Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:54:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $1.6 million property purchased through bitpay  (Read 2314 times)
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:17:07 AM

that's quite a bit of money.. it would explain why the price has crashed yesterday-ish. it seems bitcoin's market cap is not nearly big enough to absorb this kind of action.

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2014/08/12/tech-entrepreneur-pays-1-6-million-in-bitcoins-for-tahoe-parcel/
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:21:49 AM

If the correlation is real, that would mean more merchants accepting bitcoin is bad for the price since the merchant probably won't hold the coin for long.

Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:32:54 AM

If the correlation is real, that would mean more merchants accepting bitcoin is bad for the price since the merchant probably won't hold the coin for long.

Uhh..ya think?

That's great to know, you guys better sell everything now while you still can.  Do it now.
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:39:20 AM

that's quite a bit of money.. it would explain why the price has crashed yesterday-ish. it seems bitcoin's market cap is not nearly big enough to absorb this kind of action.

So you are saying that Bitpay sold the coins in bitstamp the moment they got the order? I don't think that's the way things work.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:45:44 AM

So you are saying that Bitpay sold the coins in bitstamp the moment they got the order? I don't think that's the way things work.
I don't think so either
they may have a reserve of bitcoin and money and they do their own transfer in payments
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:02:13 AM

i'm not 100% certain how the exchanges work, but i'm assuming it works under supply/demand economics. if $1.6 million in bitcoin flooded the supply side, then prices will end up dropping if demand is roughly the same.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:33:45 AM

That's a good purchase for a property
Not sure what the largest one is though but it must be close to the top.

The buyer purchased a 1.4 acre home site in what is the final offering of 42 home sites at the resort, which is near Truckee. Finished homes are pricey at the resort, selling for $3-5 million.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
EricTyle

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:56:43 AM

I don't think so either
they may have a reserve of bitcoin and money and they do their own transfer in payments

I'm pretty sure they do it off the exchange books. I'm pretty sure that they have some like Nigerian and Arabic princes they sell to.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:09:40 AM

Pretty nice investment if you ask me. That's prime retreat territory and will easily sell for more down the line once the area is more developed or maybe there's a deal w/ a developer to build a nice pad and they split the profits later or something. These parcels of land are straight out of the area known as the Ponderosa in the 60s-70s popular show albeit not immediately adjacent to the massive lake.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:24:31 AM

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2014/08/12/tech-entrepreneur-pays-1-6-million-in-bitcoins-for-tahoe-parcel/

Well in fact the real thing is that, the market cap is not big enough, or the volume on the exchanges is not big enough.. but at the end this actions can help us, people will realize that they can put some savings on bitcoin and be safe.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:45:34 AM

i'm not 100% certain how the exchanges work, but i'm assuming it works under supply/demand economics. if $1.6 million in bitcoin flooded the supply side, then prices will end up dropping if demand is roughly the same.
This would have a negative effect on prices, however it is likely a small transaction when compared to total exchange volume. I would also assume that bitpay would likely sell their coins on multiple exchanges to avoid impacting the price on just one exchange, creating the opportunity to arb. 
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 06:44:10 PM

Short-term bearish, but vital in the long term to the Bitcoin economy's success.

Every time another merchant supports BTC payment via instant-cash-out, it increases the sell pressure, yes. But it also makes bitcoins more useful as current money. Which means that the more merchants support BTC payment, whether through instant-cash-out or not, the less need there is for the next merchant to use instant-cash-out instead of just using the bitcoins to pay their suppliers.

Instant cash out is a necessary stepping stone. That the price would be depressed during this phase, especially in the case of big ICO purchases, is not a mystery.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

This would have a negative effect on prices, however it is likely a small transaction when compared to total exchange volume. I would also assume that bitpay would likely sell their coins on multiple exchanges to avoid impacting the price on just one exchange, creating the opportunity to arb. 
The 24-hour volume of the top three exchanges is about $8 million on an average day. Even spread across all three markets, a $1.6 million sell is 20% of that - a huge ratio for a single trade.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Qoheleth
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 06:55:51 PM

As circumstantial evidence supporting this theory, it's worth pointing out that the drops on Bitstamp at least seem to be correlated to very large single trades:

(The time per candle is 1 minute, which is about as fine-grained as bitcoincharts will go.)

BTC_Fundamentals

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:06:34 PM

that is some big trade using BTC, how fast will the prices go normal again ?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:06:56 PM

Uhh..ya think?

Short term yes this has a negative on price. But increased utility is obviously accretive to value.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:15:34 PM

Hold it. Are you implying that that Bitpay doesnt sell the bitcoins to cover the purchase price?
In other words, you think they are gambling with their customers (the recipients) money? So, in case they wait "for the price to recover", and it doesnt (e.g. because a lot of other people are also spending a couple of $M shortly afterwards), the recipient might not get his money?
Who covers the risks in that case? Buyer will probably want whatever he bought, and seller his money ...
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:20:38 PM

Hold it. Are you implying that that Bitpay doesnt sell the bitcoins to cover the purchase price?
In other words, you think they are gambling with their customers (the recipients) money? So, in case they wait "for the price to recover", and it doesnt (e.g. because a lot of other people are also spending a couple of $M shortly afterwards), the recipient might not get his money?
Who covers the risks in that case? Buyer will probably want whatever he bought, and seller his money ...

Exactly. That's precisely how it works mr. cow herder.
An amorous cow-herder

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:22:24 PM

Exactly. That's precisely how it works mr. cow herder.
Which one. They sell immediatly, or they dump in small batches?
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:23:40 PM

It definitely works this way actually, otherwise they would be exposed to a huge risk in case of fluctuations.

Which one. They sell immediatly, or they dump in small batches?
They obviously sell immediately, otherwise it would be gambling, as you yourself pointed out.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: