

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:09:07 PM

No, Dell computers are bad. There were even some ones that exploded.
And of course you shouldn't buy at an US based company, because of:
1. NSA spying equipment inside
2. Supporting terrorism with that currency

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
monbux (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:20:39 PM

No, Dell computers are bad. There were even some ones that exploded.
And of course you shouldn't buy at an US based company, because of:
1. NSA spying equipment inside
2. Supporting terrorism with that currency

No worries.  I got em from costco (better warranty! Tongue) online .ca. Smiley
Now could we please go back to the original topic? :O  Really wanting to play some hardcore planetside 2 now as well - great game. Smiley  Think this computer can handle it with 60 + FPS on high settings?  My CPU isn't bad, so yeah.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: