Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:13:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Celebrity Trend  (Read 909 times)
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:19:54 AM

Is the notion of celebrity as we know it now different from 20+ years ago ?  (I remember a time when we didnt have nearly as many non "talented" famous people. )  Maybe the only thing that has changed is communication platforms ?

Is the celebrity trend growing, plateau or sinking?  

What year approx will non "talented" people no longer have huge fan bases?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:34:15 AM

As human continue to evolve into simpler life forms they will be drawn out to the crazies rather than the exceptionals.

Almost nobody can tell you who won the Intel science award, the spelling bee, or the swimmers on the 4x400 relay in the Olympics - they can tell you what Kim K and Kanye had for breakfast  Roll Eyes
madken7777

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:41:49 AM

Is the notion of celebrity as we know it now different from 20+ years ago ?  (I remember a time when we didnt have nearly as many non "talented" famous people. )  Maybe the only thing that has changed is communication platforms ?

I won't call celebrity that has millions of mindless followers no talent. They have the talent that make many followers spend countless of hours watching their movies and listening to their songs.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:12:07 AM

I won't call celebrity that has millions of mindless followers no talent. They have the talent that make many followers spend countless of hours watching their movies and listening to their songs.

So perhaps a better way to put it is with a chart like

?
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:10:38 AM

I think the trend is growing, as people put more and more personal information in the web. - it makes them easier to track and follow. Even a random person can become a celebrity these days.

A key aspect of the concept is that it must be understandable for the masses. If you have say, an exceptional talent for mathematics,  70% won't understand what you are doing at all.

Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:05:47 AM

Exactly.  Not all talents are necessarily positive traits. Einstein would likely have less followers than Justin Bieber.

tatu

Activity: 138

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:29:59 PM

I can't see it getting any better any time soon. Seems most people want their 15 minutes of underserved fame.  Society is fucked really.
Jesu

Activity: 166

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:30:48 PM

It's growing and it's only gotten worse because of things like reality tv shows and stuff like social media etc. People are famous for doing either silly stuff or not a lot at all, and sadly people think merely being famous is success, when it really isnt. Sad to see where we're going to end up.
Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:36:21 PM

I really don't know how anyone could admire people who add nothing to society and are just throwing out their "unearned" currency all over the place for no reason.
Can anybody explain it to me?

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
bigtimespaghetti
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

bigtimespaghetti.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 07:58:58 PM

I'd be tempted to say it's part an agenda to glamourize mediocrity and moral bankruptcy, ties in to so many societal trends like extreme feminism and political correctness. It's also down a lot to the entitlement culture that exists in the West.

State education does a good job of making everyone 'special' bringing students down to the lower common denominator too.

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
       ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
    █▓░   ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
Physical Coin Making Guide Book and eBook- Make your own physical crypto coins and wallets!
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
    ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
  █▓░     ░░▒▓█
█▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
        ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     █▓░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
bigtimespaghetti
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

bigtimespaghetti.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 08:00:45 PM

I really don't know how anyone could admire people who add nothing to society and are just throwing out their "unearned" currency all over the place for no reason.

They admire the lifestyle without sacrificing anything. Years ago it would have been frowned upon. Morals of a society always deteriorate when the system is morally bankrupt too.

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
       ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
    █▓░   ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
Physical Coin Making Guide Book and eBook- Make your own physical crypto coins and wallets!
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
    ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
  █▓░     ░░▒▓█
█▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
        ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     █▓░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
southern

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 08:08:29 PM

They admire the lifestyle without sacrificing anything. Years ago it would have been frowned upon. Morals of a society always deteriorate when the system is morally bankrupt too.
I think people want attention and to be interesting.. on the other hand, to be celebrity is not as good as it sounds.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 09:27:21 AM

Celebrity 'culture' seems to be growing every year, nowadays any gimp with a youtube channel can be famous for little or no reason. Think a lot of it stems from bullshit reality TV programs and gossip magazines that women read.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:23:38 PM

Celebrity 'culture' seems to be growing every year, nowadays any gimp with a youtube channel can be famous for little or no reason. Think a lot of it stems from bullshit reality TV programs and gossip magazines that women read.

tbh im alot happier with people being famous from fragmented sources of media then i am the mainstream monopolies.  If you werent an early adopter to be successful on youtube now takes either talent, balls or good looks i guess.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:39:43 PM

I find it really odd that we follow these vapid morons the way we do. I like popular culture as much as anyone else, but assigning the purveyors some sort of deified status is bizarre at best. Now with social media every moron with a phone or web cam thinks we all care about where they are eating or what they bought at Target. Or maybe I am becoming a cantankerous old man at a tragically young age. 

Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:42:35 PM

I find it really odd that we follow these vapid morons the way we do. I like popular culture as much as anyone else, but assigning the purveyors some sort of deified status is bizarre at best. Now with social media every moron with a phone or web cam thinks we all care about where they are eating or what they bought at Target. Or maybe I am becoming a cantankerous old man at a tragically young age.  
The gov's finally got most people what they always wanted them to be. Indoctrinated and stupid.

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:51:33 PM

Now its is easier to get famous than say 20 years ago. We can blame internet, viral videos, network communication and increasing stupidity of people. You may want to do something crazy and instantaneously you are known for it in some circles. That is why paradoxically people are doing crazier and crazier things to be famous...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: