Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:55:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin ASICs  (Read 9864 times)
Cosbycoin (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 08:56:10 PM

I wanted to open up discussion on this topic early on because it seems its taking a while for the Bitcoin ASICs to get produced.

What are your thoughts on Litecoin ASICs?

If there can exist Bitcoin ASICs there also can exist Litecoin ASICs.

Open thread... Grin

Please no Solidcoin bashing or Litecoin bashing. Let's keep this discussion professional.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 09:19:40 PM

I believe what you meant to say was: "If there is a Litecoin GPU miner, then Litecoin FPGAs/ASICS are also possible"

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Cosbycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 09:50:38 PM

I believe what you meant to say was: "If there is a Litecoin GPU miner, then Litecoin FPGAs/ASICS are also possible"

Um no. Actually there is no prerequisite of having a GPU miner in order for ASICs to exist for Litecoin. The whole point of an ASIC is that it is APPLICATION SPECIFIC (not GPU specific). Having a GPU miner only makes the hashing faster (like 10 times or whatever). People can still hash on a cpu, they dont need a GPU.

Anyways did you have anything intelligent to say instead of attempting to correct my perfectly logical OP.

If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts, otherwise please dont post.

There is enough drama on this forum already, don't need anymore BS.

Thanks!  Grin
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 10:42:03 PM

It would be possible, but the memory use could add to the price or speed bottleneck

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 10:52:22 PM

Um no. Actually there is no prerequisite of having a GPU miner in order for ASICs to exist for Litecoin. The whole point of an ASIC is that it is APPLICATION SPECIFIC (not GPU specific). Having a GPU miner only makes the hashing faster (like 10 times or whatever). People can still hash on a cpu, they dont need a GPU.

Anyways did you have anything intelligent to say instead of attempting to correct my perfectly logical OP.

Thanks!  Grin
My post's aim was not to critique your grammar or anything like that. I apologize if that was the impression I gave you.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 11:38:09 PM

Thanks!  Grin
My post's aim was not to critique your grammar or anything like that. I apologize if that was the impression I gave you.

that's not the impression you gave him.

you gave him the impression that ASICs are only possible if GPU mining is possible... but GPU mining has nothing to do with it.
Cosbycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 11:50:14 PM

Thanks!  Grin

Um not grammar but perhaps my view/thinking on the topic?
Cosbycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 11:50:39 PM

Thanks!  Grin

that's not the impression you gave him.

you gave him the impression that ASICs are only possible if GPU mining is possible... but GPU mining has nothing to do with it.

+1
vmarchuk

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 12:27:31 AM

I having BFL SHA256 single on order. Very nice if can work for litecoin  Cool
moocow1452

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

Don't mind me.

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 12:49:53 AM

Wasn't Litecoin supposed to be CPU exclusive? Whatever happened to that?
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 01:19:32 AM

there's no reason why an application-specific integrated circuit couldn't be a type of central processing unit.
Cosbycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:51:38 AM

Well that's like saying a cryptocurrency is pegged to say the Dollar. But then someone makes an exchange to allow exchange for Euros which it isn't pegged to.

The intention is right. Keep in mind that GPU's are only 10x faster than CPU hashing unlike bitcoin where GPU mining is about 100x faster than CPU mining.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 05:11:37 PM

I having BFL SHA256 single on order. Very nice if can work for litecoin  Cool

WHY ?......

Are you planning on dedicating the next 10 years of your life to the pursuit of recovering your hardware investment for exclusive Litecoin mining using a $600 appliance ?

Any talk of dedicated devices or speciality hardware for Litecoin mining further defeats the original intended purpose of Litecoin (or, 1 of them).
Wasn't the whole idea behind Litecoin essentially just another Alt-Coin to keep your CPU busy, rather than sitting idle, while mining BTC with your GPUs on the same rig ?

Frankly, anyone who is currently using a Bitcoin-Capable ATI GPU to mine LTC must not be very well versed in both Economics and Mathematics.
Bragging rights are great. 2,500 kh/s LTC mining speeds on multiple GPUs is impressive, but at the end of the day it's a waste.

It's really unfortunate that the GPU LTC Miner was released because now everyone's imaginations are running wild with 'What could be..IF...'

The Litecoin hashing algorithm needs to be updated/upgraded to something that is not only CPU friendly, but is in fact GPU HOSTILE so that things can get back to normal and the value of LTC can stabilize once and for all and quit the downward spiral that it seems to be on currently.

...just my 2 LTC's worth.
YMMV, as well as your opinion(s).
bitlane.

Cosbycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 06:34:29 PM

WHY ?......

Are you planning on dedicating the next 10 years of your life to the pursuit of recovering your hardware investment for exclusive Litecoin mining using a $600 appliance ?

Any talk of dedicated devices or speciality hardware for Litecoin mining further defeats the original intended purpose of Litecoin (or, 1 of them).
Wasn't the whole idea behind Litecoin essentially just another Alt-Coin to keep your CPU busy, rather than sitting idle, while mining BTC with your GPUs on the same rig ?

Frankly, anyone who is currently using a Bitcoin-Capable ATI GPU to mine LTC must not be very well versed in both Economics and Mathematics.
Bragging rights are great. 2,500 kh/s LTC mining speeds on multiple GPUs is impressive, but at the end of the day it's a waste.

It's really unfortunate that the GPU LTC Miner was released because now everyone's imaginations are running wild with 'What could be..IF...'

The Litecoin hashing algorithm needs to be updated/upgraded to something that is not only CPU friendly, but is in fact GPU HOSTILE so that things can get back to normal and the value of LTC can stabilize once and for all and quit the downward spiral that it seems to be on currently.

...just my 2 LTC's worth.
YMMV, as well as your opinion(s).
bitlane.

Um GPU mining is only 10 x as fast as cpu mining with LTC. And keep in mind it cost more to mine with a GPU than a CPU. Bitcoin that number is 100x. Not seeing your point.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:37:06 PM

Um GPU mining is only 10 x as fast as cpu mining with LTC.
Great. Thanks Captain Obvious....

And keep in mind it cost more to mine with a GPU than a CPU.
...and again  Roll Eyes
Guess what ? THE SKY IS BLUE AND PLANET EARTH IS NOT FLAT.

Not seeing your point.
Unless English is not your first language, I think my point as pretty clear, but I will summarize for the 'English-Impaired'.....

- Dedicated LTC Mining devices = FINANCIAL FAIL.
- Users mining LTC with GPUs currently are clueless in regards to the economic benefits (or lack there of).
- LTC needs a new algorithm that makes it an even further futile venture to consider GPU mining.

Clear enough ? or shall I summarize further ?

Cosbycoin (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 09:49:05 PM

Um GPU mining is only 10 x as fast as cpu mining with LTC.
Great. Thanks Captain Obvious....

And keep in mind it cost more to mine with a GPU than a CPU.
...and again  Roll Eyes
Guess what ? THE SKY IS BLUE AND PLANET EARTH IS NOT FLAT.

Not seeing your point.
Unless English is not your first language, I think my point as pretty clear, but I will summarize for the 'English-Impaired'.....

- Dedicated LTC Mining devices = FINANCIAL FAIL.
- Users mining LTC with GPUs currently are clueless in regards to the economic benefits (or lack there of).
- LTC needs a new algorithm that makes it an even further futile venture to consider GPU mining.

Clear enough ? or shall I summarize further ?

I'm sorry but what crystal ball are you looking into in which you can see the future so clearly? You definitely have a thick layer of sarcasm on you. Must be to compensate for the rather tiny portion you got in the length and girth departments.  Cheesy
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 02:48:25 AM

Isn't Litecoin anti-GPU anti-ASIC ?

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 04:17:33 AM

Isn't memory the main reason CPUs are good at litecoin mining? Nothing except cost stops an ASIC or even FPGA from having/being connected to large amounts of SRAM...

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
vmarchuk

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 02:12:42 PM

WHY ?......

You idiot ? I plan use BFL for BTC. I just talking out asshole how be intersting use BFL for litecoin. Yoy.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 05:10:14 PM

ASIC are specific processors, so of course a litecoin asic exist! Litecoin can be mined on a normal cpu, obviously they can be mined on something specifically made to mine them.

Will someone make an ASIC for litecoin? Remember that you need to spend some milions for the masks required to make ASICs. Since Litecoin market is VERY small, how many chances there are you will manage to sell enough asic/mine enough litecoin to repay millions of $ ?

@finway: why do you mix gpu and asic? Seriously, learn what asic is before posting.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: