Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:18:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any ideas for a portable mining rig  (Read 1504 times)
gorgo1 (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 03:17:41 PM

Hi,
I'm new here but I wish to make a start into the mining business to get things going.

First thing I have to think about is what sort of rig I wanna make:
I have a plan that goes something like this:
1.The computer can be one of those portable desktops (SFF type cases) or a cheap netbook with an fpga.
2.I plan to make it a small desktop (Shuttle Pc like size,SFF type cases)
3.I want to know how to cram as much power into that small factor.I need the portability,discrete and compact attributes. I don't want a large rig taking up too much space on my desk at home or at work. (when the office closes at the end of hte day,I wanna b abl to take it home with me so the boss can't bust me for mining)
4.I'd like everything else to be cheap (like mobo,cpu,ram,SSD as HDDs take up more space)
5.I'd like the OS to be either win 7 or another OS that performs better with mining GPUs or FPGAs
6.I want an easy solution to setup as I'm not too gd with computers if FPGAs are recommended 4 me in this case.

SO guys what cases and hardware can fit the bill? I'll need links for EU (prices should b in euros) type sites as I live in EU (not US so don't give me USD prices as that's no gd 4 me)
I'm open to the possibility that FPGAs can complement the single dual GPU that can typically fit into a SFF case,plus the remaining space can b used by something else (not sure what though)

I have access to free elec (so a hi-performance monster GPU can be added without worry of hte utility bill for strting off)

Thanks.I'm new to the mining rig side of things.

18dYSssmxr2wkKvQ9a84m8Wbw7HvELjJSM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 03:27:55 PM

Hi,
I'm new here but I wish to make a start into the mining business to get things going.

First thing I have to think about is what sort of rig I wanna make:
I have a plan that goes something like this:
1.The computer can be one of those portable desktops (SFF type cases) or a cheap netbook with an fpga.
2.I plan to make it a small desktop (Shuttle Pc like size,SFF type cases)
3.I want to know how to cram as much power into that small factor.I need the portability,discrete and compact attributes. I don't want a large rig taking up too much space on my desk at home or at work. (when the office closes at the end of hte day,I wanna b abl to take it home with me so the boss can't bust me for mining)
4.I'd like everything else to be cheap (like mobo,cpu,ram,SSD as HDDs take up more space)
5.I'd like the OS to be either win 7 or another OS that performs better with mining GPUs or FPGAs
6.I want an easy solution to setup as I'm not too gd with computers if FPGAs are recommended 4 me in this case.

SO guys what cases and hardware can fit the bill? I'll need links for EU (prices should b in euros) type sites as I live in EU (not US so don't give me USD prices as that's no gd 4 me)
I'm open to the possibility that FPGAs can complement the single dual GPU that can typically fit into a SFF case,plus the remaining space can b used by something else (not sure what though)

I have access to free elec (so a hi-performance monster GPU can be added without worry of hte utility bill for strting off)

Thanks.I'm new to the mining rig side of things.

So it looks like you are planning to build a portable desktop to bring to work so you can steal electricity from your employer Huh

Good luck with that and hope you get the door.

Stealing electricity = shame on you !

gorgo1 (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 03:34:57 PM

So it looks like you are planning to build a portable desktop to bring to work so you can steal electricity from your employer Huh

Good luck with that and hope you get the door.

Stealing electricity = shame on you !

The portable desktop idea was actually meant to be an interesting challenge where the main mining environment would be in hte home. in response to your other point,well let me put it to you this way, why judge people when they simply want to achieve something different.Also countless people have 'leeched' energy from an employer and many remain not caught to this day. Also don't be so judgemental to others when they simply want to prove that a different way of mining rig building may be possible. Anyway what hardware is recommended for the build?

Also have you ever stole electricity from your workplace? If so u hav n right to judge,now do u?

18dYSssmxr2wkKvQ9a84m8Wbw7HvELjJSM
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 03:45:39 PM

The issue is energy in = energy out.

Making a compact device which requires large amounts of energy isn't tough but cooling it is.  It is going to require massive airflow.  So think pair of 5970 with fans @ 100% and some Delta screamers @ 80 db forcing hundreds of cubic feet of air per minute into the case.  Maybe another Delta screamer out the "exhaust" grill to lower air pressure.

Sitting on your desk I would imagine that will be very obnoxious.  There is a reason my 5970 farm is in in the garage.

Also stealing is stealing.  If I ask my employer can I charge my android phone or kindle at work they would say "no problem".  If I say can I plug this loud, hot, power guzzling device that produces $500 per month for me and consumes $100 in company electricty I doubt they would say "no problem".

I haven't check yet but I am pretty sure they wouldn't like it.

With watercooling you could get the noise down but you greatly increase the cost and complexity and stealing is still stealing.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 03:46:57 PM

You should think about impact on your jobs if you get caught versus profit from mining.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 03:53:11 PM

Here EU pricing for a Radeon Hd6990 : http://www.amazon.fr/Asus-Graphique-Radeon-HD6990-EAH6990/dp/B004RBWLZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332690100&sr=8-1

I know it's amazon and that it's from France but if you shop around in the EU you can get some pretty good pricing (depends on where you live).

I hope this helps you for which GPU can fit into a rather tight SFF case. Do consider the noise and heat issues as well though. You should make sure to use good fans in that case. I don't care what uses a PC is used for. I prefer to help everyone as this helps me learn more about other approaches to BTC mining rigs (as I'll be researching different types of rigs and which approach fits best for people).

So what if OP wants to use workplace electricity as well as his own? That's his responsibility.If he gets fired so be it. I'd personally recommend that you (OP) reconsider your plan on using that mining rig at work (even for the free utilities there) because the noise of that mining rig can be rather loud and annoy other people in your workplace as well.

Having a powerful GPU will also mean looking for a beefy PSU.This will be harder to find for SFF cases that it would for a regular desktop case. So consider that as well.Finding smaller parts to fit will not be easy at all OP.

Ethics aside for utility use,it is ultimately your responsibility OP to make these decisions for yourself,even if they seem (or probably are) stupid/wrong.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: