Bitcoin Forum
December 06, 2016, 10:06:22 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Armory on OSX  (Read 30627 times)
simonk83

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:02:33 AM

Right, when running the "make swig" command, it processes for while then ends with:

swig -c++ -python -classic -threads -outdir ../ -v CppBlockUtils.i
make: swig: No such file or directory
make: *** [CppBlockUtils_wrap.cxx] Error 1

Is swig in /usr/local/bin?  If so, you probably just need to add /usr/local/bin to the PATH

No, swig isn't present....

Code:
brew install swig

Thanks Smiley

Well, I did that and swig installed fine as far as I can tell.  However, make swig gives me:

Code:
macmini:cppforswig Simon$ make swig
g++ -shared -lpthread  UniversalTimer.o BinaryData.o FileDataPtr.o BtcUtils.o BlockObj.o BlockUtils.o EncryptionUtils.o libcryptopp.a "/usr/lib/python`python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`/config/libpython`python -c 'import sys; print str(sys.version_info[0]) + "." + str(sys.version_info[1])'`.a" CppBlockUtils_wrap.o -o ../_CppBlockUtils.so
pyrcc4 -o ../qrc_img_resources.py ../imgList.xml
make: pyrcc4: No such file or directory
make: *** [swig] Error 1

brew install pyrcc4? (edit:  nope...)

EDIT2:  Ah, hold on.  The initial round of "brew installs" didn't work I don't think (hence why I didn't have swig).   Just reinstalling the stuff now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
simonk83

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:27:55 AM

Success gentlemen Smiley

The only thing that needs adding to those instructions is:

Code:
brew install berkeley-db

The rest was me not installing the stuff properly (I grabbed the entire block and pasted it into the terminal.  I though it was installing the stuff 1 by 1 but clearly not Cheesy).

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.   Not ideal having to install it this way, but it works (and it's kind of fun if you're a dork like me, so that helps).
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:05:48 AM

EDIT: Check out the most up-to-date instructions here.

Success gentlemen Smiley

The only thing that needs adding to those instructions is:

Code:
brew install berkeley-db

The rest was me not installing the stuff properly (I grabbed the entire block and pasted it into the terminal.  I though it was installing the stuff 1 by 1 but clearly not Cheesy).

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.   Not ideal having to install it this way, but it works (and it's kind of fun if you're a dork like me, so that helps).
We don't need berkeley-db anymore.  It was only used to import the satoshi wallets and that has been dropped.

Here are my steps:

Code:
$ brew doctor
Do what the doctor says!

Code:
$ brew install python cryptopp swig sip qt pyqt
Make sure this ends in success!

I prefer to use brew's python since it is newer (2.7.3 vs ML's 2.7.2). Plus it is installed as my user so I can muck with it without sudo and I don't have to worry about breaking anything on my system.

Put this in your ~/.bashrc.  I do not recommend setting PYTHONPATH here.  It can get annoying when you are working on other Python projects.
Code:
export PATH=`brew --prefix`/share/python:$PATH
export CFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
export ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64"

Then run some more commands
Code:
$ pip install twisted
$ mkdir ~/src
$ cd ~/src
$ git clone git://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory.git
$ git checkout threading
$ cd BitcoinArmory
$ make
Hopefully soon we will won't need the threading branch and can just use master.

Running Armory is a bit awkward, but it isn't too bad.  You have to set PYTHONPATH so the system python can find pyqt and twisted.  I'm not sure why, but I haven't been able to get it built against brew's python.  Since "make" builds against the system python, you need to make sure you don't use some other one. Brew recommends you put it's python in the front of PATH, so using the full path to the system python makes sure we use the right one.
Code:
$ PYTHONPATH=`brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages /usr/bin/python ArmoryQt.py

Once I can get it Armory online properly, I'll update my brew tap.  I keep getting a segfault while it's loading the blockchain.  I'm re-downloading the chain now.

EDIT: A fresh blockchain didn't help.  I'm going to dig deeper this weekend.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 02:41:05 AM

So I made this super simple for people.  I'm sure etotheipi will eventually do this himself, but if you want Armory up and running fast and right now.

Code:
brew tap homebrew/versions
brew tap WyseNynja/bitcoin
brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/bitcoind
brew install --HEAD wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt

You don't need to install bitcoind, but I like to. I might eventually add a startup service for bitcoind.

EDIT: I forgot to mention tapping homebrew/versions
berkely-db4 is now in the main brew formula list.  However, armory doesn't need it anymore. Once threading gets merged into master, I'll update this tap.  I'll also get rid of the "--HEAD" requirement

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 01:42:24 AM

I've updated my brew tap to point to master! Let me know if it works!

Code:
brew doctor

From there it's incredibly easy to run (assuming you have brew's bin on your path, which you probably do).

Code:
ArmoryQt.command

If you need bitcoind, it is in my tap, too.

Code:

Once etotheipi tags a stable version, I'll setup the formula so you don't have to use "--HEAD"

etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 01:43:53 AM

Code:
brew doctor

From there it's incredibly easy to run (assuming you have brew's bin on your path, which you probably do).

Code:
ArmoryQt.command

Code:

Once etotheipi tags a stable version, I'll setup the formula so you don't have to use "--HEAD"

There's already a tag for "v0.85-beta".  Though I accidentally tagged it on the threading branch, I don't think that matters.  Simply referencing that tag should get you there, regardless of what branch you're on.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 01:53:25 AM

Code:
brew doctor

Code:
ArmoryQt.command

Code:

There's already a tag for "v0.85-beta".  Though I accidentally tagged it on the threading branch, I don't think that matters.  Simply referencing that tag should get you there, regardless of what branch you're on.
Done!

You should probably update the instructions on bitcoinarmory.com to match.

I'll keep "--HEAD" on whatever branch you are developing and make the default install your most recent stable tag/branch.

Code:
brew doctor
brew update
brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt
ArmoryQt.command

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:32:12 AM

It gives me the error, that it is up to date and it isn't armory is still 0.8.2.5 BETA

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:39:39 AM

It gives me the error, that it is up to date and it isn't armory is still 0.8.4

Can you post the output of `brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt`

Also, if you have already used my tap, you will need to `brew update` otherwise you will be using the old formula.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:44:08 AM

I did brew update and it did list it as one of the forumlas it did update
Code:
% brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt
Error: armory-qt-HEAD already installed

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:46:51 AM

I did brew update and it did list it as one of the forumlas it did update
Code:
% brew install wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt
Error: armory-qt-HEAD already installed
Looks like you need to uninstall the version you have.  It considers a "HEAD" version the newest no matter what.  Run this and then retry.

Code:
brew uninstall armory-qt

You don't need the "wysenynja/bitcoin/" part when uninstalling for some reason (although it doesn't hurt).

EDIT: Oh yeah. and `brew update` again. i just set the version number explicitly in the formula. It was autodetecting just "beta" before.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:53:56 AM

ok that worked and just for anyone else it did keep my wallets in tack after I uninstalled and reinstalled, even thou I still backed them up before the process

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:59:19 AM

Code:
brew doctor

Code:
ArmoryQt.command

Code:

There's already a tag for "v0.85-beta".  Though I accidentally tagged it on the threading branch, I don't think that matters.  Simply referencing that tag should get you there, regardless of what branch you're on.
Done!

I'll keep "--HEAD" on whatever branch you are developing and make the default install your most recent stable tag/branch.

Code:
brew doctor
ArmoryQt.command

Master branch is the correct place for it.  That's intended to house only the most stable releases.  All other intermediate and feature-testing versions will always be on a branch.  It just might be worth documenting how to modify it if the user wishes to switch to a different branch.

Also, I'm not sure what needs modifying in the instructions...?  HEAD on Master is actually identical to v0.85-beta, I just happened to tag it before I did the merge threading->master but after I merged master->threading (so they are the same).

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 03:13:05 AM

Code:
brew doctor

Code:
ArmoryQt.command

Code:

There's already a tag for "v0.85-beta".  Though I accidentally tagged it on the threading branch, I don't think that matters.  Simply referencing that tag should get you there, regardless of what branch you're on.
Done!

Code:
brew doctor
ArmoryQt.command

Master branch is the correct place for it.  That's intended to house only the most stable releases.  All other intermediate and feature-testing versions will always be on a branch.  It just might be worth documenting how to modify it if the user wishes to switch to a different branch.
If someone wants to build a weird branch, they should just git clone it and make it themselves.  No need for the brew tap to handle those cases.

Also, I'm not sure what needs modifying in the instructions...?  HEAD on Master is actually identical to v0.85-beta, I just happened to tag it before I did the merge threading->master but after I merged master->threading (so they are the same).

The instructions you have posted on your website under "User “Red Emerald” provided the following variant for Mac OSX 10.7.3 with Xcode 4.0.3."  are from Lion and involve making symlinks and such which since then I've decided are a bad idea and they also still reference berkeley-db.

I posted updated instructions that work on Mountain Lion and probably Lion and anywhere else brew runs.  These should definitely replace the Lion instructions you have from me.  The segfault I mention is that broken wallet I sent you that I still haven't had time to dig into.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 03:20:09 AM

ok that worked and just for anyone else it did keep my wallets in tack after I uninstalled and reinstalled, even thou I still backed them up before the process
The wallets and other user-specific files are kept in a folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Armory IIRC.  Brew installs the program to /usr/local/Cellar, so there is no risk of losing any of your data.

Good thing to mention though.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 03:42:57 AM

The instructions you have posted on your website under "User “Red Emerald” provided the following variant for Mac OSX 10.7.3 with Xcode 4.0.3."  are from Lion and involve making symlinks and such which since then I've decided are a bad idea and they also still reference berkeley-db.

I posted updated instructions that work on Mountain Lion and probably Lion and anywhere else brew runs.  These should definitely replace the Lion instructions you have from me.  The segfault I mention is that broken wallet I sent you that I still haven't had time to dig into.

Oh, I forgot about the building-from-source page, there.  I updated the "Get Armory" page to link to one of your posts, but that should be updated as well.  I'm wondering if there is a more auto-up-to-date way we can have your solution linked from that page.

Also, I should investigate if there's a way for me to "approve" of a particular version of your build scripts.  Perhaps, a "formula" that I can manually verify is getting the code from github, and compiling everything from brew, and then put my GPG signature on it.  Not that I don't trust you, but I'm sure that you understand I don't want to sign a script that has an arbitrary download link on it that could be swapped out from under me/you/us (besides github links).

Or maybe you could help figure out a way to bundle it in a more-convenient way.  It's a lot easier for me to verify a solution, than it is to come up with it from scratch...

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 04:18:01 AM

Oh, I forgot about the building-from-source page, there.  I updated the "Get Armory" page to link to one of your posts, but that should be updated as well.  I'm wondering if there is a more auto-up-to-date way we can have your solution linked from that page.

Also, I should investigate if there's a way for me to "approve" of a particular version of your build scripts.  Perhaps, a "formula" that I can manually verify is getting the code from github, and compiling everything from brew, and then put my GPG signature on it.  Not that I don't trust you, but I'm sure that you understand I don't want to sign a script that has an arbitrary download link on it that could be swapped out from under me/you/us (besides github links).

Or maybe you could help figure out a way to bundle it in a more-convenient way.  It's a lot easier for me to verify a solution, than it is to come up with it from scratch...
If you `brew cat wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt` you can see what the (very short) formula does.  It even has the hash of the tar.gz from github in it so if someone changes the link, brew will give an error.

If you `brew fetch wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt` it will output the url and the hashes for the downloaded file without installing it.

You could also fork my bitcoin tap and use git to sign those release commits.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 04:21:27 AM

Oh, I forgot about the building-from-source page, there.  I updated the "Get Armory" page to link to one of your posts, but that should be updated as well.  I'm wondering if there is a more auto-up-to-date way we can have your solution linked from that page.

Also, I should investigate if there's a way for me to "approve" of a particular version of your build scripts.  Perhaps, a "formula" that I can manually verify is getting the code from github, and compiling everything from brew, and then put my GPG signature on it.  Not that I don't trust you, but I'm sure that you understand I don't want to sign a script that has an arbitrary download link on it that could be swapped out from under me/you/us (besides github links).

Or maybe you could help figure out a way to bundle it in a more-convenient way.  It's a lot easier for me to verify a solution, than it is to come up with it from scratch...
If you `brew cat wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt` you can see what the (very short) formula does.  It even has the hash of the tar.gz from github in it so if someone changes the link, brew will give an error.

If you `brew fetch wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt` it will output the url and the hashes for the downloaded file without installing it.

Do you think it would be [reasonably] possible to create a .dmg with all the dependencies?  Or is it a s***load of code/binaries to bundle?  It sounds like the script that goes and picks up the dependencies from brew is ideal, efficiency-wise, but does leave open subtle attack vectors (poisoning brew modules?).  I don't know ... I really want to support OSX users, but I have so little OSX experience...

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 04:39:30 AM

Oh, I forgot about the building-from-source page, there.  I updated the "Get Armory" page to link to one of your posts, but that should be updated as well.  I'm wondering if there is a more auto-up-to-date way we can have your solution linked from that page.

Also, I should investigate if there's a way for me to "approve" of a particular version of your build scripts.  Perhaps, a "formula" that I can manually verify is getting the code from github, and compiling everything from brew, and then put my GPG signature on it.  Not that I don't trust you, but I'm sure that you understand I don't want to sign a script that has an arbitrary download link on it that could be swapped out from under me/you/us (besides github links).

Or maybe you could help figure out a way to bundle it in a more-convenient way.  It's a lot easier for me to verify a solution, than it is to come up with it from scratch...
If you `brew cat wysenynja/bitcoin/armory-qt` you can see what the (very short) formula does.  It even has the hash of the tar.gz from github in it so if someone changes the link, brew will give an error.

Do you think it would be [reasonably] possible to create a .dmg with all the dependencies?  Or is it a s***load of code to bundle?  It sounds like the script that goes and picks up the dependencies from brew is ideal, efficiency-wise, but does leave open subtle attack vectors (poisoning brew modules?).  I don't know ... I really want to support OSX users, but I have so little OSX experience...
The dmg isn't the hard part.  Getting it into an app is the hard part.  I haven't experimented too much recently, but it was a PITA previously and I never really got it working.  I'll look at how electrum does it and try it again when I get the time.

I think a poisoned brew formula is highly unlikely.  The security paranoid could check hashes for all of the modules if they wish.  Brew can output a list of all the dependencies and you could check all of their hashes.  A script could feasibly be written to do this, but IMHO, it doesn't really matter.  Any significant amount of funds should be on an offline computer.

Here is a gist with my osx instructions for the people that want to do it all by hand. https://gist.github.com/4200620

I would definitely recommend the brew tap though as it is much easier and sets up a nice "ArmoryQt.command" for you

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 04:53:57 AM

Do you think it would be [reasonably] possible to create a .dmg with all the dependencies?  Or is it a s***load of code to bundle?  It sounds like the script that goes and picks up the dependencies from brew is ideal, efficiency-wise, but does leave open subtle attack vectors (poisoning brew modules?).  I don't know ... I really want to support OSX users, but I have so little OSX experience...
The dmg isn't the hard part.  Getting it into an app is the hard part.  I haven't experimented too much recently, but it was a PITA previously and I never really got it working.  I'll look at how electrum does it and try it again when I get the time.

I think a poisoned brew formula is highly unlikely.  The security paranoid could check hashes for all of the modules if they wish.  Brew can output a list of all the dependencies and you could check all of their hashes.  A script could feasibly be written to do this, but IMHO, it doesn't really matter.  Any significant amount of funds should be on an offline computer.

Some users still want to exercise some degree of due diligence on the install process for sanity's sake.  Not to mention, they may be using this script to setup an soon-to-be-offline OSX system...

I just need to dig in a bit more to see what it's doing before I can "bless it".  On that note, I just ran your 4-5 commands in my OSX VM ... slow as dirt (I think it's the VM), but it did work.  I'm looking at an Armory wallet and a couple tx in OSX.  I was at least able to get into the paper backup dialog so I could copy down the characters by hand, if necessary.

Very cool!  Thanks for doing this Red Emerald.  You have made it possible for even-mildly-determined users to get access to Armory!  (maybe I'll change the donation address to point to you when OS_MACOSX is detected, for one release cycle Smiley)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.